Coffee Creamer?

Decorating By mellee Updated 7 May 2009 , 6:04pm by mellee

mellee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellee Posted 7 May 2009 , 4:11pm
post #1 of 6

Hi everyone! icon_smile.gif I see lots of recipes that mention using coffee creamers of varying flavors, sometimes in the icing and sometimes in the cake batter. What I was wondering was is the coffee creamer used usually a liquid or a powder? Once in a while I'll see a recipe where it will say one or the other, but usually I just see "coffee creamer" as an ingredient. Also, if the recipe DOES mean powder, should it be mixed with water to constitute it first?

Sorry if this sounds like a dumb question. I think coffee creamers might be able to add a really nice flavor dimension to a lot of recipes, but I just want to make sure I'm doing it right. So.....liquid or powder? What do you usually use? Thanks for any help anyone can give! icon_smile.gif

5 replies
armywifebryan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
armywifebryan Posted 7 May 2009 , 5:27pm
post #2 of 6

Whenever I use the flavored creamer in my recipes I use the liquid. The powder makes my husband and I sick to our stomachs. Not sure why. I've never had any problems with the liquid and my recipes always come out great. Good luck.

Teresa

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 7 May 2009 , 5:38pm
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by armywifebryan

Whenever I use the flavored creamer in my recipes I use the liquid. The powder makes my husband and I sick to our stomachs. Not sure why. I've never had any problems with the liquid and my recipes always come out great. Good luck.

Teresa

That's so interesting! Powdered coffee creamer makes me very nauseated, but the liquid creamers don't. I'm glad to hear I am not alone (although I am sorry we can't stomach the powdered creamers icon_wink.gif ).

SUELA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SUELA Posted 7 May 2009 , 5:47pm
post #4 of 6

I always use the liquid. If it called for powdered I think they expect to be added straight to the mix, no reconstituted.

I often use a buttermilk powder that you add straight in without making it a liquid first.

cinjam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cinjam Posted 7 May 2009 , 5:51pm
post #5 of 6

I substitute about 1/2 the water a box mix calles for with liquid coffee creamer. Sometimes, when I want the flavor a bit stronger than usual, I will through in about a tablesppon of the powdered version (in addition to the liquid version).

mellee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellee Posted 7 May 2009 , 6:04pm
post #6 of 6

Thank you so much for these responses! It really helps a lot! There seems to be more and yummier flavors of the liquid coffee creamer out there, so that's what I'll try. I've never used it in my coffee, so I really don't know anything about it. I still won't because it's so sweet, but it'll be perfect for baked goods. I read something in another thread where someone said something about Italian Sweet Cream Coffeemate flavor, so I just got back from WalMart with some. Wow! It's delicious! I can't wait to dream up something to put it in! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%