Help...first Square Cake Order

Decorating By sugar-2 Updated 7 May 2009 , 7:21pm by idjitmom

sugar-2 Posted 7 May 2009 , 2:07pm
post #1 of 4

So i just spent a small fortune on some good square cake pans that are
4" deep....question is, bottom tier is 10", should i bake two 2" deep cakes separately or is it safe to bake one 4"deep cake and split afterwards to fill...concerned about baking the cake properly in the middle????
Hope this makes sense!
Also should i separate the top tier using a cake plate, which will be a 6" square??

3 replies
aggiechef Posted 7 May 2009 , 2:19pm
post #2 of 4

If it were me, I'd bake the one deep layer and then split it. I like the deeper pans myself because I don't have to bake more than one cake for my tiers. Also, anytime you're worried about the centers not cooking evenly, use a heating core or an inverted flower nail. I'm not sure the flower nail will work with a 4" cake, but the Wilton heating core will be fine. This will help everything cook evenly.
If you're stacking the 2 tiers, then you don't need a plastic plate between them. Make sure the 6" is on a board and place dowel rods in the bottom tier. The board rests on the dowels and prevents your bottom tier from getting squished.

Hope this helps. icon_biggrin.gif

sugar-2 Posted 7 May 2009 , 4:10pm
post #3 of 4

Thanks for the advice, greatly appreciated!!!

idjitmom Posted 7 May 2009 , 7:21pm
post #4 of 4

I have a couple 3" pans that I use occasionally to their full depth. Speaking just for myself, I would not be at all comfortable going any deeper, I have to be very carefull to do everything exactly right w/ the 3" pans, 3" seems to be the safe limit - for me at least!

Quote by @%username% on %date%