Transporting A Large Amount Of Cupcakes!

Decorating By Meagazz Updated 7 Jan 2011 , 2:10pm by leily

Meagazz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Meagazz Posted 6 May 2009 , 7:01pm
post #1 of 10

Hi everyone!

I was just wondering what methods you use for transporting a large quantity of cupcakes. I am doing cupcakes for my friends wedding and she is wanting 150 of them! No biggie... except I have no idea how to get them there! I figured packaging them all into cupcake containers (bakery style) would be a huge waste of time and materials!

What do you use to transport them accident free?

TIA!!

Meagazz

9 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 6 May 2009 , 8:33pm
post #2 of 10

Usually I just use a tray that held waters or beer 6pks, but last time the cupcakes had to go on a 3 hour drive, so I wanted to make sure they wouldn't tip over on the way. I bought a large moving box at Home Depot ($1.29) and cut it down into 2 shallow trays, then cut strips out of the leftover middle portion of the box and taped them in to make dividers. Here's a picture of one full tray. It held 34 cupcakes but I probably could have squeezed in another 2.
LL

doreenre Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doreenre Posted 6 May 2009 , 8:42pm
post #3 of 10

Check your local cake supply store or even your local grocery store bakery for sheet cake boxes. Those work really well and aren't very expensive.

Good luck!

jimandmollie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jimandmollie Posted 6 May 2009 , 8:50pm
post #4 of 10

I use the sheet cake boxes you can buy at Walmart for around $2. Just make sure your icing isn't all the way to the edge of the cupcake or they will get messed up when they touch each other in the box. Hope that helps! icon_smile.gif

Jennifer1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennifer1970 Posted 7 May 2009 , 2:31am
post #5 of 10

I bought full sheet sized cake boxes. They are heavy duty cardboard, and could be stacked on the back seat of my car. I can't remember how many cupcakes they held, but think it was over 60 in each.

Meagazz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Meagazz Posted 7 May 2009 , 10:25pm
post #6 of 10

Oooh! Those are all great ideas! I guess I was somehow thinking that my cupcakes would fall over on me if I put them in a box, but I guess if you pack them carefully, and close enough together, they don't tip over!

Thanks everyone!

karaheather Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karaheather Posted 8 May 2009 , 3:29pm
post #7 of 10

Ask your local supermarket if you can use the boxes that they put the fruit in when they are finished with them. That is what I did!!

cloetzu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cloetzu Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 1:33pm
post #8 of 10

great ideas for cupcake boxes! thanks for sharing!

adamsgama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adamsgama Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 2:04pm
post #9 of 10

I invested in 2 under-the bed storage totes (Walmart) Each one holds around 75 cupcakes, depending on the size. This way I always have them. I take them to a wedding, do my set-up and bring them home.
I also do not do my icing right to the edge so they pack nice and neat. I like the idea that people can see the flavor of the cupcake underneath.

Adamsgama

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 2:10pm
post #10 of 10

www.brpboxshop.com sells they're cupcake holders and boxes in sets of 10 now. I love their boxes.

Otherwise if you already have boxes www.kitchenkrafts.com sells plastic inserts.

Also, if you use a rubber maid container you can use foil that is formed over the bottom of your cupcake pan, turn it right side up so that you have "holders" for your cupcakes and place it into a rubbermaid container or cake box for easy transport, and you dont' have to worry about the icing touching eachother on the cupcakes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%