Buttercream Disaster

Decorating By Pastel_cakes Updated 8 May 2009 , 8:17am by JanH

Pastel_cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastel_cakes Posted 7 May 2009 , 9:44am
post #1 of 5

Hi everyone! I'm new to the world of cakes and decorating and I need your advice.
Well, I live in Vietnam, but I love cupcakes and buttercream. I tried so many times do to it at home. I followed every recipe and did everything, but my buttercream is still a disaster. it does not have the right consistency: it does not crust and is not thick enough. so i can't pipe it correctly.
Does the matter come from the temperature?? (too high?) or the ingredient?
Can you help me??

4 replies
Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 7 May 2009 , 10:09am
post #2 of 5

Well I live in China and the humidity sometimes drives me bonkers in addition to the fact, that I can't get everything I need here. It would be easier however to diagnose what's wrong, if you could post the recipe you are using and which ingredients and methods used

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 8 May 2009 , 12:44am
post #3 of 5

I'm not sure if you can get hi-ratio and crisco where you live... if you can, I am happy to share my recipe.

You just need to keep trying new recipes. Some that are full bodied, that will hold up well to piping..

Jen icon_smile.gif

Pastel_cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastel_cakes Posted 8 May 2009 , 7:15am
post #4 of 5

@ ursula40: I use the basic buttercream recipe with butter, icing sugar and a lil bit of milk (i don't have the full recipe with me right now) and I follow the recipe's directions. but i'll post it later.

@JenniferMI: I can get crisco, but i don't know what hi-ratio is.

and thank you for your reply

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%