midge Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 11:37am

Thank you so very much - I can't wait to try this and I'm on my way to your site as I type. What beautiful work. Will be ordering sooner rather than later.

Thanks again
Midge

butterfly831915 Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 6:47pm

I am going go try this, can't wait...

}i{

onlymadaresane Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 4:31am

I'm planning on this tomorrow! Thanks for all the awesome pictures and tips!

Loucinda Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 1:59am

I sent a pm to Jackie to see if they can make this a sticky, haven't heard back from her yet.

I made a simple 3 tiered cake with a gelatin bow on the top - it took first place in our county fair! (and everyone was really impressed with the bow!!) I am pretty sure it was the bow that got the judges' attention. (thanks Di and Michaelle!!) I posted about it last week, but didn't make a post on this gelatin section, so if you want to see it - here is the link:

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1468344

tatorchip Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 2:41am
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loucinda

I sent a pm to Jackie to see if they can make this a sticky, haven't heard back from her yet.

I made a simple 3 tiered cake with a gelatin bow on the top - it took first place in our county fair! (and everyone was really impressed with the bow!!) I am pretty sure it was the bow that got the judges' attention. (thanks Di and Michaelle!!) I posted about it last week, but didn't make a post on this gelatin section, so if you want to see it - here is the link:

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1468344

Loucinda, your bows are fantastic, I bought everything to try these but haven't had time to try yet but that is on my to do list at the top lol
Deborah

cakesmade4u Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 3:49am

Thanks for sharing I can't wait till I can get the veining sheets I love this..

Loucinda Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 12:13pm

Still haven't heard - Jackie pm'd me and asked me which post it was, but I haven't heard anything more since then - if anyone else would like this as a sticky besides me, please let Jackie/Heath know!

I am bringing it back to the top since I have had a few folks ask about it again.

jlynnw Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 1:14pm

does the gelatine hold up in heat and humidity? I want to try but here lately the humidity is horribly high. I don't want to wait and wait for a gooey mess like with pulled sugar.

I second the thought for a sticky! icon_biggrin.gif

Loucinda Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 1:34pm

It may take a little longer for the gelatin to dry on the sheets in high humidity, but once it is dry - it holds up just fine. I have several bows and things made up that I did in the spring, and they are still perfect. (I store them in the take-out hamburger type styrofoam containers)

I also have a cake (in my pics) with a gelatin bow on top that went to the county fair here, was there for 9 days in the humidity and heat and it is still fine.

Do NOT let them get wet however - (like in the rain) I had a bouquet of gelatin flowers setting by a window in my kitchen, it rained just a little through the screen, and they immediately disintegrated. icon_sad.gif

Tatorchip -thank you for the nice comments!

gloriadiaz Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 2:49pm

Could any of you beautiful and talented people put once again the link for the how to "build" the bow step by step posted somewhere in this site? I can swear I saw it and last nite, after reading all 29 pages (whew!) I didn't have the strenght to look for it.I would really appreciate it! I have to be very creative and resourceful since I live overseas and in these neck of the woods you cannot find the great supplies you are able to get. Most places do not ship to this end of the world and if they do, it would be such a prohibited amount that considering it wouldn't be worth it, there for I have to work twice as hard. Thank you all for sharing, your kindness is beyond limits. thumbs_up.gif

nonnyscakes Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 2:58pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by gloriadiaz

Could any of you beautiful and talented people put once again the link for the how to "build" the bow step by step posted somewhere in this site? I can swear I saw it and last nite, after reading all 29 pages (whew!) I didn't have the strenght to look for it.I would really appreciate it! I have to be very creative and resourceful since I live overseas and in these neck of the woods you cannot find the great supplies you are able to get. Most places do not ship to this end of the world and if they do, it would be such a prohibited amount that considering it wouldn't be worth it, there for I have to work twice as hard. Thank you all for sharing, your kindness is beyond limits. thumbs_up.gif

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-630413.html

crazydoglady Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 3:10pm

gloria, you would make the strips as shown on page one of this thread and when the strips are set you would make loops attaching ends with liquid gelatin.
you would stack the loops the same way you would for a gumpaste or fondant bow.

i like this tutorial for bow making:

http://www.cakeboss.com/FondantBowTutorial.aspx

gloriadiaz Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 6:42pm

Thank you very much.Actually was the bow "building" where she puts a blob of gelatin in one pic and the next the loops and so on.

crazydoglady Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 6:53pm

in the tutorial they are using something like royal icing to stick the bow together. with gelatin you would put a dollop of liquid gelatin in the middle and build on that.

it takes a while to get the hang of using gelatin but it's really fun to play with! i hope you enjoy it as much as i do.

Marksgirl Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 7:07pm

very cool!!

gloriadiaz Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 7:21pm

Thanks again, I will give it a try.It looks like a lot of fun and beauty.I already have some ideas and new stuff to try it on that I hope to be able to contribute in the future.

cakeandpartygirl Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 2:30am

I am definitely saving this thread everyone's work is fabulous!!!!

Loucinda Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 2:46pm

If anyone who would like to see this as a sticky would please pm Jackie - I would appreciate it. I get requests all the time for where this post is. I don't mind looking for it and giving it, but it sure would be nice if it were made into a sticky! I don't think there are many posts that have as many hits as this one does!

I am so glad that everyone likes this technique - I know I love it!!

gloriadiaz Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 6:05pm

Loucinda, you are absolutely right, this post has gotten so many hits for its contents that ought to be in a sticky.By the way I must mention that your work and generosity are outstanding.I love reading your posts.I personally thank you for all your help. thumbs_up.gif

Loucinda Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 6:37pm

gloriadiaz - that was very kind of you! Thank you for your nice comments, they are very much appreciated. I truely love cake decorating and I enjoy sharing it with others. icon_smile.gif (I just still have a LOT to learn!)

And again, if you would like to have this made as a sticky, please pm Jackie!

nonnyscakes Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 7:02pm

Hooray!!!

Jackie just made this into a printable/savable article.... Check it out!!!

http://cakecentral.com/articles/694/how-to-make-gelatin-flowers-and-bows

crazydoglady Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 7:46pm

i would still prefer a sticky as the thread has evolved so much and includes alot of great ideas.

nonnyscakes Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 7:51pm

crazydoglady, there is a comments box at the bottom of the article. You could post the link to the thread there so it will be easily found by others.

Loucinda Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 7:51pm

icon_sad.gif Mixed emotions on that - not enough info there, it really needed to be a sticky.

Please Jackie??

Loucinda Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 7:59pm

I posted a link to the actual post here, I think that will help some. I should not sound ungrateful.......it is just there are so many ideas and hints in the rest of the posts - just having the first of it as an article leaves a LOT of the good stuff off of it. I can at least find it easier now! icon_smile.gif

crazydoglady Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 11:08pm

i have the gelatin bow thread in "my favorites" the generic one on my computer that stores favorite sites.
i'm with cindy on this. when the thread started, the op gave directions for making the gelatin but over time as people experimented with it, a lot of ideas devloped.
loucinda was instrumental in the process so checking her posts on the subject would be very helpful. also bobwonderbuns made big contributions so it would be good to read her posts on the subject too.
thanks again to the two cindys!

Loucinda Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 12:22am

BobWonderBuns has helped me along here too - (and I think it is great we are both Cindy's!) icon_biggrin.gif

I just think it has been a remarkable thread that has had so much of what CC and cake making is about - sharing what we have learned. So I thank all of YOU who have added to this thread too! thumbs_up.gif

I think we have the bases covered so folks can find it at least.

And again, if anyone needs help with this - just ask!!

sugarMomma Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 1:31pm

I apologize if this has been answered in the thread and you can just tell me to read the whole thing if you want, but how do you get the detail on the flowers and butterflies? Is the gelatin stable enough to paint on? And did you just "paint" wings or did you paint a mold for the butterflies?

crazydoglady Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 2:18pm

i used edible ink pens and it worked well.
edible glitter is pretty too. you can mix it in the gelatin for a shimmery look or paint the edges with piping gel and dip them in the glitter.
i know that others have painted on them using food color mixed with vodka but haven't tried that yet.
when the gelatin is dry, it's like plastic - very durable and flexible. water will destroy it on contact though.
hth

bobwonderbuns Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 2:25pm

Did you see JustDi did a tutorial on this technique on the front page?? It's very cool! icon_biggrin.gif
Here's the link: http://cakecentral.com/articles/694/how-to-make-gelatin-flowers-and-bows

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%