Buttercream Disaster

Decorating By Pastel_cakes Updated 8 May 2009 , 8:17am by JanH

Pastel_cakes Posted 7 May 2009 , 9:44am
post #1 of 5

Hi everyone! I'm new to the world of cakes and decorating and I need your advice.
Well, I live in Vietnam, but I love cupcakes and buttercream. I tried so many times do to it at home. I followed every recipe and did everything, but my buttercream is still a disaster. it does not have the right consistency: it does not crust and is not thick enough. so i can't pipe it correctly.
Does the matter come from the temperature?? (too high?) or the ingredient?
Can you help me??

4 replies
Ursula40 Posted 7 May 2009 , 10:09am
post #2 of 5

Well I live in China and the humidity sometimes drives me bonkers in addition to the fact, that I can't get everything I need here. It would be easier however to diagnose what's wrong, if you could post the recipe you are using and which ingredients and methods used

JenniferMI Posted 8 May 2009 , 12:44am
post #3 of 5

I'm not sure if you can get hi-ratio and crisco where you live... if you can, I am happy to share my recipe.

You just need to keep trying new recipes. Some that are full bodied, that will hold up well to piping..

Jen icon_smile.gif

Pastel_cakes Posted 8 May 2009 , 7:15am
post #4 of 5

@ ursula40: I use the basic buttercream recipe with butter, icing sugar and a lil bit of milk (i don't have the full recipe with me right now) and I follow the recipe's directions. but i'll post it later.

@JenniferMI: I can get crisco, but i don't know what hi-ratio is.

and thank you for your reply

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%