Fake Cakes That Are Carved

Decorating By imartsy Updated 6 May 2009 , 10:55pm by imartsy

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 6 May 2009 , 10:38pm
post #1 of 4

I'm looking into the state fair again and there are times when I'd love to do a carved cake......like I know I could do something really cool if I could start out with the lamb pan and add to it - I know how to do it in real cake - but not with styrofoam / non-edible materials. Non-edible materials are preferred - the cakes sit under hot lights for two weeks during the fair.....

Does anyone know how to do this? There's got to be some way it's done - I can't imagine that the cakes I see for competitions are always real cake......but maybe I'm wrong.

3 replies
Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 6 May 2009 , 10:45pm
post #2 of 4

Actually I've seen guidlines from cake competitions and I did encounter that carved cakes SHOULD be made from actual cakes and NOT dummies/styrofoam. I think that makes sense because you can do tons of things with styrofoam that are so not possible with real cakes. People correct me if I am wrong.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 6 May 2009 , 10:55pm
post #3 of 4

here is a link. from OSSAS.

http://www.oklahomasugarartists.com/PDF%20Docs/OSSAS1RR2009ltrF/OSSAS1RR2009ltrF.pdf

Oh and it says, "3-D sculptures may only use Styrofoam where absolutely necessary". I'm not sure what they mean by that.

Well it doesn't really matter because there's different rules on every competition.

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 6 May 2009 , 10:55pm
post #4 of 4

Well there's no "Carved cake" category. We have birthday, "horse" theme, and bridal cake.

And I've just discovered one of the things we're judged on is "practicality" - now what in the heck is that supposed to mean?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%