How Much Luster Dust?

Decorating By crcl72 Updated 7 May 2009 , 7:13pm by jlynnw

crcl72 Posted 7 May 2009 , 4:41pm
post #1 of 4

I am making a three tiered (double layers) with 10, 8 and 6" rounds. How much silver luster dust do I need? I'm going to mix with vodka and paint it on. Is there a guide for figuring how much colorant and/ luster dust to add? Thanks so much for your help!

3 replies
ninatat Posted 7 May 2009 , 5:25pm
post #2 of 4

HI all, i wanted to buy some luster dust, can you steer me in the right direction of someplace with the best price. Thanks

kerri729 Posted 7 May 2009 , 7:05pm
post #3 of 4

crcl72,
I used two of the little jars of gold luster dust on the cake here.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=854363

The two tiers painted with it were the 14 and 10 inch tiers, and they are 4 inches high, so you would likely use about the same amount if you tiers are 4 inches high. Just mix the luster dust in a bowl with the vodka or I used lemon extract, and it doesn't affect the flavor, you want the consistency to be a really thin paint- equivalent to wall paint for a house. HTH thumbs_up.gif
Kerri

jlynnw Posted 7 May 2009 , 7:13pm
post #4 of 4

there is also some silver luster paint that is already mixed that works great too! It comes in white pearl, gold, silver, and I think copper. See if your shop has it. But 2 to 3 jars would be what you need.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%