Chocolate Molding Clay Question...

Baking By Elise87 Updated 9 May 2009 , 1:30am by Elise87

Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 7 May 2009 , 1:27pm
post #1 of 8

if you want to make white chocolate roses, can you use white cooking chocolate in the molding clay recipe or does it have to be just normal white eating chocolate?

7 replies
drakegore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drakegore Posted 7 May 2009 , 2:18pm
post #2 of 8

i am not sure there is any difference with white chocolate (but it could be wrong). what i have read, is that white chocolate has a higher fat content so you need to adjust the chocolate clay recipe to accomodate that by varying the amount of corn syrup...and this gives you a bump, lol.
diane

idjitmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idjitmom Posted 7 May 2009 , 7:26pm
post #3 of 8

I know this doesn't answer your question, but I have used white almond bark, that might be a workable alternative...

Elise87 Posted 8 May 2009 , 1:04am
post #4 of 8

yeh i only had some white cooking choc at home so i used that but i tell you what, my chococlate molding clay is just not working!! it is nothing like it should be and i followed instructions of what to do so i was thinking maybe it has something to do with the cooking stuff and extra fat like that but i dunno, am lost lol icon_sad.gif

drakegore Posted 8 May 2009 , 1:00pm
post #5 of 8

did you let it "age" overnight in the refridgerator? it should rest overnight to 24 hours before using.

another thing that can make it unworkable, especially if more fat is involved, is overkneading and getting it to warm...then the fat comes out and it starts to get "gritty" looking. if this happens just set in in the fridge and start again after it gets cold.

try kneading against a board so that it is not always in your hands getting too warm.

i hope that helps!

Elise87 Posted 8 May 2009 , 1:27pm
post #6 of 8

well my prob was it was just NOTHING like it should be that i have seen!

Here is what i did : I melted the white chocolate (and it was the cooking stuff which is fattier unfortunately) then i got the liquid glucose and warmed it up until it became runnier and then i put it into the bowl of choc and stired it and almost instantly it became like a whipped curdled dough and then became hard and then i put it in the fridge even though i knew it was ruined and it went like frozen hard even after 15 mins when i checked it! It was at no stage kneadable, it was a disaster!! lol

drakegore Posted 8 May 2009 , 1:56pm
post #7 of 8

i think glucose is corn syrup we have here, i hope icon_smile.gif.

i melt my chocolate, take it off the stove and stir in the room temperature glucose until completely incorporated. the chocolate will follow your spoon around the bowl and seperate from the sides of the bowl.

then i pour the whole "glob" (and that is what it will look like...) onto cling wrap and smooth it out into a slab that is about 1" thick. dble wrap with saran/cling wrap and into the fridge.

when i take it out, it is hard as rock. you can let it come to room temp before kneading. i never seem to remember in time, so i cut or break off a chunck the size i need and microwave for 4-5 seconds on each side, then begin kneading. do not over microwave or it gets to warm and you end up with oily/gritty clay.

Elise87 Posted 9 May 2009 , 1:30am
post #8 of 8

yeh i think they are the same. N yeh i did everything you did too, and i actually did it twice and the first time i used the glucose at room temp as well then the second i warmed it up, both times as soon and i stired it just a little bit it ended up looking 'whipped' then into a blob and within 1 min it was hard as a rock lol If i kneaded it, it would snap and it wasn't even a blob or spreadable. And i did leave it out at room temp for a bit out of the fridge and it was still hard as anything.

.......i just don't know what happened lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%