Ferrets Anyone??

Lounge By Auryn Updated 11 May 2009 , 9:39pm by Auryn

Auryn Posted 6 May 2009 , 7:05pm
post #1 of 5

I was wondering if anyone here has a ferret.

I am in the scouting stages of getting a pet.
I've been looking for dogs for months but none really have been a good match.

The idea of a ferret has been brought up. I've done a ton of online research. I was hoping to pick the brain of anyone here that has experience with them.

Here is the situation.
I live alone in a 1100 sqft 2 bd apt with a balcony.
I work in the family business so I could totally take my pet to work with me (is it ok to bring a ferret to the office if it stays on a leash?? too dangerous to let him run loose around here).
Almost every weekend either my boyfriend is at my place or I am at his. He loves pets so I could take the dog/ferret to his place.
Ferrets are legal in Florida and esp the 3 counties I go back and forth in.

any personal tips would be greatly appreciated to help me solve my
dog vs ferret dilemma

4 replies
Michellers Posted 6 May 2009 , 11:42pm
post #2 of 5

My husband had a ferret when we first started dating. He LOVES the little buggers. Ok, from an outsider perspective..they're cute, they're fun to play with, but they STINK. If you do get a ferret, either have the scent glands removed or there's shampoos that are supposed to reduce the stench. When I'd stay over at his house I remember waking up to a ferret playing with my feet under the blankets. They're very playful.

Butterfly27 Posted 7 May 2009 , 4:45am
post #3 of 5

I had a ferret from the time he was born til he was 5 and half years old. I had to put him to sleep cuz he had what is called insulinoma which is a type of cancer. Ferrets only have a life span of 5-8 years. If they live to be 8 they are considered ancient. They require at least half of your day worth of attention and they need at least 6 hours of exercise a day (running around playing outside of the cage). If they don't get the attention that they need then they get depressed very fast and stop eating, losing hair ect.... ect.... Yes they do have a smell but you can get them decented. They are very expensive to take care of as well but worth every penny. They are thieves. They like to steel stuff like anything rubber or plastic. They will hide everything in their own private spot of their choosing and you might not find it for years. My ferret stole stuff that I didn't find until I was packing to move and had to move the furniture and some of the things had been missing for 3 years LOL. Other than all of that they are so much fun and I can't wait to get another one. They are definately characters and they do attend to have attitudes sometimes as well but if you can handle all the things I told you about then go for it cuz they are worth it.

-Tubbs Posted 7 May 2009 , 4:00pm
post #4 of 5

My only experience of ferrets was from when I was a teenager and had a weekend job cleaning cages for an 'animal guy' (he used to take his exotic animals into schools for learning sessions) (the kids learned, not the animals icon_lol.gif ) Anyway, I had a special sweater I'd wear, and it was referred to by everyone as my 'ferret sweater' because it was so stinky. Man, those things are whiffy. I have to say that would really put me off, even if they are quite cute.

If you really want advice - get a dog and teach it to pee on pads in a special spot, then you won't be constantly up and down the elevator. A dog is so easy to transport and will always LOVE being with you.

Good luck, whatever you decide!

Auryn Posted 11 May 2009 , 9:39pm
post #5 of 5

thanks guys
i found a local ferret rescue that gives classes to people wanting to adopt one.
I plan on taking the class in the next month or so to really see how bad these little boogers smell.

Ill let you know if I come home with anyone

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%