First Topsy-Turvy Cake! Starting To Get Nervous!

Decorating By SJ169 Updated 13 May 2009 , 2:38am by jsmith

SJ169 Posted 7 May 2009 , 6:14pm
post #1 of 14

Alrighty I am attempting to make my very first "topsy turvy" cake this weekend for my sisters birthday and i am starting to freak out a little bit!
Does anyone have any good pointers or tips? I really want it to look great for her but im so nervous!
Any pointers or words of wisdom would help alot!!

13 replies
crystalina1977 Posted 7 May 2009 , 6:18pm
post #2 of 14

i too will be making my first TT cake for next weekend. there is a couple of really great tutorials here that i have read and re-read...i feel ready for the challenge! good luck to you, can't wait to see your pics!

pouchet82 Posted 7 May 2009 , 6:23pm
post #3 of 14

I read the tutorials here and I also bought Lindy Smith's book. Both were really helpful. I found it easiest to carve the cake when in was frozen. Don't get disouraged. and make sure to use support/dowels! I didn't support my first TT, and the top tier started to sink into the bottom. Ooopies. Lesson learned icon_smile.gif

SJ169 Posted 7 May 2009 , 6:51pm
post #4 of 14

oh i have read to much and watched so many video's (just a little bit intimidated)..
what type of fondant do you guys use?
I use MMF, should that be okay? What i am the most scared of it putting the fondant on once the cake is carved, im scared it will rip or tear or i wont have made it big enough! eeek!
(at least it's for my sister, so if it goes wrong i wont feel to to bad icon_rolleyes.gif )

poohsmomma Posted 7 May 2009 , 8:09pm
post #5 of 14

Hey, guys, I'm working on my first TT cake right now!
I have actually dreamed about it for the last week...or should I say I've had nightmares!
I just finished stacking and carving and crumb coating them. It has rained here for the last week, and the humidity is killing me; my crumb coat won't crust.
The friend I'm making this for wants butter cream, so I'm a little uneasy about getting that smooth and stacking without sticking my big fingers in it somewhere.

How cool that we're all taking this "journey" together.

SJ169 Posted 7 May 2009 , 8:15pm
post #6 of 14

OH you will have to post a picture of the finished product!! I dont have to actually put the cake together till Monday! so i have a bit more time to prepare!
Good luck with yours!!

poohsmomma Posted 8 May 2009 , 1:16am
post #7 of 14

Well, I have had a cake-tastrophe....
I probably rushed it. I torted, filled, sliced, and stacked while they were semifrozen. (It was only 2 tiers) I let them thaw then crumb coated. After about 2 hours I started to frost with butter cream. That worked pretty well. My shapes were good, and I had support in the lower tier. When the buttercream finally set up, I stacked the top tier. It was fine for a while, then the lower tier started to split. I'm thinking maybe my cut-out on the bottom tier was a little small or else I didn't hit the exact center. Anyway, I am baking another cake as I type. I think this one will be just plain ol' normal tiers.

Loucinda Posted 8 May 2009 , 1:39am
post #8 of 14

I did my first ones a few weeks ago (both all buttercream) I did not freeze mine though. I just baked them a day ahead of time and let them set overnight to settle.

I used the tutorial on here by BKeith - it worked out just fine. Make sure you cut the hole for the upper layer to set in big enough. that was the only issue I had.

Mine are in my pics if you want to see them.

jsmith Posted 8 May 2009 , 1:46am
post #9 of 14

Here's a video I made that might help you get a visual of how to make them. Hope that helps.

Cathy26 Posted 8 May 2009 , 5:47pm
post #10 of 14

[quote="jsmith"]Here's a video I made that might help you get a visual of how to make them. Hope that helps.[/quote]

just wanted to say, your cakes are absolutly amazing particularly your carved ones and your gumpaste roses are exquisite - they look like antique china icon_smile.gif

jsmith Posted 8 May 2009 , 7:06pm
post #11 of 14

Thanks so much Cathy! You just made my day. You're cakes are very beautiful too! icon_smile.gif

SJ169 Posted 12 May 2009 , 5:54pm
post #12 of 14

YAY it worked!! Thank you so much jsmith i actually had watched your video before on you tube! and i also watched it during the process of the carving! I actually think the carving was the hardest part (my arm was really tired after). I travelled with the cake for about and hour and it was all good! Thank you so much for the tips! My sister loved the cake!!

nfanel Posted 12 May 2009 , 11:49pm
post #13 of 14
Originally Posted by jsmith

Here's a video I made that might help you get a visual of how to make them. Hope that helps.

thank you for the tutorial - it is great!

jsmith Posted 13 May 2009 , 2:38am
post #14 of 14

I'm glad it helped. Your cake turned out beautiful. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%