Sugarveil Tiara... Will This Work?

Decorating By Tashablueyes Updated 7 May 2009 , 3:57am by Tashablueyes

Tashablueyes Posted 6 May 2009 , 8:35pm
post #1 of 3

I am making a last minute princess cake for a friend, it's finals week so I'm squeezing it in with school already and I'm not very confident that I can get a RI tiara to work for me the first time without breaking, and there's no way I have time to do it over and over again. I just got my first package of Sugarveil and I'm dying to try it. Would this be a good application for it? I'm thinking I'll pipe it onto parchment paper and then once it's started to set just a bit I'll stand it upright and curve the parchment paper into a cylinder and tape the ends together... theoretically a good plan, right?
Also, can I airbrush shimmers onto dried Sugarveil, or will it break it down or soften it too much?
Thanks in advance all you awesome cake divas!

2 replies
CakeMommy3 Posted 6 May 2009 , 11:29pm
post #2 of 3

I have never personally used the sugarveil, but from what I've seen of it on tv shows I don't think it will stand up. It looks really stretchy and pliable, not really firm. I could be wrong though. What about making the tiara from gumpaste? It would dry really fast, and you could make two pretty easily, then dust it with shimmers. I guess it would be more of a crown though, not a tiara...HTH.

Tashablueyes Posted 7 May 2009 , 3:57am
post #3 of 3

cakemommy, she really wants it to be delicate looking so I don't think I can make it that gracefull with gum paste. I think I'm going to go ahead and try the SV and if it doesn't set hard I'll just crank out a RI and hope that it works. If not, there's always a plastic one from the dollar store, right?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%