How Do You Attach Your Figurines To Your Cakes?

Decorating By sheilabelle Updated 7 May 2009 , 2:12am by PinkZiab

sheilabelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheilabelle Posted 7 May 2009 , 12:44am
post #1 of 6

I have made a few figurines for cake toppers and can't find the perfect way to attach them to the top of the cake. When they are sitting it's not a big problem. When I make them stand I'm having problems. I'm also finding that people are wanting to keep the figurines so I would like them to be somewhat free standing. Is this possible? icon_rolleyes.gif

Thanks for any and all advice.

5 replies
Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 7 May 2009 , 12:55am
post #2 of 6

Take a look at Aine2's pictures. She is the modeling guru! She sometimes used a board covered in fondant to hold her figures. That can be removed from the cake with the figures attached.

I use edible glue for attaching figures to my cakes.

sheilabelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheilabelle Posted 7 May 2009 , 1:17am
post #3 of 6

I have looked at Lorraine's site (she has an amazing talant). I have also purchased some of her tutorials (all of the figures are sitting). Is the glue strong enough to keep a figure up-right? The cakes are having to be delivered already assembled. I have tried drying the figures with toothpicks / scewers inserted in their feet and then sticking these into a board and glueing that onto the cake. Just want to see if there is a better way. Thanks.

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 7 May 2009 , 1:53am
post #4 of 6

I have done a few standing figures, I also made them with spagetti or toothpicks coming out of the legs and feet. It worked ok, but I didn't have to travel far. You need to make sure your figure is well balanced and doesn't have a tendency to fall one way or the other. Of course it would be much better if you could just place it on the cake once you got there.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 7 May 2009 , 2:01am
post #5 of 6

Toothpicks and skewers!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 7 May 2009 , 2:12am
post #6 of 6

I usually make mine with skewers coming out of the bottom so I can slide them right into the cake. If the customer wants to keep the figure, the skewers are easily cut off with a pair of kitchen shears.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%