Help! Box For Cake?

Decorating By Neelas_wife Updated 10 May 2009 , 1:18pm by ptanyer

Neelas_wife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Neelas_wife Posted 7 May 2009 , 7:50pm
post #1 of 8

Hello everyone - so this is my first two tiered cake (MM fondant decor - cakes stacked one over the other) and she will pick up tomo evening.

12" + 8" - Is there a cake box I can buy from michaels?
How do you deliver tiered cakes?

Plsssss let me know.

7 replies
cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 7 May 2009 , 7:53pm
post #2 of 8

Yes, Michael's will have a 12" x 12" x 6" that you can use. And then you can get an 8" x 8" x 6" as well. So you will have to box them individually and then tier them when you get there. Or you could go to Walmart and get a big shipping box. I put the bottom together with tape. And then leave the top open (if you need the space). You can always put a new trash bag over the top to stop rain and dust from getting in. Then I make a vertical cut down to of the edges to put the cake into the box. And then I tape those two sides back up.

Hope this helps!

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 8 May 2009 , 4:53am
post #3 of 8

It sounds to me like the customer is picking the cake up themselves. I'm assuming the cake will be assembled and ready for display when she picks it up? If so then I would go with a shipping box and instruct the customer to keep the box very level and to not let it slide around too much. Then to take it out, tell her to cut the box away from the cake rather than try to lift it out.

If it's not going to be assembled, then give her very clear instructions on how to assemble it and remind her that once the cake leaves your hands, it's no longer your responsibility if anything happens to it.

Neelas_wife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Neelas_wife Posted 8 May 2009 , 6:00pm
post #4 of 8

Thank you Cylstrial and Rose.....Very helpful info. I picked up a shipping box from walmart and Rose special thanks for the valuable advise on what needs to be done by the customer...Have a good weekend both of u....I am so waiting to finish on my cakeicon_smile.gif Praying it should turn out fine.... TC

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 8 May 2009 , 6:13pm
post #5 of 8

I use cardboard shipping boxes turned on end so that you can slide the cake into and close the flaps in front like a door (rather than trying to place it down into a deep box with the opening a the top).

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 9 May 2009 , 1:20pm
post #6 of 8

Another thought that I do is to cut a square of that spongy shelf liner and place underneath the cake in the box. It will keep the cake from sliding around.

1234me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1234me Posted 10 May 2009 , 11:16am
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkZiab

I use cardboard shipping boxes turned on end so that you can slide the cake into and close the flaps in front like a door (rather than trying to place it down into a deep box with the opening a the top).

I do this too. I buy the 14x14 box from WalMart ($2.96 here) and place the shelf liner in the bottom like the above poster. It works great!

ptanyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ptanyer Posted 10 May 2009 , 1:18pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by wendyintx

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkZiab

I do this too. I buy the 14x14 box from WalMart ($2.96 here) and place the shelf liner in the bottom like the above poster. It works great!

I also give a small piece of the shelf liner to the client to put the cake box on when they place it in their car, so it won't slide around on them. My customers have thought it was the greatest thing. I love little touches that I can do to make everything stress free for them. I even provide little pre-made candle holes in fondant for birthday candles.

Pam

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%