Swarovski Crystals On A Wedding Cake???

Decorating By JamieBrooke Updated 7 May 2009 , 3:56pm by SuePerb

JamieBrooke Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JamieBrooke Posted 6 May 2009 , 11:40pm
post #1 of 7

I am doing a wedding cake ini two weeks and the Bride has requested swarovski crystals on the actual cake. Well i go out and buy some really pretty crystals, i get home and read the back of the box and it reads "This product contains lead and can cause cancer or reproductive harm! MAY BE HARMFUL IF SWALLOWED." so this freaks me out. I have already had a disscussion with her about the crystals needing to be removed obviously before the cake was eaten, but I didnt know that this danger was there. I am afraid to put these on the cake, because if one just happens to not be removed and is ingested then I think that could come back on me. I am not crazy about putting any poor wedding guest in harm either. I have been looking at lots of wedding cake photos online, and I see tons of other wedding cakes that say that they have swarovski crystals on them. SO what's the deal? I need some serious advice on what to do here. Should I do the cake how she wants it? If I do should I make up a document and have her sign it saying that the server is responsible for removing them? I am just a stay at home mom trying to make some money doing this from home. WHAT WOULD YOU DO??? I REALLY WANTED TO DO ANOTHER WEDDING CAKE, I JUST DONT WANT ANYTHING SERIOUS TO GO WRONG HERE!!! PLEASE HELP!!! icon_cry.gif

6 replies
classiccake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
classiccake Posted 7 May 2009 , 2:00am
post #2 of 7

I have a photo of a wedding cake with Swarowski crystals on it in my photos. I just looked and it is the first photo in the second row.

I bought the "pins" that have a head on them ...can't think of the real name...in the jewelry dept, threaded it through the crystal, then attached that to a wire and wrapped the whole thing in white floral tape. It did two things:
1. It made a large object that was impossible to miss when the cake was cut and served.

2. The floral tape was what was in the cake, not the crystal.

I also purchased a strand of crystals from a fabric store and wrapped them around several places on the cake. Nothing was labeled as hazardous, no one got a crystal, and no one got sick!

redpanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpanda Posted 7 May 2009 , 2:09am
post #3 of 7

Is floral tape food-safe? If so, this is an excellent solution. I would be worried about just sticking the crystals on the cake. (mmmm, crunchy glass!)

cindy531 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy531 Posted 7 May 2009 , 2:18am
post #4 of 7

Just a thought...not sure it would work..but hey...

Maybe you can try dipping the crystal in some royal icing just up to the edge of the crystal. Let it dry and then you can place them all over the cake. The royal icing would then be the barrier between the crystal and the cake. (Am I making sense?)

I think making her sign an agreement is a smart thing as well.

classiccake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
classiccake Posted 7 May 2009 , 2:23am
post #5 of 7

I would NEVER put a crystal by itself on the icing....I think you would just be asking for trouble!

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 7 May 2009 , 2:30am
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by classiccake

I would NEVER put a crystal by itself on the icing....I think you would just be asking for trouble!

I had this issue before and I actually hate the idea.. But some brides just want crystals in their cakes.. Some of them usually come with the plastic ones. My worry usually is...What if they miss one??..What if someone bites on it.. I say..if they want it..sign a release form..so it's not in your hands..

http://webhosting.web.com/imagelib/sitebuilder/misc/show_image.html?linkedwidth=300&linkpath=http://www.designmeacake.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/weddings/.pond/browndiamonds.JPG.w300h422.jpg&target=tlx_pichl2u

By that photo you can see I was not happy about doing this cake.. But sometimes you cant find a client..Thats where contracts clean the mess..
Edna

SuePerb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SuePerb Posted 7 May 2009 , 3:56pm
post #7 of 7

Wow, I bet the caterer just LOVED cutting that cake! NOT!

I say give her a release to sign and call it a day, although the idea of putting lead based items on a cake does seem scary. Perhaps the royal icing or piping gel or something of that nature would be a good barrier?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%