Advice And Adding Free "fancy" To Cheap Cakes..

Business By sweetartbakery Updated 8 May 2009 , 1:16am by kandu001

sweetartbakery Posted 7 May 2009 , 5:51pm
post #1 of 4

I'm new here! LOVE this site!
I just started a home bakery. All is well, and I must say that I'm fairly busy and get lots of compliments, BUT I'm not getting any big orders that will allow me to show off my stuff or at least practice. What I get are lots of birthday cakes that are for 10 people, people wanting sheet cakes, etc. I WANT to do gum paste flowers, and hand-carved cakes. So just for experience I've been adding that to cakes when I only charged people for the basic (and they agreed to the basic). I don't know how else to build up a photo gallery. Is this crazy? I thought of doing a bridal show or maybe just some cake dummies too.. Any thoughts on how to attract people that want the big things? I hate to even do a plain cake because i'm afraid is looks like I can only do plain stuff to those seeing the cake at a party. should I even offer a plain option? Or just stick it out and offer the nicer things and wait until I find the right people?
so many questions!
Thanks for reading my novel!
Christy

3 replies
bisbqueenb Posted 7 May 2009 , 6:58pm
post #2 of 4

Doings thing to LEARN is fine but be sure to let the customer know they are getting a bit extra because you wanted to try a new technique/style...what ever...so they don't think this is the normal for what they ordered. I often try new things on long time customers....but a always let them know they are getting something special because I WANTED to try it and that it is not something that I will do for everyone at that price! And I've been doing this for a LONG time [ 30 + years! ].....and I am STILL learning new things I want to try....thanks to the internet and CC!

melodyscakes Posted 7 May 2009 , 7:10pm
post #3 of 4

I would not NOT do a bridal show unless you have a lisence from the health department!
you could however do cakes for your family and friends and tell them that you wanted to "upgrade" their cake so that you could practice a new style or technique...just don't charge them for it, because they didn't order it.
when I first started I made my friends cakes, but they let me do whatever I wanted...so I did and practiced new stuff.

have fun!

kandu001 Posted 8 May 2009 , 1:16am
post #4 of 4

Your work is beautiful! I agree that you should let them know why they got extra fancy designs for free so that they don't expect it next time!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%