Found A Recipe...don't Understand One Ingredient

Decorating By rocketmom1985 Updated 7 May 2009 , 6:11am by lilthorner

rocketmom1985 Posted 7 May 2009 , 3:44am
post #1 of 11

I was jumping around the net tonight, guess I was bored icon_rolleyes.gif and I shoulda baked....but came across this recipe on foodtv...

Vanilla Buttercake

The intro says it is from Last Cake standing and is a recipe by Courtney Clark.

It calls for "baking flour".

So...ok, what is baking flour? icon_confused.gif Cake flour? It only calls for 3 teaspoons (hey, isn't that a tablespoon...why are they trying to confuse me for heaven's sake...I is a simple person here. Why not just say one tablespoon? Why measure three times when I can measure only once icon_eek.gif )

10 replies
sari66 Posted 7 May 2009 , 3:51am
post #2 of 11

No idea to either question, someone may know what that flour is.

playingwithsugar Posted 7 May 2009 , 3:58am
post #3 of 11

It's probably cake flour.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

estherwheat Posted 7 May 2009 , 3:59am
post #4 of 11

I bet that it is a typo and should be powder or soda. There is not any listed and I googled Baking Flour and there really isn't anything called that.

liv6 Posted 7 May 2009 , 4:01am
post #5 of 11

Maybe its Pastry Flour?

tonedna Posted 7 May 2009 , 4:05am
post #6 of 11

Is 3 Im guessing it has to be baking soda..

Sugarflowers Posted 7 May 2009 , 4:11am
post #7 of 11

My guess would be baking powder. It's possible that she told someone the recipe (maybe over the phone) and the person heard baking flour instead of baking powder. It looks like a pretty good recipe though.

lilthorner Posted 7 May 2009 , 5:23am
post #8 of 11

baking powder. it wouldn't (or rather shouldn't) be baking soda, there is nothing to provide the acid (such as sour cream, buttermilk)

bakermommy4 Posted 7 May 2009 , 5:44am
post #9 of 11

Baker's flour refers to cake flour which is very low gluten, still yet in other areas it is refered to as clear flour, and other areas bread flour. That is probably why as professional bakers in the US we do not use the term baker's flour. It is about as specific as saying wheat flour.

Just did a grueling 3 years in Pastry Arts and boy oh boy do they drill that in your head

lostincake Posted 7 May 2009 , 5:57am
post #10 of 11

My guess would have been baking powder too based on the small amount needed however it is still more than most recipes I have that call for baking powder.

Baking flour is odd but did anyone check out the recipe for the Swiss butter cream below? 24 egg whites, 6 cups of sugar and 14 cups of butter for a standard cake recipe that serves 6-8? That sounds like a lot but I don't make swiss buttercream so maybe that's normal? lol

lilthorner Posted 7 May 2009 , 6:11am
post #11 of 11

i can see about the baking flour being cake flour, but the absence of a leavening agent is what lead me to believe that it would be baking powder. I do realize it's a butter cake, and now that I look at it, it seems like quite a bit of yolks for that amount of flour..

I personally would email courtney and ask if the recpe is accurate and what baking flour is

Quote by @%username% on %date%