Need Receipe For Not So Sweet Buttercream

Decorating By jl5949 Updated 18 May 2009 , 4:38pm by Lineah

jl5949 Posted 7 May 2009 , 2:46am
post #1 of 12

Hello,

I am looking for a buttercream receipe that is not to sweet but that easily crusts and can be left out of the fridge... any suggestions?

Thank you!

11 replies
GI Posted 7 May 2009 , 5:34am
post #2 of 12

I've made the Whimsical Bakehouse Buttercream, added non-dairy creamer to it to get it to crust better, and then left it out. It's not that sweet, so perhaps this will work for you. icon_smile.gif

candynumber1 Posted 7 May 2009 , 5:47am
post #3 of 12

Wow, GI thanks for the tip. Gonna try that one.

FlourPots Posted 7 May 2009 , 9:47pm
post #4 of 12

I make indydeb's BC with only 6 cups of powdered sugar...I also add 1/2 tsp. of salt, and I always make it about 3 days before I need it because the flavor is crazy good that way.

crisseyann Posted 7 May 2009 , 9:55pm
post #5 of 12

GI, I adore WBH buttercream but found out it doesn't crust at all. How much creamer do you add to make it crust? I am assuming you mean the powdered dry creamer. Please let me know. TIA> icon_smile.gif

GI Posted 8 May 2009 , 3:26am
post #6 of 12

I ended up adding a boatload of it, gosh perhaps maybe 1/3 to 1/2 c. of dry? I can't remember...and of course I didn't write it down. icon_redface.gif

I like the SMBC and have left it out all day and into the next day and the next. I didn't "fill" the cake, tho. And after about Day 3 if there was any cake left, then I just wrapped it tight and put it in the fridge.

SMBC is not a sweet or heavy icing and it was in a normal temp home. I wouldn't leave it out in the heat, or outside, tho.

cakeandpartygirl Posted 8 May 2009 , 10:22am
post #8 of 12

There is one recipe that you replace 1 cup of corn starch for a cup of powdered sugar. I didn't care too much for the after taste but the customer thought it was wonderful.

GI Posted 9 May 2009 , 5:31am
post #9 of 12

cakeandpartygirl I tried that recipe and thought it was pretty bad, no offense to the maker of it. It was like, if it sounds too good to be true?? icon_lol.gif

BAKE-ME-A-CAKE Posted 18 May 2009 , 12:08am
post #10 of 12

I like "Julie's not so sweet buttercream" on this site. Let me know if you can't find it. It crusts and it's true...not so sweet.

cakeandpartygirl Posted 18 May 2009 , 1:54am
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by GI

cakeandpartygirl I tried that recipe and thought it was pretty bad, no offense to the maker of it. It was like, if it sounds too good to be true?? icon_lol.gif

I tried that too and I didn't like it at all. The customer did. It wouldn't ever be something that I would add to my icings that I normally offer

Lineah Posted 18 May 2009 , 4:38pm
post #12 of 12

add salt...no joke, just a pinch at a time, it takes away the sweetness but doesn't add the salty tast. I can make my favorite recipies to customers taste on sweetness just baised on how much salt is added.
Hope this helps

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%