Need Emergency Help! Cake Split! Do I Start Over?

Decorating By cakedesigner59 Updated 7 May 2009 , 11:06pm by mbt4955

cakedesigner59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedesigner59 Posted 7 May 2009 , 7:12pm
post #1 of 9

Never has happened to me before. The second layer of my base tier split right in half when I was putting in onto the bottom layer. Do I need to re-bake? Or would you use it? OMG, this has been one problem after another!
Thanks.

8 replies
kerri729 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kerri729 Posted 7 May 2009 , 8:02pm
post #2 of 9

Ouch, how big is this layer- and is it round, square, etc?, and what are you using to stack your cake- ie: dowels, pillars, etc? I like using icing as glue to fix boo boo's, but depends on what you are doing beyond the base tier........

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 7 May 2009 , 8:06pm
post #3 of 9

it should be fine, ive done it a few times! just use some icing to glue it together again.
even if you are stacking, its the dowels etc that do the supporting, so it sould be fine.
xx

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 7 May 2009 , 8:08pm
post #4 of 9

I have been having this problem too and I finally started filling the bottom tier frozen. I was too stressed to take a chance on another cake breaking, so I freeze, dam, fill and crumbcoat but only the big bottom tier. I haven't had any complaints, so I guess it has worked out okay.

cakedesigner59 Posted 7 May 2009 , 8:09pm
post #5 of 9

Thanks....I freaked (like I said, first time it has happened to me). I pitched it in the trash. I just didn't want to worry about it splitting upon delivery. It was a 12" square. I swear, this is the cake from hades. This is the third time I've baked it...the first time I forgot 2/3 cup of water. Aggggh. And once ONE thing goes wrong (with me), then I start screwing up EVERYTHING. It snowballs. Breathe.....Breathe.....

smbegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smbegg Posted 7 May 2009 , 8:11pm
post #6 of 9

It depends on what kind of cake it is! If you are doing a tiered cake that you have to use it as support, I would rebake. But if it is just a 2 layer cake, I would frost it together.

Stephanie

Daisy1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Daisy1 Posted 7 May 2009 , 9:33pm
post #7 of 9

I agree with re-baking. If it's the bottom of a tiered cake.

cakedesigner59 Posted 7 May 2009 , 10:11pm
post #8 of 9

It's a 12" square bottom of a tiered cake, but it was the top layer (2 -2" layers). The bottom layer was butter cake, the top layer was chocolate (that's the one that broke). I did re-bake the chocolate. Wish me luck that I don't bust it in half again when I put it on the butter layer. Grrrrrrr. Thanks, everyone!

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 7 May 2009 , 11:06pm
post #9 of 9

Fingers crossed, cakedesigner59! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%