My Vision

Decorating By tiggerjo Updated 7 May 2009 , 5:02pm by Texas_Rose

tiggerjo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggerjo Posted 7 May 2009 , 4:06pm
post #1 of 3

I'm sure you have all heard the expression that the eyes are too big for the belly...well my visions are too big for my achieved talent. I want to make a quilt out of fondant with a design in each square ( an anchor, sailboat and lighthouse). The question is how do i do this? I was going to make the individual designs and then lay them on my quilt square and go over it with the rolling pin. I fear this may distort the design. HELP, any suggestions???

2 replies
nonnyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nonnyscakes Posted 7 May 2009 , 4:53pm
post #2 of 3

If you can find cutters in those shapes, you could cut them out of the quilt and then replace them with cutouts in a different color.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 7 May 2009 , 5:02pm
post #3 of 3

I would make a pattern with waxed paper or parchment paper and cut the pieces out of fondant with an exacto knife. Cut a plain square of fondant for each quilt block. Glue the pieces onto the plain squares and you'll have a block that you can pick up. You can smooth the edges together a little bit with your fingers. A real quilt isn't one solid piece, so it would add to the realism of it if it looks pieced together.

I've been wanting to do a quilt cake too, but I wanted to do a tumbling blocks pattern. I haven't got around to it yet though.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%