How To Make Gelatin Bows & Flowers

Decorating By justdi Updated 24 Jan 2017 , 12:26pm by CalaMom

justdi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justdi Posted 7 May 2009 , 2:56pm
post #1 of 887

Hi all,
I have been summoned in to give a quick tutorial after the bow was posted yesterday. I'll give you a quick overview at this point (I have a TON of cake orders this weekend, so this is all I have time for right now - sorry...)

I have added a photo of the flowers, and Cindy posted a bow yesterday...

Basically, you mix 2 1/2 parts water and 1 part gelatin (unflavored - like Knox... NOT Jello! icon_smile.gif ) Warm in microwave, then let sit 5-10 minutes to allow the scum to raise to the top. Peel the scum off (photo below) then gelatin is ready to use (you'll need to rewarm to liquify at this point.)

Brush onto veining or texture sheet and let it sit for 3-5 hours... gelatin will release itself when it's completely dry. Once dry, you can cut w/ regular scissors, scrapbooking scissors, etc... For the bows, cut into strips, then use a small drop of gelatin to attach together. Add a paperclip to hold together 10-15 minutes until set, then they're done. To form the bow, place a quarter size bit of warm gelatin mix on a plate or pc of plastic... add the bows as you would assemble a g/p or fondant bow. Let the first layer set up, then add more warm gelatin in the center and add remaining bow loops.

I have a photo below of one of our texture sheets and showing the bow strips being cut.

Thanks!
Di icon_smile.gif
LL
LL
LL

886 replies
Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 7 May 2009 , 3:23pm
post #2 of 887

THANK YOU SOO MUCH DI!!!

I have literally over 200 requests for this info, I can't tell you how much I appreciate you posting this for everyone.

AND I still want one of the first copies of the book!! thumbs_up.gif

Here is the link to my bow that I posted yesterday (that got all the buzz going!!)

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1362188

nonnyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nonnyscakes Posted 7 May 2009 , 3:29pm
post #3 of 887

Thank you for sharing! I visited your website this morning and am eager to order your flower and butterfly sheets. I can't wait for you to get them back in stock. Also, I would love to know when your book is released! Please post a message here for all of us here at CC.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 7 May 2009 , 3:30pm
post #4 of 887

Thank you so much for posting instructions. I can't wait for your book to come out. I want it all of the texture sheets. Do you have a waiting list or pre-order for the book?

nannie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannie Posted 7 May 2009 , 3:31pm
post #5 of 887

Thanks so much thumbs_up.gif

Now I'm kicking myself cause I had the opportunity to take their class at ICES this summer and picked a different one. icon_cry.gif

Hopefully there will be a demo at night of sharing.

icon_biggrin.gif

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 7 May 2009 , 3:34pm
post #6 of 887

Di,
Thank you so much for taking the time and for sharing this great technique. All of us who wanted to know how to do this here on CC are so appreciative of your generosity to share this with us. What a a great bow! We are looking forward to your book - please let us know when we can get a copy.

Thank you!

susanscakecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanscakecreations Posted 7 May 2009 , 3:37pm
post #7 of 887

Thank you SO much for posting this information! I love the butterflies and the flowers! I will definitely be trying this technique!
And yes, please let us know when the book comes out!

Thanks! icon_wink.gif

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 7 May 2009 , 3:37pm
post #8 of 887

How do you color the gelatin?

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 7 May 2009 , 3:38pm
post #9 of 887
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loucinda

THANK YOU SOO MUCH DI!!!

I have literally over 200 requests for this info, I can't tell you how much I appreciate you posting this for everyone.

AND I still want one of the first copies of the book!! thumbs_up.gif

Oh no you don't -- I get the first copy!! icon_lol.gif

mjballinger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjballinger Posted 7 May 2009 , 3:47pm
post #10 of 887

Thank you so much! I can't wait until you get the sheets back in stock again! What am I supposed to do until then? lol

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 7 May 2009 , 4:04pm
post #11 of 887

Wow, thanks!

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Maria_Campos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maria_Campos Posted 7 May 2009 , 4:06pm
post #12 of 887

Must.. have... butterfly... sheets.
Is there no end to my cake supply addiction!!!!!!!!

destinyrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
destinyrn Posted 7 May 2009 , 4:09pm
post #13 of 887
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peridot

Di,
Thank you so much for taking the time and for sharing this great technique. All of us who wanted to know how to do this here on CC are so appreciative of your generosity to share this with us. What a a great bow! We are looking forward to your book - please let us know when we can get a copy.

Thank you!

Ditto icon_biggrin.gif

justdi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justdi Posted 7 May 2009 , 4:10pm
post #14 of 887

You guys are funny! Guess I should've posted this here sooner to help w/ slow season... (seriously, I'm excited to show ppl all this new stuff we've come up with, but don't want to seem like I'm just doing it to push sales so that's why I hadn't posted anything b4.)

To color the gelatin (sorry, that was a main point I missed! OOPS!) - just use airbrush colors, or gel paste colors (like Americolor). You can add this to the water before mixing, or after dissolved. If you only have paste or pwd colors, then dissolve that in your water first to make sure it's not grainy when you add in the gelatin.

Now I'm off to the kitchen!

icon_smile.gif

pinktea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinktea Posted 7 May 2009 , 4:12pm
post #15 of 887

Love those butterflies!!! Got to get those sheets !!!!

Loucinda Posted 7 May 2009 , 4:13pm
post #16 of 887

OK BWB......you get the first one, I will settle for the 2nd one! icon_biggrin.gif

She still has the sheets for the BOW in stock (she is sold out of the butterfly and flower sheets - will be back in stock in 3 - 4 weeks)

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 7 May 2009 , 4:14pm
post #17 of 887
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maria_Campos

icon_lol.gif Nope! You're one of us now! icon_lol.gif (one of us... one of us...) icon_biggrin.gif

Maria_Campos Posted 7 May 2009 , 4:19pm
post #18 of 887

How thick do you paint the gelatin on the sheet?

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 7 May 2009 , 4:22pm
post #19 of 887

Justdi Thank You Thank You Thank you!!!

Thank You Loucinda for letting me know this was in here now!!!
This is just too beautiful!

pouchet82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pouchet82 Posted 7 May 2009 , 4:27pm
post #20 of 887

Thanks so much! I can't wait until the book comes out!! I am glad it will rain here this weekend so that I can play with some gelatin!!

Maria_Campos Posted 7 May 2009 , 4:29pm
post #21 of 887
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

Quote:

icon_lol.gif Nope! You're one of us now! icon_lol.gif (one of us... one of us...) icon_biggrin.gif

ROTFL!!! icon_lol.gif I no longer have a dinning room and 1/2 a laundry room and I'm now eyeing my living room for space for my cake stuff!!

Mme_K Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mme_K Posted 7 May 2009 , 4:35pm
post #22 of 887
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

Quote:

ROTFL!!! icon_lol.gif I no longer have a dinning room and 1/2 a laundry room and I'm now eyeing my living room for space for my cake stuff!!

Oh my.... that sounds like my house! Thank you so much Justdi for sharing with us.... looking forward to the book thumbs_up.gif

Loucinda Posted 7 May 2009 , 4:44pm
post #23 of 887
Quote:

How thick do you paint the gelatin on the sheet?

That is where my "trial and error" part came in. You don't want it thick, but you don't want it too thin either. If Di has a secret for determining that I hope she fills us in! (I made my first sheet too thick, the 2nd too thin, but the 3rd one was just right!!)

dolfin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolfin Posted 7 May 2009 , 4:51pm
post #24 of 887

do you put anything on sheet before the gelatin (so it won't stick) or does it just come off?

Loucinda Posted 7 May 2009 , 4:53pm
post #25 of 887

Nothing on the sheets - when the gelatin is dry - it literally pops off by itself! (when I made the butterflies, I had the sheet of them setting on the counter here beside me, and I could actually HEAR them releasing from the sheet!)

dolfin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolfin Posted 7 May 2009 , 4:57pm
post #26 of 887

Thank you both so much for sharing the information and so quickly!!! Can't wait to try! One last question, any idea how they hold up in heat. Temps here get into 115's and higher.

splash2splat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
splash2splat Posted 7 May 2009 , 5:42pm
post #27 of 887

thank you

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 7 May 2009 , 5:50pm
post #28 of 887

Thankyou sooo much..I can't wait to try this.Seems easier than fondant or gumpaste!!!I'm off to check out your site! icon_smile.gif

shelly-101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelly-101 Posted 7 May 2009 , 5:52pm
post #29 of 887

thank you so much.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 7 May 2009 , 5:56pm
post #30 of 887

Hmmm.I didn't see the bow sheets on her site..Just the flower,butterfly and leaf sheets.Where do I look for those?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%