How To Make Gelatin Bows & Flowers

Decorating By justdi Updated 24 Jan 2017 , 12:26pm by CalaMom

Maria_Campos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maria_Campos Posted 7 May 2009 , 5:57pm
post #31 of 887
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loucinda

Nothing on the sheets - when the gelatin is dry - it literally pops off by itself! (when I made the butterflies, I had the sheet of them setting on the counter here beside me, and I could actually HEAR them releasing from the sheet!)

What happens when it's too thick?

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 7 May 2009 , 6:00pm
post #32 of 887

Thank you so much for taking the time to show us how to do this...such a great technique..cool!

mayamia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mayamia Posted 7 May 2009 , 6:05pm
post #33 of 887

thank you so much for the instructions people like you just make this world better, because some people just dont like sharing, but you are awesome thumbs_up.gif

strawberrygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
strawberrygirl Posted 7 May 2009 , 6:06pm
post #34 of 887

This is so cool thumbs_up.gif ....How well do they hold up in heat? How long do they last? and How do you store them?

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 7 May 2009 , 6:12pm
post #35 of 887

Are these subject to humidity, or once set, do they remain dry?

How long after drying to they remain flexible (for example, for bending into bow loops)?

Thank you for all of the information on this beautiful technique!

mommakeef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommakeef Posted 7 May 2009 , 6:41pm
post #36 of 887

Those butterflies are AMAZING! I've so got to try this!!! Thanks for the info!

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 7 May 2009 , 8:11pm
post #37 of 887

You cn DEFINATELY tell if it is too thick, it will not be pliable at all, it will dry a big ol' sheet of hard plastic!! (ask me how I know this......)

Martina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Martina Posted 7 May 2009 , 10:12pm
post #38 of 887

Thank you so much for sharing!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 7 May 2009 , 10:27pm
post #39 of 887

Yes, this is a great technique. I'm playing with the flowers now. The butterflies are very easy and loads of fun to do! You'll love it!! icon_biggrin.gif

floridagal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
floridagal Posted 7 May 2009 , 10:52pm
post #40 of 887

Thank you SO much for sharing. These are amazing. Now I have to go back to the store and get some gelatin! icon_biggrin.gif

As far as the ccake addiction thing goes - my husband just said that every time I do a cake I have to go buy more things. Then he asked if I wanted him to build me a place just for my cake stuff!! Unfortunately, I think he was kidding icon_lol.gif .

Melissa

kandu001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kandu001 Posted 8 May 2009 , 1:51am
post #41 of 887

Wow! Thank you so much for posting!!!!

TammyH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TammyH Posted 8 May 2009 , 2:36am
post #42 of 887

I have a quick question... when I did my first batch, the color was too light (I tried purple -- gel colors). Not only did i put it on too thin, it was just about clear! (Had to toss the whole batch.) I know this may sound strange but how many drops of color do you use (per 1 recipe)?

As to "hearing" it pop off the sheets.... it kinda freaked me out the first time! I was home (alone) and reading in bed and I kept hearing "something" from the kitchen... it took me a while to figure it out!

TammyH

Cookie4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookie4 Posted 8 May 2009 , 3:41am
post #43 of 887

Di: Many thanks for your willingness to share info with all of us. CC'ers never amaze me with their generosity!

Maria_Campos Posted 8 May 2009 , 4:09am
post #44 of 887
Quote:

You cn DEFINATELY tell if it is too thick, it will not be pliable at all, it will dry a big ol' sheet of hard plastic!! (ask me how I know this......)

Hmm but can I still cut it with a scissor when it too thick I can think of a ew things I can use that for... interesting!!!!!!

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 8 May 2009 , 4:16am
post #45 of 887

Hi Di!

I emailed you last week regarding sending a butterfly imprint sheet to Australia...just wondering if you got my email. Are you able to ship overseas?

Eve

EDITED TO ADD: Actually I want all THREE imprint sheets. My name is Eve and I am a cake decorating equipment addict icon_cry.gif

anasasi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anasasi Posted 8 May 2009 , 4:28am
post #46 of 887

Thank you so much Di and Loucinda! I'm dying to try this out now. If it wasn't 12:26 a.m. then I'd be off to the store this minute icon_lol.gif Will definitely be wanting those sheets too...

Loucinda Posted 8 May 2009 , 12:02pm
post #47 of 887

Maria - yes, you can still cut the thick dry gelatin with scissors, it is just not flexible enough to bend into the shapes needed for the bow.

I am making another one today - painted the impression sheet last night before I went to bed and it was perfectly dry and ready to go this morning. I am taking pics of each step while doing this one.

As far as the color goes, a dab will do! I just put ONE drop of color in the gelatin for the blue bow I posted (and it now my avatar!) I have not tried to do one in a dark color. The one I am working on right now is pink (my favorite color!)

Maria_Campos Posted 8 May 2009 , 12:48pm
post #48 of 887
Quote:

Maria - yes, you can still cut the thick dry gelatin with scissors, it is just not flexible enough to bend into the shapes needed for the bow.

I am making another one today - painted the impression sheet last night before I went to bed and it was perfectly dry and ready to go this morning. I am taking pics of each step while doing this one.

As far as the color goes, a dab will do! I just put ONE drop of color in the gelatin for the blue bow I posted (and it now my avatar!) I have not tried to do one in a dark color. The one I am working on right now is pink (my favorite color!)

Awesome!!! I know just what to do with them!!!!

Loucinda Posted 8 May 2009 , 12:50pm
post #49 of 887

OK....Maria you have to fill me in, I have a big sheet of dry thick gelatin here that could be used for something???? icon_confused.gif

floridagal Posted 8 May 2009 , 12:59pm
post #50 of 887

Loucinda,

You will be posting those pics, won't you? I can hardly wait to 'watch' you. Y'all are so generous to share such an amazing and beautiful technique. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

Melissa icon_biggrin.gif

CakeMakar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMakar Posted 8 May 2009 , 1:04pm
post #51 of 887

Justdi, I don't know if this has been brought up, but you could easily put "Learn to make gelatin bows & butterflies" and your site in your signature so people can see it as you do your everyday posts. (At least I post everyday, I guess I can't talk for everyone. icon_biggrin.gif) You could get traffic to your site & I don't think anyone would feel like you were pushing your product.

Maria_Campos Posted 8 May 2009 , 1:21pm
post #52 of 887

I'm thinking about using them as windows for a ginger bread house or windshield for convertible maybe even stain glass the possibilties are endless

Loucinda Posted 8 May 2009 , 1:22pm
post #53 of 887

Here is the 2nd one I have done with JustDi's impression sheets and technique:

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1363646&done=1

floridagal Posted 8 May 2009 , 1:28pm
post #54 of 887

Maria,

I love the idea of using the gelatin for stained glass windows! That would be gorgeous! And windows on a house...such great ideas.

Melissa

Loucinda Posted 8 May 2009 , 1:38pm
post #55 of 887

Maria...we must've been posting about the same time!! That is a really good idea! It would work too - and be much better than using melted sugar/candy that dries hard and brittle. Thanks for sharing your ideas!!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 8 May 2009 , 1:57pm
post #56 of 887

Here are some other examples of gelatin butterflies, bows and flowers that Di and Michaelle have done.
LL
LL
LL
LL

Loucinda Posted 8 May 2009 , 3:09pm
post #57 of 887

I have close ups of those exact cakes!! (they were the examples they brought to the DOS) ~ they are so pretty. I really love the clear flowers with just the sparkle on them.

Spuddysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spuddysmom Posted 8 May 2009 , 3:29pm
post #58 of 887

Thank you so much!! What an exciting technique - amazing results. Okay, so is there a 24 hr help line for CC addicts (CCA?), cuz let's face it, we all know what we all will be playing with this weekend. Late into the night we'll all be listening for that new "gelatin releasing from the impression sheet" sounds..... SO cool! Thanks again for sharing. BTW, lusterdust on flowers?

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 8 May 2009 , 3:41pm
post #59 of 887

That comma cake is stunning!

mrscromer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrscromer Posted 8 May 2009 , 3:55pm
post #60 of 887

I would like to know how well these BEAUTIFUL gelatin things hold up in humidty? Does anyone know? Thanks for the Info.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%