Tiny, Bitter, Brown Specks In Cake

Decorating By bellabiaggio Updated 11 May 2009 , 2:32am by soygurl

bellabiaggio Posted 6 May 2009 , 8:51pm
post #1 of 7

I just made the vanilla cake from Mermaid Bakery. This has happened to me before, but I am not sure why. There are tiny brown specks on the bottom and sides of the cake. At first, I thought that they were burnt sugar granules, but then I picked one out with the tip of a knife and tasted it, to be sure. I was surprised at how bitter it was. Then I thought that it was baking powder? I think that I have removed them all, there weren't many, but enough for me to question it.

Has this happend to anyone else? I usually spray with Bakers Joy or Pam. Today, I made two cakes, used both kinds on separate pans and it happened on both.

Thanks so much for any help icon_smile.gif

6 replies
bakingpw Posted 7 May 2009 , 12:54am
post #2 of 7

Sounds like it must be the baking powder. Are you sifting your Baking Powder with flour?

topaz176 Posted 7 May 2009 , 1:02am
post #3 of 7

I agree, it happened to me when I did not sift the baking powder.
It also depends on the brand.
The cheaper ones has lumps.

bellabiaggio Posted 7 May 2009 , 11:42am
post #4 of 7

Thanks for getting back to me. Yes, I sifted the baking powder with the flour and salt. I used a newer container of Calumet brand. Hmmmm.

artscallion Posted 7 May 2009 , 11:59am
post #5 of 7

There's nothing in the recipe that's not in most other recipes that would cause this if you're sure it's not the baking soda, which does have a strong bitter taste on its own. Are you adding any flavorings?

I hate to suggest this, especially since you've eaten one. But could the bag of flour you're using have come to you with flour bugs in it? here's a link to info on them

don't click here if you're squeamish

bellabiaggio Posted 7 May 2009 , 12:49pm
post #6 of 7

Yikes! That's disturbing. I only used pure vanilla, so no odd flavors added in. Thanks for the alternative idea, I really hope that is not it. They don't appear to be bug-like, more like brown/black non-pareils. No appendages, at least. Thanks again!

soygurl Posted 11 May 2009 , 2:32am
post #7 of 7

do your pans have any spots of rust on them? Or just little spots of discoloration? I have some older steel pans like that, and have noticed spots on the cakes from the spots on the pans... icon_confused.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%