Broad Curve Top Edger By Edgers?? Any Good????

Decorating By tinygoose Updated 25 May 2009 , 4:54pm by jo_ann

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 6 May 2009 , 11:08pm
post #1 of 16

I was thinking about getting one of these either the Curve Top or Narrow Top edger. It's a little pricey, so I thought I'd ask my CCer's. Does anyone have it? Do you like it??

http://www.globalsugarart.com/search.php?search=edger

15 replies
j-pal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
j-pal Posted 7 May 2009 , 1:44am
post #2 of 16

I have just regular "fondant smoothers" and they work great for tops and sides... I did, however, consider getting the curved "inside" smoother. Haven't got it yet, though, so would be curious of others' opinions as well.

My concern with the curve top and narrow top edger is that they have straight sides. Not the sides that you smooth with, but where the smooth part ends. I know that isn't making sense, but I would be afraid that if I'm smooth the top and pushing it down and around, that it would get hung up and actually cause more damage than good. Make sense? If both "sides" of the smoother had a gentl curve up, you could push it around and nothing would get hung up. I hope you understand what I'm trying to say!!! Sorry - I don't mean to be confusing! If you do get them, let me know how it works! icon_surprised.gif)

cakeinthebox4U Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeinthebox4U Posted 7 May 2009 , 1:48am
post #3 of 16

I just ordered the narrow edger and am waiting for it to arrive...I'll keep this thread and let you know how it works icon_smile.gif For the price I have my fingers crossed that it's worth it!

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 7 May 2009 , 1:49am
post #4 of 16

I always wondered if they are good...I want the answer too!
Edna icon_smile.gif

classiccake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
classiccake Posted 7 May 2009 , 2:10am
post #5 of 16

I use a thin flexible piece of plastic...about the size of a credit card. Let's see if I can explain this...if you put your fingers on the outside of the plastic and your thumb on the inside, you can bend it into the perfect curve to round the top edge of your cake. Try it on one of your business cards to see what I mean...(NOT to use on your cake!)

If you hold the plastic firm, and spin your turntable with your other hand, it skims off just enough icing to round the edge. I do use a non-crusting icing and get the icing cold to do this. It does take a little bit of practice to figure out how to hold the card and how much pressure to use.

If you look in my photos, the third cake on the top row is yellow with purple flowers. This is the technique I used to get the buttercream to look like fondant with the rounded edge.

tinygoose Posted 7 May 2009 , 2:10am
post #6 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by j-pal

My concern with the curve top and narrow top edger is that they have straight sides. Not the sides that you smooth with, but where the smooth part ends. I know that isn't making sense, but I would be afraid that if I'm smooth the top and pushing it down and around, that it would get hung up and actually cause more damage than good. Make sense? If both "sides" of the smoother had a gentl curve up, you could push it around and nothing would get hung up. I hope you understand what I'm trying to say!!! Sorry - I don't mean to be confusing! If you do get them, let me know how it works! icon_surprised.gif)

No that totally makes sense! That's the same thing I was wondering about them. Pudwick...keep us posted...thanks so much!

cakeinthebox4U Posted 13 May 2009 , 1:43am
post #7 of 16

Okay I got my edger today! Yay!! Now I just need to do a cake with it - I have a two coming up, the first is a carved cake though so it won't work on that...the second I can try it with though. I'll let you know how it goes. (FYI - it's the sharp edge edger that I got)

j-pal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
j-pal Posted 13 May 2009 , 2:21am
post #8 of 16

Yeah - definitely keep us posted... can't wait to find out how that edger works!

tinygoose Posted 13 May 2009 , 2:41am
post #9 of 16

Me too!!

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 13 May 2009 , 3:23am
post #10 of 16

me three!..lol
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 13 May 2009 , 5:52am
post #11 of 16

I'm sorry to be a downer, but I consider my purchase of 3 of those edgers a colossal waste of money. I used them a couple of times and now they sit, collecting dust.

cakeinthebox4U Posted 13 May 2009 , 11:37am
post #12 of 16

I hope I have better luck.

cakeinthebox4U Posted 25 May 2009 , 12:21pm
post #13 of 16

Well I used my edger this weekend and honestly - not super impressed. I am going to give it another try though because I tried using ganache for the first time under my fondant vs buttercream so maybe the ganache didn't have enough 'cushion' to use it properly. I'll post again when I use it with buttercream. Here is the pic of the cake us used it with....nothing you can't do with your hands.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1376021

cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 25 May 2009 , 12:34pm
post #14 of 16

I'm wondering if the narrow edger be used with an all buttercream cake?

paolacaracas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paolacaracas Posted 25 May 2009 , 12:48pm
post #15 of 16

I have one, and I never use it. Not worth the money.

jo_ann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jo_ann Posted 25 May 2009 , 4:54pm
post #16 of 16

I have the broad and narrow edgers and use them on my buttercream cakes. I put a piece of copy paper under the edger and smooth it that way when I don't want a sharp top edge. Works for me. The red scroll work cake as well as the sweet 16 are 2 of the buttercream cakes I've used them on. I like them.

Jo-Ann

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%