How To Make Gelatin Bows & Flowers

Decorating By justdi Updated 24 Jan 2017 , 12:26pm by CalaMom

yen4cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yen4cakes Posted 17 May 2010 , 10:14am
post #691 of 887

Could you let me know the details of the book to which you are referring - I'm very keen to learn more too. In the meantime here is info on making bubbles out of gelatine:

I learnt this technique at a workshop by Mary-Ann Gonsalves. Her notes can be found in the Australian Sugar Craft Magazine December 2008 Vol 20 No 2. Sorry they keep blocking part of the title here - if you want the reference I will email it to you as this is the 5th time I've tried to put it in the text here for you. My notes incorporate her technique and a few of my interpretations. Gela Boons: Dissolve 1 part gelatine (Davis) to 2 parts hot water in heat proof bowl - deep enough to dip a balloon that is the size of gelaboon you wish to achieve. Gently stir (to avoid creating bubbles) until gelatine is dissolved. Can place bowl in baine marie or use microwave to heat/reheat. Can include colour as desired in water measurement. Use Qualatex helium balloons for the least amount of explosions - if you get a mess let it get tacky then peel off otherwise BIG difficult mess to clean. Have your balloons inflated ahead of time. Use a balloon pump (for hygiene) to achieve desired size and tie a knot. Attach balloon to cup and stick. Have an oasis ready (my hubby made me a plank of wood with holes drilled) to stand the sticks in - with enough space so balloons don't touch. Once covered in gelatine the ballons get heavy. Mary-Ann Gonsalves recommends lightly and evenly spraying the balloons with oil (i.e. canola) and then blotting the surface evenly and gently with a paper towel before dipping into the gelatine. I didn't use oil as I had a lot of trouble achieving a full coverage of the balloon with gelatine. WIthout the oil it takes a little more encouragement to release the balloon. Dip balloon in gelatine (make sure it is comfortable to touch and not hot or "bang"). Use a rolling/ twisting motion to get full coverage. With a larger size balloon you may need to pour the gelatine over. With a sweeping motion remove the balloon and stand upright and allow to dry inserted in oasis. Do not drip the excess gelatine back into the bowl as you will get millions of little bubbles. You can actually achieve deeper colour and stronger gelaboons by dipping two or three times - this should be done after allowing the gelatine to "dry" until tacky - then redip using same method. Depending on the weather and number of layers the gelaboon will dry hard overnight or over several days. To remove balloon, remove gelaboon from stick and gently remove cup. Pop the balloon with a pin or scissors and remove. Trim gelaboon with scissors to tidy the hole - this can be disguised with the use of royal icing or fondant.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/yen4cakes/4589289850/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/yen4cakes/4608892146/in/photostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/yen4cakes/3840497497/in/set-72157622091839242/

trixie05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trixie05 Posted 23 May 2010 , 12:17pm
post #692 of 887

Oh, Must have Book; Must have Butterfly sheets; Must have Everything! Wow, can't wait until I get these. Thanks!

sbuckel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sbuckel Posted 23 May 2010 , 2:20pm
post #693 of 887
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loucinda

GOT MY NEW BOOK TODAY!!!! (autographed and numbered!) icon_biggrin.gif I can't wait to get started on the new stuff in there....
carnation
calla lily
geranium
gladiolous
orchid
poinsettia
rose
tulip & crocus
foilage
and several versions of bows! icon_biggrin.gif

Another hit, without a doubt!! Thank you Di and Michaelle - I just love this technique. You all need to order yours now too. icon_smile.gif

Which book is this? I looked on her site and there are two, is this a 3rd book?

trixie05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trixie05 Posted 23 May 2010 , 4:35pm
post #694 of 887

OK, where do I go to order this book? Would like a copy asap. Thanks.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 23 May 2010 , 8:40pm
post #695 of 887

Go to www.CakeConnection.com and Di will set you up.

Brandee8011 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brandee8011 Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 2:28am
post #696 of 887

I have been trying to figure out how to use this technique without the use of wires. Thank you so much for sharing... I would love to use these ideas for a wedding cake. By the way do you know how these will hold up if placed directly on buttercream?

Brandee Beavers

bobwonderbuns Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 11:45am
post #697 of 887
Quote:

GOT MY NEW BOOK TODAY!!!! (autographed and numbered!) icon_biggrin.gif I can't wait to get started on the new stuff in there....
carnation
calla lily
geranium
gladiolous
orchid
poinsettia
rose
tulip & crocus
foilage
and several versions of bows! icon_biggrin.gif

Another hit, without a doubt!! Thank you Di and Michaelle - I just love this technique. You all need to order yours now too. icon_smile.gif

I'm still waiting... icon_cool.gif

Brandee8011 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brandee8011 Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 3:25am
post #698 of 887

Just wondering would melted chocolate work in attaching the bow to fondant?

Brandee Beavers

Julisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Julisa Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 9:10am
post #699 of 887

I attached my bow/bows/ribbon to fondant with a blob of BC. It held pretty good. Then I was able to wipe off the BC to keep the bowl. I gave it to my aunt so she could see how neat it was. I was going to insert a picture, but don't know how.

Julisa Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 9:51am
post #700 of 887
Quote:

Julisa - we would love to see what your's looks like! That is cool that you found something that will work too....always looking for new ways to use different things for new effects! icon_smile.gif

Ok got the pics out of my camera and have finally figured out how to insert them into a forum post icon_lol.gif .

Had a little trouble making the bow. I think it was too thick. But the streamer came out good. I sprinkled edible glitter on it before it dried. Can't really see it because I air brushed the whole cake with pearl dust. Was surprized that the Everclear didn't dissolve the gelitan. Hubby helped with the flowers, he did a pretty good job.
LL
LL
LL

fluffball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fluffball Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 11:42am
post #701 of 887

icon_cry.gif I keep trying and trying but I can't get a smooth texture. I ended up pouring the gelatin onto a plastic lid and stood in front of my heater moving the lid up and down back and forth spreading the gelatin. IF it turns out then I should have a nice piece that doesnt have 'paintbrush lines' in it.
I need a large piece to make my dragon wings.
Will let you know how it turns out. I might keep practicing the brushing technique though...

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 8:38pm
post #702 of 887

Julisa - GORGEOUS!!! Thanks for sharing it! I never tried to air brush one, that is good info too that it didn't melt the bow.

carebearlove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carebearlove Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 4:05am
post #703 of 887

What was used to form the body of the butterflies? i just love them, im trying to get the sheets to do them.

Loucinda Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 4:09am
post #704 of 887

You can either use the mold that they sell for them at www.cakeconnection.com or you can make them out of icing, either way will work.

GraceSolomon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GraceSolomon Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 3:13am
post #705 of 887

Julisa - your cake is beautiful!!!! I love the gel ribbon and gel streamer and gel bow. Did you use the "tin roofing" from the hobby store to make this ribbon/streamer and bow? What a great idea! It came out so great!

GraceSolomon Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 3:20am
post #706 of 887

I was finally able to try this technique and I love love love it!!!! It is so fun. Thank you everyone for all of your posts because if it wasn't for all of your posts I would have never been able to even attempt to try this. Here are some photos of the cake I made with the ribbons, bows, flowers and butterflies. I used the knox gelatin mixed with sugar free strawberry banana jello.
LL

Loucinda Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 12:54pm
post #707 of 887

Those are BEAUTIFUL!! Thank you for sharing...and glad that all of our posting helped make the technique work for you! icon_smile.gif

Julisa Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 3:45pm
post #708 of 887
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceSolomon

Julisa - your cake is beautiful!!!! I love the gel ribbon and gel streamer and gel bow. Did you use the "tin roofing" from the hobby store to make this ribbon/streamer and bow? What a great idea! It came out so great!

Tank you. And yes. I was pleased that it worked so well. The pattern made it real easy to cut the strips straight with a pair of shears.

BEVERLEY Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BEVERLEY Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 11:37pm
post #709 of 887

Do you add the colors to the mix or could you paint it on later?

Julisa Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 1:04am
post #710 of 887

I added the pink to the mix then airbrushed with super pearl dust.

GraceSolomon Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 1:10am
post #711 of 887

I made the gelatin out of strawberry banana sugar free jello and knox jello which gave the ribbon a pink color and then I used piping gel to lightly coat the edges and used the disco dust in magnolia. I pretty much just followed the instructions for ribbons and bows that is in the book that cakeconnection sells.

kdbohm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kdbohm Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 4:57pm
post #712 of 887

So I just got all of my impression sheets and tried this over the weekend. I'm guessing I spread it on too thin and will have to play around some more. Just wanted to double check if there were any suggestions or just how thick it really needs to be spread on.

Loucinda Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 5:08pm
post #713 of 887

I took me 3 tries before I "got it" on how thick it needed to be. You know your first one was too thin, so thicker next time - but don't go too thick (which is what I did the 2nd try!)

LH22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LH22 Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 1:55am
post #714 of 887

Wow- I just found out about this technique and can't WAIT to give it a try!! Hmmm... I think I have some Know in my pantry icon_razz.gif

kdbohm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kdbohm Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 5:44pm
post #715 of 887

So I have tried again and I think I got it thick enough. My other question with the butterflies - do you put the different colors on the designs or just do clear and paint the colors on after?

bobwonderbuns Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 11:36am
post #716 of 887
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbohm

So I have tried again and I think I got it thick enough. My other question with the butterflies - do you put the different colors on the designs or just do clear and paint the colors on after?

I tint the color lightly (ONE drop of airbrush color) and then use edible markers, Disco Dust and powdered color to adorn the butterflies.

letsgokelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
letsgokelly Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 2:11pm
post #717 of 887

Wow this really looks beautiful!
I would love to buy those sheets but is it possible to ship to Belgium?

Loucinda Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 7:48pm
post #718 of 887

Get ahold of Diane or Michaele at cakeconnection.com and ask - I am sure they will do what they can for you.

Meme2London Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Meme2London Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 9:42pm
post #719 of 887

Hey all, I was wandering around in Michael's the other day and saw that Duff (Ace of Cakes) has some really neat texture sheets out. He has bricks & wood grain and stones and a few others that I've forgotten but it gave me some good ideas for the geletin sheets. now I just gotta figure out how to make a brick red color hmmm

bobwonderbuns Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 9:52pm
post #720 of 887
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme2London

Hey all, I was wandering around in Michael's the other day and saw that Duff (Ace of Cakes) has some really neat texture sheets out. He has bricks & wood grain and stones and a few others that I've forgotten but it gave me some good ideas for the geletin sheets. now I just gotta figure out how to make a brick red color hmmm

Just add one drop red and one drop brown. You might want to double the gelatin mixture because it will be quite dark.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%