How To Make Gelatin Bows & Flowers

Decorating By justdi Updated 24 Jan 2017 , 12:26pm by CalaMom

Cookie4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookie4 Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 9:45pm
post #271 of 887

I love that idea but not sure if I'll ever need to make them at my age - ha, ha!

Also, just painted on the mats for another bow and was having trouble with the evenness of the gelatin so I put the whole thing (the mat that is) in the micro for 4 seconds and viola! Perfect flow of the gelatin. You just gotta love playing with this stuff! thumbs_up.gif

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 9:46pm
post #272 of 887

Put a heating pad underneath the impression mat on very low heat -- that helps a lot too.

Parable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Parable Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 2:09am
post #273 of 887
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCE62108

Ok I just had to tell you guys this. I neglected doing so for about a week.

You know, I was playing with the SF jello recipe. I was chewing on a piece and thinking, "you know, this doesnt taste TOO bad once it starts to dissolve, but man its tough! You could almost wear this stuff, its so strong." Then a bizarre thought popped in my head.

Edible Undies.

You wont believe it but I made an edible thong out of this stuff and its hanging in my bedroom. LOL. I just laugh when I see it. Ill probably toss it eventually. This is what happens when I start thinking too much about something. lol.

icon_surprised.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 7:09pm
post #274 of 887

JCE - Never woulda thought of that one!! icon_eek.gificon_biggrin.gif

I haven't had much time to play the past couple of weeks - will be happy when things slow down some here!

the microwave, hmmm.....I just use the heating pad!

Parable Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 9:31pm
post #275 of 887

Soooooooooo here are my attempts at the butterflies. I used grape koolaid and sweet-n-low to flavor the Knox and it worked great. Just remember to use just a "tad" of koolaid otherwise the color is too dark. Ask me how I know. icon_rolleyes.gif

Still need to work on my decorating skills.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1386765&sub=1386767

Cookie4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookie4 Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 2:10pm
post #276 of 887

Parable - your butterflies are beautiful. Did you use the Disco dust? Also are the bodies made of royal icing and how did you attach -did you use the piping gel? Thanks for uploading your pics.

tmr137 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmr137 Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 4:34pm
post #277 of 887

I wanted to say thank you for all of the tips. I made the bows last weekend for my sister's birthday cake. I also used the heating pad method.[/img]

Parable Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 5:14pm
post #278 of 887
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookie4

Parable - your butterflies are beautiful. Did you use the Disco dust? Also are the bodies made of royal icing and how did you attach -did you use the piping gel? Thanks for uploading your pics.

Thanks Cookie! Yes, I did use Disco dust. Funny thing though, it was hot pink dust. I used the purple gelatin to glue the dust on with and it all turned purple. This was OK though because I wanted the butterflies to be all purple. The bodies are RI. The butterfly molds I used had the body already attached so I just piped the RI right on top. I piped antennae on wax paper w/ #2 tip and let dry before I piped the head/body. Then I just inserted them using a pair of tweezers and a steady hand. lol

Charmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmed Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 5:22pm
post #279 of 887
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCE62108

Ok I just had to tell you guys this. I neglected doing so for about a week.

You know, I was playing with the SF jello recipe. I was chewing on a piece and thinking, "you know, this doesnt taste TOO bad once it starts to dissolve, but man its tough! You could almost wear this stuff, its so strong." Then a bizarre thought popped in my head.

Edible Undies.

You wont believe it but I made an edible thong out of this stuff and its hanging in my bedroom. LOL. I just laugh when I see it. Ill probably toss it eventually. This is what happens when I start thinking too much about something. lol.

Could you please share How did you make the undies? do you have any Pictures ? Please icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Loucinda Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 1:49am
post #280 of 887

Bringing this back up for some folks who were looking for it!

I am glad the bows turned out nice for your sisters birthday!! icon_smile.gif

tmr137 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmr137 Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 1:58am
post #281 of 887

Thank you Loucinda.

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 5:54am
post #282 of 887

I am so excited! I was trying to figure out how I could use gelatin or some edible substance to make a plastic "bag" for a Cheetos cake I'm making (50s version with see through plastic in the center)! YES! This will be perfect! I would like it to taste decent as it will be on a cake, though people will probably peel it off anyway!

So, how hard would it be for people to cut through this if it's on top of the cake like fondant would be? (I will have fake edible cheetos under it that you can see) If it's too hard to cut, should I just advise them to take it off? or could I make it a little softer with more water so it would be more cuttable?

bobwonderbuns Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 11:49am
post #283 of 887

So I'm wondering: Of all you gals who bought the sheets and have tried bows and butterflies, how do you like them so far??? icon_biggrin.gif

Loucinda Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 11:53am
post #284 of 887

I take them in to show my classes and it gets everyone all excited about trying it, I love seeing all the beautiful things everyone has made!

Renaejrk Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 1:29pm
post #285 of 887

anybody?

bobwonderbuns Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 2:51pm
post #286 of 887
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renaejrk

I am so excited! I was trying to figure out how I could use gelatin or some edible substance to make a plastic "bag" for a Cheetos cake I'm making (50s version with see through plastic in the center)! YES! This will be perfect! I would like it to taste decent as it will be on a cake, though people will probably peel it off anyway!

So, how hard would it be for people to cut through this if it's on top of the cake like fondant would be? (I will have fake edible cheetos under it that you can see) If it's too hard to cut, should I just advise them to take it off? or could I make it a little softer with more water so it would be more cuttable?

Advise whoever is cutting the cake to take the gelatin decorations off first. They can be cut with scissors but not with a knife. Besides, they don't taste good! icon_confused.gif

Parable Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 2:59pm
post #287 of 887
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renaejrk

I would not think it could be cut. Try painting some on a silpat and test it out. You'll see.

Renaejrk Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 3:01pm
post #288 of 887

thanks! that's what I thought, I just wasn't sure if there was a way to get around peeling it off! lol

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 3:54pm
post #289 of 887

I just got my sheets a couple of day ago so I haven't had time to play with them yet. I hope to try them out this weekend and will report back then.

Renaejrk Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 6:14pm
post #290 of 887

yikes! I tried on wax paper and a plastic cutting board (no silpat) and the gelatin mixture kept trying to recede, or pool in areas and leave other areas with holes! what's going on?

Parable Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 7:11pm
post #291 of 887

Renaejrk, I don't know why that is happening. What is the consistency of the gelatin? Is is really runny? If so wait a few minutes for it to start thickening, and try again. But don't wait too long because it will get too thick and you will have to rewarm it to melt again.

Renaejrk Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 2:41am
post #292 of 887

sorry - cake central would not come up for the last 2 days - it was giving me an error whenever I tried to get on!

the consistency was about what you guys said it should be, though I skimmed the gunk off the top and the gelatin mixture was still liquid enough for me to use w/o heating it back up - I think my house was really warm. I think the problem might have been (I wasn't thinking straight and realized this later) that I tried to add a little flavor and also used artificial sweetener - that may have messed it up. Once I just made it plain it was fine. It is the coolest stuff! I can't wait to try other things with it!

so, I tried another batch on some clear vinyl I had - it worked great, except for it being all wavy because the vinyl is so flexible, but that's ok because it was for a plastic chip bag which isn't flat really anyway! It worked great! I just wish I had something to make it bigger on - I had to improvise and put fondant on the sides of the cake as well because the sheet wasn't as wide as I needed it, but it worked out fine and they loved it!

Loucinda Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 3:33am
post #293 of 887

Where are the pics??? I wanna see it!! icon_biggrin.gif

Renaejrk Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 3:39am
post #294 of 887

I can't attach them here, they're too big, but I just uploaded them to my photos - I don't know if you can get to them yet or not, they say it takes a little while sometimes!

kello Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kello Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 11:48am
post #295 of 887

Sorry if it's been asked already, but how long do the bows and butterflies last? How far in advance can I make them? Do they have to be refrigerated to store them?
Thanks. I can't wait to receive mine in the mail any day now!

Loucinda Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 4:08pm
post #296 of 887

The ones I originally made are still here and doing fine (and I haven't turned on my a/c here in Ohio yet) Keep them dry and let air circulate around them.....I keep my bows in a styrofoam sandwich container, and the butterflies and flowers are in a take out plastic chinese food container.

NO DO NOT refrigerate them! Humid air or water will kill them!!

kello Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 1:08pm
post #297 of 887

I tried the butterflies and let them set over night. They didn't pop off the mat and are brittle. I could peel some of them. Was the gelatin too thin? Silly question, but it had me wondering....what side of the mat to use? The indented?
Also, is there a way to make ice cubes with the gelatin? I'm not sure if they will set all the way through.......I don't want fuzzy ice cubes. icon_smile.gif

giraffe11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
giraffe11 Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 1:26pm
post #298 of 887

I am on my way to work, so I don't have a lot of time to answer......I will answer better later, I promise!!!! I just did a cake with the gelatin flowers and butterflies (first 2 pics in my photos) and I also made sugar cubes (tiles) to cover the whole cake. Take a look at it and see if it is something like what you are thinking. I will answer more about techniques later......

kello Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 2:08pm
post #299 of 887

What's with the multiple postings?
Anyway, I would appreciate any tips giraffe11.....your cakes are wonderful.....love the tiles. It's just that ice cubes are thicker and I haven't worked with sugar yet. I was leaning towards sugar for them, but then the lightbulb went off and I thought, hey, why not try the gelatin.

Djor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Djor Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 2:29pm
post #300 of 887

This is so cool I'm going to try that too. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%