How To Make Gelatin Bows & Flowers

Decorating By justdi Updated 24 Jan 2017 , 12:26pm by CalaMom

adrigaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adrigaby Posted 15 May 2009 , 3:23pm
post #151 of 887

Thank you very much for sharing. I can´t get the sheets in Argentina, but I´ll try it. Thank you again.

I am also a cake decorating equipment addict icon_biggrin.gif

JCE62108 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JCE62108 Posted 15 May 2009 , 4:50pm
post #152 of 887

I did it! That is just so cool. lol. I got all excited about it and I ran outside to show my husband. All he said was, "uh, huh. Can I eat it?" "SURE you can, honey!" heh heh icon_twisted.gif
LL

ziggytarheel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ziggytarheel Posted 15 May 2009 , 5:00pm
post #153 of 887

Maybe I missed this:

How far in advance can these be made? How should they be stored if they are made in advance?

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 15 May 2009 , 5:43pm
post #154 of 887

JCE - that is beautiful!!!

As far as keeping, I know Diane said she has been hauling the display cake with all the ribbons and flowers and bows on them for a couple of weeks.

tiamaza Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiamaza Posted 15 May 2009 , 6:34pm
post #155 of 887

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

JCE62108 Posted 15 May 2009 , 6:41pm
post #156 of 887

Aww thanks. I was pretty proud for it having been my first try. icon_smile.gif I love this website. You guys are awesome.

I was curious about how to store it also. I dont need this thing right now but I would like to save it. I think Ill just put it in a small cardboard box in my pantry. icon_smile.gif

I really want to try to figure out a way to make these edible. Its sad to have something so pretty on a cake that you cant eat. Im going to be playing around with this and see if I can come up with anything.

JCE62108 Posted 16 May 2009 , 6:59pm
post #157 of 887

Hey guys, I was playing around with the bows and all.

I came up with something that might work for some of you.

I mixed 2 packets plain gelatin with one packet sugar-free flavored gelatin and added 12-13 tbsp hot water.

It worked! The texture was a bit different, not so much like crunchy plastic, but kind of softer, like a plastic/vinyl. (hope I spelled that right)

It took a lot longer to dry. I spread it out last night around 8pm, this morning it was still tacky, but at about 1pm it was good to go. I may have done it a little thicker too. That could have had something to do with it.

I made my hubby the guinea pig. He ate a piece and said it tasted like strong sugar free jello. It was like chewing on plastic until it melted. He said it was edible, not delish or anything, but not that it would make him want to throw up either. lol

So if anyone wants a flavored bow, IT IS DO-ABLE!!! icon_smile.gif
LL
LL
LL

Loucinda Posted 16 May 2009 , 8:16pm
post #158 of 887

OK - wanna make sure I get this right, you used one whole package of the sugar free jello and 2 of the packets of the plain, right?

I am working on something today too - will let you know how this works out - if it does!! icon_biggrin.gif

And NOW I am off to the store once again.......

BTW - I am storing my bows in the styrofoam hamburger containers from GFS - they seem to work out fine. DH said we are gonna have to build on again to store all the stuff I come up with!! icon_lol.gif

Those are soo pretty!!! Thanks for sharing what you figured out - are we having fun or what???

JCE62108 Posted 16 May 2009 , 9:41pm
post #159 of 887

Yes that is right... 1 single packet flavored sugar-free and 2 packets (not boxes) of the knox unflavored gelatin. I used 12- 13 tbsp water. It turned out just like you see in the photo. icon_smile.gif

I dont know if it would work for other things like flowers and such, but the bows worked just fine. icon_smile.gif If you try it tell me how it worked for you.

EDIT: to be even clearer its the SMALL (.32 oz) boxes of sugar free gelatin, not the bigger ones. I used royal brand for this experiment. The Knox comes in a 1 oz box with 4 packets inside, I used 2 packets.

Sorry just want to make it as clear as possible because I would feel HORRIBLE if someone tried this and got mad at me because it didnt turn out right. lol.

tammy1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tammy1977 Posted 16 May 2009 , 10:59pm
post #160 of 887

thanks for the tips on making gelitine bows they are beautiful, would love to order the moulds but I live in Australia, are they a one off or is there a chance that I would be able to find somthing similar over here? if you know of anything and get a spare minute could you let me know? Please pm me.

mommicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommicakes Posted 16 May 2009 , 11:25pm
post #161 of 887

These are wonderful. I saw the original post a few days ago, and just now getting caught up on the whole deal. Thanks for sharing the how-to!! I too must get butterflies.....someday!!! icon_rolleyes.gif

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 17 May 2009 , 12:04am
post #162 of 887

You know Loucinda, your teal bow and my teal butterflies look the same color! icon_biggrin.gif

Alice1230 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alice1230 Posted 17 May 2009 , 12:09am
post #163 of 887
Quote:
Originally Posted by tammy1977

thanks for the tips on making gelitine bows they are beautiful, would love to order the moulds but I live in Australia, are they a one off or is there a chance that I would be able to find somthing similar over here? if you know of anything and get a spare minute could you let me know? Please pm me.

someone said earlier if you email them they will ship internationally so you might try that! I just ordered mine!

anasasi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anasasi Posted 17 May 2009 , 1:58am
post #164 of 887

hhmmm...I wonder if sugar-free Koolaid, in either powder form or as the added liquid, would work the same way for color and flavor. Might alter the consistency, but would be fun to test it out in comparison to the flavored gelatin (gelatin makes more sense though, of course).
Thanks for passing that along icon_biggrin.gif

Loucinda Posted 17 May 2009 , 2:33am
post #165 of 887

BWB - the teal bow is going on my neice's graduation cake.....I LOVE that cake you did with the butterflies all over it - GORGEOUS!!!

OK - not thinking my experiment worked out. I tried using a few drops of lorann oils in the gelatin to give it some flavor.....not so much. icon_razz.gif It DID however make it smell better! thumbs_up.gif

I am gonna try doing the sugar free gelatin thing, didn't get the chance to tonight, but I will get on it tomorrow for sure.

JCE -thanks for the update on the amounts - greatly appreciated!!

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 17 May 2009 , 7:09am
post #166 of 887
Quote:
Originally Posted by tammy1977

thanks for the tips on making gelitine bows they are beautiful, would love to order the moulds but I live in Australia, are they a one off or is there a chance that I would be able to find somthing similar over here? if you know of anything and get a spare minute could you let me know? [email protected]

Tammy - I just ordered some from Dianne in the USA...she does ship to Australia. It will cost you US$12.95 for postage plus the cost of your impression mats.

I can't wait to get mine and start playing!!

Eve

milissasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milissasmom Posted 19 May 2009 , 2:38am
post #167 of 887

Hey Lou, did you try the Sugar Free Jello yet?? If so, how did it turn out? Just curious icon_smile.gif

Cookie4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookie4 Posted 19 May 2009 , 3:41am
post #168 of 887

I too am ordering a set of these and can't wait to try. Have you all thought about painting the back side of artificial plastic leaves and letting them dry and pop off on their own? Is that even possible?

As for flavoring - since water is added why couldn't sugarfree drops be used to sweeten and some plain old flavorings from the market? Just a thought! icon_smile.gif

Loucinda Posted 19 May 2009 , 4:47am
post #169 of 887

I haven't tried it yet, went and bought some though. (not much of a selection of colors, that is for sure) I think we can play with them though - use what colors come in s/f jello and manipulate them some with the gels we use. I wonder if your idea will work - need to give that a try - would defiantley open up the flavor/color combos big time!

The leaves might work, I will have to see if I can find some to try it out on - if anyone else tries, let us know how it works out!

What I did try was NOT coloring the gelatin - just using some rainbow pixie dust in it - letting it dry, then before making the bow pieces, I took a tiny paintbrush - brushed the very edges of the bow piece, and dipped those edges in the rainbow pixie dust again - so the bow is like clear, with sparkles all through it, and the edges of each bow are really sparkly. I will post a pic, I am not sure it will show in the picture though.

I also put lorann oil in it, just a couple of drops - it made it smell better, but it still tastes bad. icon_razz.gif

Here is the link for the clear bow -

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1372705&done=1

bobwonderbuns Posted 19 May 2009 , 12:44pm
post #170 of 887

Loucinda that clear bow is GORGEOUS!! Very pretty! icon_biggrin.gif

Cookie4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookie4 Posted 19 May 2009 , 12:51pm
post #171 of 887

Loucinda - that clear bow is exquisite! It looks very clear and white - is that how it really looks, or does it have that beige look of the gelatin? Looks like something that would be put on a wedding package.

CakeDiane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiane Posted 19 May 2009 , 1:37pm
post #172 of 887

Lou, the clear bow is gorgeous! When you put the pixie dust on the edges, what are you brushing the edges with first to make it stick--more gelatin??

milissasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milissasmom Posted 19 May 2009 , 9:03pm
post #173 of 887

Wow Loucinda...The clear bow is AWESOME! Great Job!

luvchocolate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvchocolate Posted 20 May 2009 , 2:41am
post #174 of 887

I love your new, clear bow! The pixie dust gives a nice effect. Thanks for sharing. You sure are creative!

Loucinda Posted 20 May 2009 , 8:35pm
post #175 of 887

Yes, the bow is very clear....not yellow at all. In the sunlight and the lights in the kitchen at night, it just goes crazy with the sparkles!

For the edges - I took a very tiny paintbrush, and some very warm gelatin, painted just the very edge (about 1/4 to 1/3 of the length of the bow at a time) put some of the pixie dust on a piece of wax paper - gently "dipped" the freshly brushed gelatin edge in that pixie dust....then went back and kept "painting" the edge and dipping it until both sides of the bow were done. I let it set a few minutes, then formed the bow sections...then just made the bow as the directions say to do.

Sorry it took so long to post, this is a busy cake week for me! (which is a good thing!) icon_biggrin.gif

bobwonderbuns Posted 21 May 2009 , 12:00am
post #176 of 887

When I did the butterflies, I used thinned piping gel on the edges to adhere the pixie dust. That works good too.

Loucinda Posted 21 May 2009 , 12:40pm
post #177 of 887

BWB - does that piping gel dry? (never tried it)

bobwonderbuns Posted 21 May 2009 , 2:34pm
post #178 of 887

Yes it dries but you only need a TINY bit. It gets covered up with the dust which reduces the "gooey" factor. icon_biggrin.gif

Bakingangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bakingangel Posted 22 May 2009 , 1:47am
post #179 of 887

BWB, what do you thin the gel with, water or alcohol?

KatieKake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatieKake Posted 22 May 2009 , 2:00am
post #180 of 887

Is pixie dust and disco dust one in the same, I just ordered $40.00 worth of disco dust, and would be most upset if it is the wrong thing!

Lucinda, your clear bow is beautiful.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%