How To Make Gelatin Bows & Flowers

Decorating By justdi Updated 24 Jan 2017 , 12:26pm by CalaMom

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 3:15pm
post #661 of 887

You might try attaching with piping gel.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 3:44pm
post #662 of 887
Quote:
Quote:

My first kink came today when I could NOT get a bow to attach to a fondant cake. I tried a dab of water, hot gelatin, piping gel.....augh!

Piping gel was already tried, and it didn't work.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 3:48pm
post #663 of 887

Piping gel doesn't work on fondant except for the attaching Disco Dust.

JohnnyCakes1966 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JohnnyCakes1966 Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 4:04pm
post #664 of 887

Is it possible to attach the bow (or more like hold it in place) with a toothpick? The toothpick could be hidden in the folds of the bow. It wouldn't be totally secure, but might keep it from sliding off.

I thought of this because my grandma (who was born in the very late 1800s and was an amazing baker...I use a lot of her original recipes) used to hold her cake layers together with 3 toothpicks. For us kids, if you got a toothpick, it was like finding the baby in the King Cake! icon_biggrin.gif

bobwonderbuns Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 4:17pm
post #665 of 887

Toothpicks may shatter the gelatin. You can try it to see if it works, but I'm inclined to think it won't.

JohnnyCakes1966 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JohnnyCakes1966 Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 4:30pm
post #666 of 887

OK...I haven't worked with the gelatin yet, but thought I read that it remains pliable, so I thought a toothpick might go through it. Hmmm.....Maybe heat a straight pin (about the size of a toothpick) with hot water and press it into the gelatin until it dissolves a tiny hole, then stick the toothpick in the hole? (I wouldn't wet the toothpick because it could retain water and continue dissolving the gelatin!) I don't know, but there must be a way to do it! icon_lol.gif

bobwonderbuns Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 5:47pm
post #667 of 887
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCakes1966

OK...I haven't worked with the gelatin yet, but thought I read that it remains pliable, so I thought a toothpick might go through it. Hmmm.....Maybe heat a straight pin (about the size of a toothpick) with hot water and press it into the gelatin until it dissolves a tiny hole, then stick the toothpick in the hole? (I wouldn't wet the toothpick because it could retain water and continue dissolving the gelatin!) I don't know, but there must be a way to do it! icon_lol.gif

It's hard to explain without showing you, the gelatin does remain pliable, meaning you could take a leaf and gently wrap it around your finger and the heat of your finger will help it curl. But it's also rigid enough that it can be cut with scissors, which is why I say it may shatter when a toothpick is poked through it. Does that make sense? It's hard to explain, you really have to see it and be familiar with it.

Loucinda Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 9:36pm
post #668 of 887

I just got a call from Di's husband. The new books are being printed right now, they should have them next week! He said the new stuff is unbelievable - I can't wait to get my hands on it to check it out!! icon_biggrin.gif Woo hoo!!!!

bobwonderbuns Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 12:47am
post #669 of 887

Well what the heck, this thing unclicked itself and it's no wonder I'm not getting notices!! icon_cry.gif

bobwonderbuns Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 1:00am
post #670 of 887
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loucinda

I just got a call from Di's husband. The new books are being printed right now, they should have them next week! He said the new stuff is unbelievable - I can't wait to get my hands on it to check it out!! icon_biggrin.gif Woo hoo!!!!

Next week???? SWEEETTT!!!! I can hardly wait!!! (Hope she's feeling better! I know she's been sick for a while now!)

SharonK1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SharonK1973 Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 6:19pm
post #671 of 887

I got taken off the "watch this topic" list for this thread and just came across the thread again! I have attached the bows to cakes before. All used was some buttercream dots and that kept it in place. For the ribbon parts, I also made sure to secure it in place with the bottom border of the cake. Can't remember if I have posted pictures in an earlier part of the thread back when I got notifications from this thread. But here they are again in case you want to see how that came out for me...
LL
LL
LL
LL

SharonK1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SharonK1973 Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 6:20pm
post #672 of 887

Oh Shoot! Sorry to post duplicate pictures! Didn't realize that happened until I submitted!

Loucinda Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 8:56pm
post #673 of 887

GORGEOUS!!

Julisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Julisa Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 2:06am
post #674 of 887

Ok. I tried and tried to read the entire thread. My eyes are poping out of my head.

I didn't have any impression mats, so went to Hobby Lobby and started looking around. Well I bought a sheet of plastic "tin roofing" that is used in doll houses. It had a nice little pattern on it. It worked great. I also bought a sheet of plexy (spell???) glass to make some smooth ribbons. After I cooked it and poured it onto the glass I sprinkled edible silver glitter on it. When it dried I tried cutting out some shapes with the Cricut. Cuts great, but most of it cracked or tore while trying to take them off the mat. It had to be sticky enough to hold the gelitan sheet in place, but then you can't get them off. So I just cut ribbons with the smooth glitter sheets. The first batch I made took 2 days to dry completely because of the humidity. I bought a dehumidifier and was able to dry the sheets in 6 to 8 hours. Helped A BUNCH!!!
I don't have any pictures to post because I haven't actually made the bow yet. Kinda scared it won't look good icon_redface.gif I also want to use one of the strips arond the side fo the cake and I am worried how I will get it to stick tothe fondant. Anyway just wanted to put in my two cents worth. Maybe it might help some one. Thank you all for your posts.

Loucinda Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 2:10am
post #675 of 887

Julisa - we would love to see what your's looks like! That is cool that you found something that will work too....always looking for new ways to use different things for new effects! icon_smile.gif

kimmerly1966 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmerly1966 Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 11:58am
post #676 of 887

WOW I can't wait to try this! It's amazing being new to caking how many different types of medium there is and how many different ways to do things!! It's such a great creative outlet!! icon_smile.gif

Midnight_Crafter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Midnight_Crafter Posted 2 May 2010 , 9:32am
post #677 of 887

I can't tear myself away...I can't wait to try this!!

sweetjan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjan Posted 2 May 2010 , 10:57am
post #678 of 887

Loucinda, please let us know when the books come out! Can't wait!

Loucinda Posted 2 May 2010 , 1:31pm
post #679 of 887

They should be out any day. As soon as I get mine, I will definately post about it. I know everyone that sees the bows/butterflies/flowers in person are just in awe of them. It is something that intrigues them, because it is such a new technique.

Loucinda Posted 4 May 2010 , 12:05am
post #680 of 887

Here is a link that may be helpful to those just learning the techniques:

http://www.cakeconnection.com/gelatin_art.html#ga_video

Cookncakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookncakes Posted 4 May 2010 , 3:49am
post #681 of 887

My daughter and I made our first batch this weekend. The bows and butterflies all turned out great. It was so much fun. I think we are going to be needing more of the impression mats! Thanks for all of the good hints on here!

margi24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
margi24 Posted 6 May 2010 , 5:43am
post #682 of 887

hi guys, i'm loving this thread. I'm still reading it but just wanted to ask a question before i have to get kids up for school. Im planning on doing a blown sugar topper for crystal & pearl cake (pale ivory fondant with pale gold pearls & accents) i'm 90% sure the blown sugar wont work out as iv never done it before so seeing this thread has inspired me to try gelatin, my question is could i brush gelatin on to very small different sized balloons to create bubbles? Or is there another way to acieve this? Im going to make a gelatin bow to keep anyway as a back up plan, unless anyone can suggest something different as a gelatin topper (not butterflies or flowers, beautiful as they are they wont go with the theme)
thanks in advance, i'v learned pretty much everything i know from you lovely ladies & gents on this site.

Loucinda Posted 6 May 2010 , 12:18pm
post #683 of 887

I don't think anyone has ever tried to make a bubble, I am not sure how it would work. I think the only issue you might have would be the gelatin not wanting to release from the balloon - it would be real easy to try it and see though. Just do a small one and see. Please post back and let us know how it turns out if you try it. icon_smile.gif

(maybe spray the balloon with non stick spray before brushing the gelatin on?? - again, never done it, so I don't know how it would work!)

Loucinda Posted 6 May 2010 , 2:11pm
post #684 of 887

GOT MY NEW BOOK TODAY!!!! (autographed and numbered!) icon_biggrin.gif I can't wait to get started on the new stuff in there....
carnation
calla lily
geranium
gladiolous
orchid
poinsettia
rose
tulip & crocus
foilage
and several versions of bows! icon_biggrin.gif

Another hit, without a doubt!! Thank you Di and Michaelle - I just love this technique. You all need to order yours now too. icon_smile.gif

margi24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
margi24 Posted 6 May 2010 , 4:10pm
post #685 of 887
Quote:

I don't think anyone has ever tried to make a bubble, I am not sure how it would work. I think the only issue you might have would be the gelatin not wanting to release from the balloon - it would be real easy to try it and see though. Just do a small one and see. Please post back and let us know how it turns out if you try it. icon_smile.gif

(maybe spray the balloon with non stick spray before brushing the gelatin on?? - again, never done it, so I don't know how it would work!)

i thought about popping the balloon to release it or put small hole in to let the air out ha i might try it at the weekend

Loucinda Posted 6 May 2010 , 6:52pm
post #686 of 887

Yes, I agree, pop the balloon, I know when I use them to make chocolate bowls I had to use something to "help" it release the chocolate...which is why I wonder if the gelatin would let go, or try to hang when the balloon is popped. Please try it and let us know!!

I am still checking out the new book! icon_biggrin.gif

bobwonderbuns Posted 6 May 2010 , 8:20pm
post #687 of 887
Quote:

GOT MY NEW BOOK TODAY!!!! (autographed and numbered!) icon_biggrin.gif I can't wait to get started on the new stuff in there....
carnation
calla lily
geranium
gladiolous
orchid
poinsettia
rose
tulip & crocus
foilage
and several versions of bows! icon_biggrin.gif

Another hit, without a doubt!! Thank you Di and Michaelle - I just love this technique. You all need to order yours now too. icon_smile.gif

What the heck??? Where's mine????? icon_cry.gif

Loucinda Posted 7 May 2010 , 12:37am
post #688 of 887

I'll share! icon_smile.gif I am betting there is one for you too. thumbs_up.gif

GraceSolomon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GraceSolomon Posted 17 May 2010 , 12:42am
post #689 of 887

I just have to say that all of you on this site are AMAZING!!!! The cakes you have made are stunning and the wealth of information you provide is invaluable. Thank you!!! While searching the site today I just discovered gelatin bows - I use to make mine for present cakes out of fondant and where never thrilled with results. The gelatin bows are so great! I am so excited to try them. I do have 3 questions:

1) has anyone found out if they could be flavored?
2) has anyone found out how to attach them to fondant?
3) if you make them several weeks in advance (assuming this is an option) how can you store them?

Thanks so much!!!!

Loucinda Posted 17 May 2010 , 2:05am
post #690 of 887

Yes, you can flavor them slightly (read through the posts, I can't remember right off how it was done!)

Yes, you can attach them to fondant.

Yes, they last a looong time, keep them dry, and dust free. I keep mine in a styrofoam container like a take out container from a restaurant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%