Looking For More Options, Using Wilton Buttercream Recipe

Baking By trishbakingcakes Updated 6 May 2009 , 11:47pm by nonnyscakes

trishbakingcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trishbakingcakes Posted 6 May 2009 , 10:09pm
post #1 of 3

HI Ladies, I am new to the group as of today.. hoping I am posting in the right area. I have been taking Wilton classes and have been using the Wilton Buttercream Recipe as prescribed in our classes. I am hoping to find other recipes that are equally or better to decorate with that taste better. I am not a huge fan of shortening.... the recipe we are using is all shortening..... which leaves a oily taste in the mouth. Is there something better? I attempted another Wilton recipe which noted its ability to decorate, but quickly went flat.... I think it was a boiled recipe.

Would love any thoughts on what you find is a winner!

Thanks!

Trish
[email protected]

2 replies
Michellers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michellers Posted 6 May 2009 , 11:37pm
post #2 of 3

Hi and welcome to CC! I love the buttercream dream you can find in the recipe section here. It's half butter half shortening, and I've made it 75 (butter)/25 (shortening) before. It's really delicious. Only thing is I haven't made roses or anything with it, so I can't tell ya if it would be good for that. But it is a crusting buttercream and it's delicious.

nonnyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nonnyscakes Posted 6 May 2009 , 11:47pm
post #3 of 3

Welcome to Cake Central!

There are a lot of folks on here who like Sugarshack's recipe for buttercream. You can find it in the recipe section.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe_query-contributerbrowse-sugarshack.html

I have never tried it, so I can't say. I like the Wilton recipe because of the consistency and reliability. I have a hard time working with frosting that has a lot of butter in it because my hands are hot so the frosting melts and doesn't work well for flowers, borders, etc.

Good luck and if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%