Decorating By justdi Updated 24 Jan 2017 , 12:26pm by CalaMom

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 3:19am
post #541 of 887

CeeisforCake that's a gorgeous flower!!! Nice job! icon_biggrin.gif

greengyrl26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
greengyrl26 Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 7:03pm
post #542 of 887

O. MY. GAWD!!! I just stumbled upon this thread and am in awe!!! This is FANTASTIC and I can't wait to order the sheets!!!

CeeisforCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CeeisforCake Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 3:18pm
post #543 of 887

Thanks to both the Cindy's icon_wink.gif I was inspired to try it by all the wonderful chats going on in this thread, I will definitely be getting the sheets someday soon, I can't wait for the chance to try more fancy things with the gelatin!!

SweetRenaud Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetRenaud Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 10:55pm
post #544 of 887

I'm having some trouble with the gelatin business..

What is the finished product suppose to feel like? Is it suppose to feel like paper or is it suppose to have some moisture?

I made some and I thought it turned out nice but then when I added it to the cake my fondant started melting (Was too bendable for a bow). This one was still sticky like.

All these bows and flowers look sooo very beautiful thanks for sharing!

bobwonderbuns Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 11:44pm
post #545 of 887

The gelatin should be dry -- thin and dry. You should be able to lightly bend it but bend it too much and it will snap. I've never heard of it melting fondant though... icon_confused.gif

SweetRenaud Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 12:05am
post #546 of 887

The gelatin results that I got must have to thick because it held it's moisture. Will it dry out complelty if left long enough?

Maybe I am doing it completely wrong but the grocery stores are making a small profit from me becuase I won't give up!

bobwonderbuns Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 12:18am
post #547 of 887

What kind of gelatin are you using? I use something like the Great Lakes or the Knox gelatin -- that works best. You paint the gelatin onto the sheets in a thin but even layer and it will peel up (you'll hear a popping sound) as it dries. I leave them overnight. If they stick to the sheet it's not done yet.

SweetRenaud Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 12:22am
post #548 of 887

I'm using knox, because that's all I can find in this little town..(Keswick Ontario).
I will attempt it again this evening and hopefully come up with something a little better..

Should I be putting it on a plastic mat? I've tried a plastic impression mat, parchment paper and even a cake board...grr....I'm probably making i more complicated that it is...lol

CeeisforCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CeeisforCake Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 1:14am
post #549 of 887

Sweet Renaud, I am just a little south of you, I don't know if there is one in Keswick but check any bulk barn, its way cheaper there.

I use the recipe from this thread, 1 tbsp gelatin to 2 and half tbsp of water mixed with vanilla and liquid food colouring. (I mix the food colouring and flavor into the water before i add it to the gelatin so I still use the same amount of liquid to powder ratio.)
I have never tried knox and I'm not sure what kind it is I got because I just bought what ever they had in the bulk store. Best of luck!!

bobwonderbuns Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 2:44pm
post #550 of 887
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetRenaud

I'm using knox, because that's all I can find in this little town..(Keswick Ontario).
I will attempt it again this evening and hopefully come up with something a little better..

Should I be putting it on a plastic mat? I've tried a plastic , parchment paper and even a cake board...grr....I'm probably making i more complicated that it is...lol

Di sells the plastic impression mats (in my pix see the teal butterfly cake? That's done with the butterfly mat she sells.) You can use other plastic impression mats for bows and such. Cake boards will definitely cause you a problem -- they will soak up the gelatin mixture and it won't pop away from it. I haven't tried the Silpats, but others have with various degrees of success.

dolly501 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolly501 Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 3:21pm
post #551 of 887

where do you get the veiners?

bobwonderbuns Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 3:49pm
post #552 of 887

There's no veiners used in this application. It's gelatin which is brushed onto a mat, not gumpaste which is pressed into a veiner.

CakeBakerSoulShaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeBakerSoulShaker Posted 3 Jan 2010 , 8:43am
post #553 of 887

Are they pliable once dry? Or is there a time frame in which you have to shape them? This technique is gorgeous!

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 3 Jan 2010 , 6:40pm
post #554 of 887

They are very pliable! (I haven't been getting update notice on this thread) icon_sad.gif

bobwonderbuns Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 2:31pm
post #555 of 887

If you brush the gelatin on too thick they will be more brittle but yes, they are pliable. You trim the edges to define the shape so there's no molding or forming involved. icon_biggrin.gif

1212 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1212 Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 10:26pm
post #556 of 887

hello everyone , this looks very nice i would like to trie make some flowers, but i dont know what kind of gelatin you use in mu country we only have powder gelatin if someone could help me about recipe please icon_redface.gif
sorry if my english is bad!

bobwonderbuns Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 10:33pm
post #557 of 887

Welcome 1212!! What country are you in? Here in the United States we use plain, unflavored gelatin like Knox or Great Lakes. Do you have that where you are?

1212 Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 5:00am
post #558 of 887

I'am from Serbia, we have unflavored it's DR Oetker but it's not liquid i have to mix it with water,
and the part i don't understand is 2 2/1 part of water and 1 part gelatin what do you mean by part.
should i mix gelatin with water as said on bag and make that 1part and add 2 2/1 more water? Thank you for your answer icon_biggrin.gif

bobwonderbuns Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 2:55pm
post #559 of 887

Okay I have not used Dr. Oetker but if it's plain, unflavored gelatin it will work. The 2 1/2 to 1 ratio is mixing 1 TBSP gelatin (plain granules, out of the package) with 2 1/2 TBSP water. Stir and let set. You don't want to make the gelatin like it says on the package because you are going to be painting with it, not making Jello like you eat. Does that make sense? icon_biggrin.gif

1212 Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 8:07pm
post #560 of 887

thumbs_up.gif Now I get it.Thank you ever so much. When my work is done I'll post you some pictures.

Anira72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Anira72 Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 3:29am
post #561 of 887

Hi, I've been reading this thread off an on and decided to just jump in. I tried my first run today and decided to put it in the fridge to see if it will set faster. I painted the gelatine onto some wax paper and some on a glass cutting board as I do not have any sheets to work with. What I'm looking to make are simply windows for a helicopter I'm making. Anyway, the gelatine set rather quickly and peeled off very easily. I had to pull at the edges to lift it but all in all it came off rather nice. I'm not positive what its supposed to look or feel like but the texture was perfect for my windows. Just thought I'd let y'all know it only took about 10 minutes to set. Don't know if this will work for everyone but it did for me. Thanks again for this thread. Can't wait to experiment with gelatine more.

Mems-edible-creations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mems-edible-creations Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 6:37am
post #562 of 887

how do you make the butterflies? i couldnt find that on here...

bobwonderbuns Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 2:19pm
post #563 of 887
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mems-edible-creations

how do you make the butterflies? i couldnt find that on here...

You paint the gelatin onto the butterfly mat, let dry and trim the edges. Then decorate the edging with disco dust and such.

ladymccrum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladymccrum Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 10:03pm
post #564 of 887

i am so glad i found this site....i am learning so much

jacky_ct Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jacky_ct Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 5:28am
post #565 of 887

love ur butterflies can u tell me what is ur website

jacky_ct Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jacky_ct Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 5:29am
post #566 of 887

love ur butterflies can u tell me what is ur website

bobwonderbuns Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 3:39pm
post #567 of 887

Dianne Simmons sells them -- she's one of two ladies who developed this technique. Here's her website, which has the book and the veining sheets: http://abc.eznettools.net/cakeconnection/index.html

Karen1534 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen1534 Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 2:17am
post #568 of 887

Hi everyone,
ALL OF YOU ARE FANTASIC! I've never taken any formal classes in decorating. Learned all on my own from books and now here. The things I find on here are unbelievable. I have sooooo much to learn. And, like so many of you here. So many toys. Got to have all the new toys. If I get much more there will not be any room left for my husband. Im gonna miss him. LOL

ladymccrum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladymccrum Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 7:33pm
post #569 of 887

hi karen...i love this site too...these people do amazing things...i started with wilton classes...then got a job decorating in a grocery store...but they do not allow so many things...just kits and balloons and flowers....wheres the fun in that? im so excited to find this site.....love my cake stuff too...unbelievable how the right tools can make the job easier...
p.s. husbands may have to move to garage...lol

MYCHEFTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MYCHEFTX Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 3:05pm
post #570 of 887

That is awsome!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%