Questions On Constructing 3D Cakes!

Decorating By sweet_2th_fairy Updated 8 May 2009 , 3:58am by sweet_2th_fairy

sweet_2th_fairy Posted 7 May 2009 , 1:52pm
post #1 of 4

I've never made any type of cake other than your standard 2 layer round cake and Wilton's oversized cupcake, but would like to attempt to make a 3 D pirate ship cake. I was planning on making several square shaped cakes, cutting them into the appropriate shapes, and then using skewers to "attach" them together with some buttercream. Will this work?Any better ideas?

Also, can I use rolled buttercream to cover instead of fondant?

Lastly...I want to use modeling chocolate for some decorations. Does it need to be refrigerated in between uses? Any suggestions on what to do when it has become "rock hard?"

Thank you for your expertise. icon_smile.gif

3 replies
Kiddiekakes Posted 7 May 2009 , 6:10pm
post #2 of 4

I would suggest that you use less cake pieces and carve it rather than piece it together with skewers.I use a 2..9x13 stacked and carve from there.I too tried to piece cake and the weight of the fondant cracked the bow off and it fell over.Too many skewers also can cause the cake to crumble from too many holes etc.

Yes..you can use rolled BC if you like!!

I don't refrigerate my modelling chocloate as it becomes very difficult to knead and roll out.I keep it in a sealed container at room temp.Then again it is never around that long!Just knead it in your hands like clay...You can spot microwave it for 5 seconds but everyone's microwave is different in heat distribution and you may end up scortching it.Kneading is better!

sweet_2th_fairy Posted 7 May 2009 , 6:33pm
post #3 of 4

Anyone? Please?

sweet_2th_fairy Posted 8 May 2009 , 3:58am
post #4 of 4

Thank you, Kiddiekakes! I truly appreciate your advice. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%