How To Make Gelatin Bows & Flowers

Decorating By justdi Updated 24 Jan 2017 , 12:26pm by CalaMom

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 8 May 2009 , 4:01pm
post #61 of 887

Here is my first gelatin flower. (I used the same gelatin as I did for the pink bow) I need some work on how to assemble the flower, and I have not made the leaves yet!

The sparkle on them is Pixie Dust (boy does that make them sparkle too!) I believe that is what Diane uses on hers, I bought about every color she sold at DOS!

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1363735&done=1

As far as the humidity issue, I think they are fine. I know Diane said she has been toting those displays around for a couple of weeks and they held up just fine. (although it is not summer time yet, so I think I will ask her about that!)

I also think the wire should have been clear to almost the top of the petal - it doesn't look quite right the way I did it.

I bet the Knox gelatin company will wonder what the heck is up with all the gelatin sales.

clarmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
clarmar Posted 8 May 2009 , 4:27pm
post #62 of 887
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maria_Campos

I'm thinking about using them as windows for a ginger bread house or windshield for convertible maybe even stain glass the possibilties are endless

Oh! Stained glass... that sounds so cool.
Thank you Loucinda and Di. I have learned more through CC than any other class or forum or teacher. You Gals ROCK!!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 8 May 2009 , 4:36pm
post #63 of 887
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuddysmom

Thank you so much!! What an exciting technique - amazing results. Okay, so is there a 24 hr help line for CC addicts (CCA?), cuz let's face it, we all know what we all will be playing with this weekend. Late into the night we'll all be listening for that new "gelatin releasing from the impression sheet" sounds..... SO cool! Thanks again for sharing. BTW, lusterdust on flowers?

Nope, Disco Dust. Lustre dust smudges and makes life miserable. Apply Disco Dust which has a bigger granule and it works wonders in this application! icon_biggrin.gif

bobwonderbuns Posted 8 May 2009 , 4:38pm
post #64 of 887
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrscromer

I would like to know how well these BEAUTIFUL gelatin things hold up in humidty? Does anyone know? Thanks for the Info.

I'm in the North where it can get humid but I haven't had any problems. However, I'm working with a gal in Aruba on these techniques and she says she's had butterflies melt going from one room to another. So I guess it just depends. icon_rolleyes.gif

mrscromer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrscromer Posted 8 May 2009 , 4:46pm
post #65 of 887

Thanks for the infos.....it's just that when I first started out with the gum paste and my cake was on display with a swap cooler in the room and then it rain, all my flowers melted, I should say wilted away. But since I have used Nicholas Lodge's recipe for gum paste, my problems went away.....thanks nick.

Well, if anyone else knows, please share

Thank you very much. This is a wondeful place to share infos and ideas. What a bunch a WONDERFUL person....

bobwonderbuns Posted 8 May 2009 , 4:48pm
post #66 of 887

You know what else is cool about the veining sheets themselves -- you can use them with chocolate! How cool would that be, chocolate flowers and chocolate butterflies? Cool! icon_biggrin.gif

Sassy74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassy74 Posted 8 May 2009 , 4:51pm
post #67 of 887

Is it possible to do the bows without a texture sheet? Maybe on a silpat or something? Is this a special texture sheet, or an impression mat? Lots of questions...I want to give this a try RIGHT NOW!! Thanks so much everyone for sharing!

bobwonderbuns Posted 8 May 2009 , 4:53pm
post #68 of 887

The kit that me, Loucinda and JustDi and Michaelle are using has five impression mats in them, with leaves, petals and butterflies on them. That's what we use for butterflies and flowers. Loucinda made her bow using a regular impression mat and cutting the dried gelatin into strips to make her bow loops. I'm sure you could use a Silpat -- it has a smooth side and a textured side. Try it and tell us what you think! icon_biggrin.gif

Sassy74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassy74 Posted 8 May 2009 , 5:05pm
post #69 of 887

Thanks, bobwonderbuns! I think I'll give this a try this weekend. Oh, how I love CC! I've learned so much from y'all!

Loucinda Posted 8 May 2009 , 5:12pm
post #70 of 887

Diane now sells a set of impression mats for the bows, in addition to the set we all have as BWB described. There are 6 different "textures" to them - you can see the different ones in the pics Bobwonderbuns posted....I only have the one bow impression mat (but I have already ordered the rest of them!)

I can't wait to see the one you try on the silpat!!! Oh what fun we have!!! thumbs_up.gif

edited to add: I am spelling impression m a t s correctly, it just keeps doing it's own thing when I post it! icon_confused.gif

TammyH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TammyH Posted 9 May 2009 , 12:41am
post #71 of 887

Just an FYI: I used up the rest of a batch of gelatin on my brick-impression mat that I use for fondant, and it worked great! The only thing is the grooves are deeper, so you have to put the gelatin on thick. but it did pop right off...

Now I have a sheet of purple-clear brick... Not very useful, but I got my answer!

TammyH

sharonk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sharonk Posted 9 May 2009 , 1:28am
post #72 of 887

Are the bodies of the butterflies made of royal icing?

Loucinda Posted 9 May 2009 , 3:34am
post #73 of 887

They sell a silicone mold that has a small butterfly, a bigger butterfly, a bumble bee and a lady bug. (I used just a small part of one of the butterfly wing sets to make wings for the bumble bee - it is adorable!)

Tammy - good to know it will work with the other mats!

bobwonderbuns Posted 9 May 2009 , 10:49am
post #74 of 887
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharonk

Are the bodies of the butterflies made of royal icing?

If you look in my pix, the butterfly cake -- I made the bodies out of Royal. I have the mold though but I've always had trouble getting it to stick to the wings.

solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 9 May 2009 , 1:06pm
post #75 of 887

Thank you so much for this

YALANTZI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YALANTZI Posted 9 May 2009 , 2:41pm
post #76 of 887

I purchased the Butterflies kit like 2 weeks ago, and I loved the technique, my question is how do you make the bows bend after they are cut into strips??? do you put the strips in the microwave for a few minutes??

Thanks,

Rocio

bcake1960 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bcake1960 Posted 9 May 2009 , 2:58pm
post #77 of 887

ok, I am just dying to try this .. but I don't have an impression mat..icon_sad.gif but have been thinking for 2 days now what I can use... How about using the florest foil with the floral impressions on it?? What do you think would that work.. ? If not.. anyone eles have ideas for us out there that dont have the impression matts yet... I just cant wait to try this... icon_smile.gif))

bcake1960 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bcake1960 Posted 9 May 2009 , 3:00pm
post #78 of 887

Bob... did you make those cakes??? Beautiful... love the ribbon and bow at the base of the cake.. the possibilities are endless...

Kiki74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiki74 Posted 9 May 2009 , 3:06pm
post #79 of 887

Thank you for sharing this technique. I'm a newbie to alot of this and can't wait to to try it. icon_biggrin.gif

bobwonderbuns Posted 9 May 2009 , 4:18pm
post #80 of 887
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcake1960

Bob... did you make those cakes??? Beautiful... love the ribbon and bow at the base of the cake.. the possibilities are endless...

The cakes I posted in this thread??? NOOOOO, those aren't mine. Those are done by Dianne Simmons and Michaelle Stidham, who invented/developed this technique. The one I did with the teal butterflies you can see in my pix. You're right though, those cakes are awesome!! icon_biggrin.gif

bobwonderbuns Posted 9 May 2009 , 4:20pm
post #81 of 887
Quote:
Originally Posted by YALANTZI

I purchased the Butterflies kit like 2 weeks ago, and I loved the technique, my question is how do you make the bows bend after they are cut into strips??? do you put the strips in the microwave for a few minutes??

Thanks,

Rocio

Just cut the strips with scissors and bend them (the gelatin is pliable) and tack down with more gelatin mixture. You need to hold it for a moment for it to set. Loucinda can give you more specific instructions though.

Loucinda Posted 9 May 2009 , 5:51pm
post #82 of 887

BWB is right - just use some melted gelatin. I clip the ends together with a paper clip to hold till it dries.....which is only about 10 or 15 minutes. Make sure you put about a tablespoon size round of gelatin on your work space (I use a plastic plate) to arrange the first layer of the bow loops on.

741mly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
741mly Posted 9 May 2009 , 7:19pm
post #83 of 887

Why I can't see the photos?

jimandmollie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jimandmollie Posted 9 May 2009 , 10:21pm
post #84 of 887

I couldn't wait to try this and we don't have a Michaels here. I did go to the local craft store and they had some candy molds and I bought those to try. They were ok but the butterflies were flat instead of 3-D. Here is what I came up with because I couldn't wait for the molds to get back in stock:

I had a disposable roasting pan lid left over from lasagna I made for the school teachers. Eureka!!!!! That's plastic. That's obviously food safe because they sell it for food. Hmmmmmm I wonder.....

So I cut the flat portion of the plastic into strips about 3 or 4 inches wide and about 12 inches long.

I then took one strip of the plastic and creased it lengthwise on the corner of the counter to give it a "V" shape lengthwise. I then painted the gelatin on the inside of the "V" and waited about 5 or 6 hours until it dried. I popped it right off and cut out some butterfly shapes with my kitchen scissors. I painted them with gel colors mixed with water (next time I will mix into the gel before drying because they tend to melt a bit when you put water on them) and dusted on some of that purple Wilton sparkle dust stuff. I used some fondant to make little bodies for them and voila! Butterflies!

These aren't nearly as pretty as the ones I could probably get with the molds so I intend to order them ASAP. I know there are a lot of people like me that can't wait to try this though so maybe you could all play with this.

I do want to say that I was surprised with how hard the gelatin dries. It could easily stand up on its own and hold its shape. I am anxious to try painting some on the side of a 2-liter soda bottle and trying to make a rainbow to stand up on a cake like an arch. I am also thinking of trying a few flat ones to write on (Happy Birthday, etc) and use as a stand up topper for cakes I don't want to write directly on. It seems to me that there are a thousand ways you could use this technique and I thank you guys for introducing me to it! Happy baking! icon_biggrin.gif

Loucinda Posted 9 May 2009 , 10:42pm
post #85 of 887

OOOOOhhhhh-- I am setting here with a big ol' smile......what creative ideas you have come up with!!!! Thanks for sharing them - and glad you are having fun with the technique! icon_biggrin.gif

Rainbows......standing up letters......got to play somemore!!

bobwonderbuns Posted 9 May 2009 , 11:24pm
post #86 of 887
Quote:
Originally Posted by 741mly

Why I can't see the photos?

You may have to click on the links in the thread. CC is undergoing some changes now so pix aren't showing up like they used to.

Bakingangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bakingangel Posted 10 May 2009 , 12:54am
post #87 of 887

What do you use to spread the gel on with? Brush or sponge brush...?

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 10 May 2009 , 1:03am
post #88 of 887

Thank you so much for sharing.

jimandmollie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jimandmollie Posted 10 May 2009 , 1:22am
post #89 of 887

I just used a regular paintbrush and a packet of Knox gelatin. It was fun! icon_biggrin.gif

bobwonderbuns Posted 10 May 2009 , 5:31pm
post #90 of 887

You know another cool thing to do is to make the bows and as you are cutting the strips, use the fancy scissors found in the scrapbooking section -- that gives a great funky edge to the bow loops. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%