Kitchenaid Buyer's Remorse?

Decorating By SweetHobby Updated 7 May 2009 , 8:00pm by gimmeabreak

SweetHobby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetHobby Posted 6 May 2009 , 6:32pm
post #1 of 39

I got a refurbished Kitchenaid Pro 6 quart mixer that arrived yesterday. I haven't taken it out of the box yet. Today I was checking the web for ideas to make things with it, etc...and found a consumer website with dozens of complaints, many very recent, about KA mixers. Now I am afraid to keep this mixer. I have 30 days to return it right now, and a 6 month warranty. I got the mixer mostly to make cakes and frostings and cookies, but will use it for bread dough too sometimes.

With all of the KA mixers owned here, has anyone had the problems with oil leaking into the food, or with the mixers running at crazy speeds like people talk about here? I'm undecided about what to do. I don't have good luck with "big ticket" purchases anyhow, they always break. icon_rolleyes.gif

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/homeowners/kitchenaid_mixers.html

38 replies
cambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cambo Posted 6 May 2009 , 6:40pm
post #2 of 39

Hi Lisa! I know what you mean about big-ticket items! I've had my share of bad luck with them, however, I must vouch for KA's! I received my first 6 qt "refurbed" KA nearly 13 years ago and it still runs like a top! I've never had any problems with it....ZERO! I think you should use it as much as possible within your 30 day return period....really give it a good workout! If you're not FULLY satisfied, then you can always return it....but mine is still running like I got it yesterday!

Good luck in whatever you decide to do!
Cammie

wendellee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendellee Posted 6 May 2009 , 6:40pm
post #3 of 39

I love my KA mixer. I would not trade it in for the world. I am not sure of the model that I have... but love to make cakes and cookies and some frostings..., all home made. I have had only one porblem with mine and KA sent me a new one before even getting mine back.

Hope this helps. You know what Call KA too and see if they have an even longer warrenty on it.

W.l

Butterpatty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Butterpatty Posted 6 May 2009 , 6:41pm
post #4 of 39

Well, I am only a hobby baker person icon_biggrin.gif , but I have the 4.5 qt KitchenAid and I have to say that I love it. I have had no problems at all and it works great each time I turn it on.

Nyree Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nyree Posted 6 May 2009 , 6:52pm
post #5 of 39

I own two KA's and would never trade them for anything in the world. Those post maybe from people just don't like the handling of the KA and feel by giving it a bad review is best. I agree with wendellee use it first and make your decision based on your own experience, but trust me once you try it you will never go back.

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 6 May 2009 , 6:53pm
post #6 of 39

I have the 5quart lift bowl. The first one i had for at least 10years maybe longer. It went heywire one day. I called KA and told them what it was doing. They sent me a refurbished one. Now mind you i only called to see if someone local was listed as a repairman, I just had to send my old one back in the box the new one came in. I haven't had any problems with the refurbished one.

When the first one went i was in tears and my DH said not to worry, he would go buy me a new one. Just figure out where we could get the best price. We were heading out the door to replace the old one when he says give them a call and see what happens.

e rose sweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
e rose sweets Posted 6 May 2009 , 6:58pm
post #7 of 39

I bought a refurbished KA a year ago and for the past few months I have been having problems with the mixing tool hitting the bottom of the bowl causing my batter and icing to have a silverish color in the bottom, I have tried to adjust the bowl but regardless how I adjust it I still have that discoloration in the batter. (and of course my warranty has ran out) I read somewhere on this site that I could call KA and they can walk me through to adjust correctly, I plan on making that call this evening. I think its a gamble as most things in life and if you're lucky the deal is good and if not as lucky you may experience problems, it could be the same way with a brand new KA. To all good luck

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 6 May 2009 , 7:05pm
post #8 of 39

Before I recently got the 6 qt from my DH for Christmas, I was using my mom's (she had died so I got hers). She had it for 15 years then I had it for another 15 years without a problem. Only recently (after 30 years of hard use) did it start to drip oil, hence the new one for Christmas.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 6 May 2009 , 7:07pm
post #9 of 39

I've had my KA pro 600 for about 4 years and I love it. I haven't had any problems with it. Prior to this one I had an Artisan for 10-15 years and never had a problem with it. Ultimately it has to be up to keep it or not. No one can guarantee you wont have problems, they can only share their experience.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 6 May 2009 , 7:38pm
post #10 of 39

Oh...so sorry to hijack, but I gotta ask....do places like Walmart or Target sell replacement whisks for KA's?? I just banged mine up the other day and haven't checked around locally...didn't think they would have them in the first place.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 6 May 2009 , 7:48pm
post #11 of 39

I've had a problem with mines. Are you talking about the black looking stuff where the attachments go?

Debluvs2bake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debluvs2bake Posted 6 May 2009 , 7:57pm
post #12 of 39

I have two, one I got for Mom's day two years ago, from the pro-series. The other is circa 1980 my aunt gave me and works great. It's had the motor replaced once, but whips up a great butter cream! My sister has my Mom's that she bought in 1984 and the only prob ever with this one is the plate that the bowl screws into stripped and needed replaced.

I will never buy anything other than KA.

pouchet82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pouchet82 Posted 6 May 2009 , 7:58pm
post #13 of 39

When I first got mine I opened the box and it was covered in black oil. I thought I was going to cry. Brought it back to the store and they gave me a new one. I love it! Use it all the time.

BabeyCakey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BabeyCakey Posted 6 May 2009 , 8:04pm
post #14 of 39

I LOVE LOVE LOVE mine...it truly has made a big difference in my baking. I also make bread dough in it with no problems at all. My only regret - is purchasing and using the pasta maker attachment. While making a batch of pasta, it overheated my mixer...after reading the reviews, there were tons of people who had experienced the same.

sweetjan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjan Posted 6 May 2009 , 8:05pm
post #15 of 39

love mine, wouldn't trade it for anything

Stephi1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stephi1 Posted 6 May 2009 , 8:12pm
post #16 of 39

I wouldn't know what to do without mine! He has his own special place on the counter! Yes I said "him" and he does have a name - Mr. Wiggles. Good Lord, I need to get a life.

DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 6 May 2009 , 8:12pm
post #17 of 39

I've had my KA for about 5 years. At first i could see oil coming from where the attachments go, not enough to drip, but i made sure i cleaned that off before i started mixing anything. now that my mixer is "broken in" i have not had that problem in quite a while. it still runs great and i use it at least once a week. you can't beat it, even for the price. i was buying a new handheld mixer 1-2 times a year and they always broke at the worst possible times.

thefrostedcakencookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thefrostedcakencookie Posted 6 May 2009 , 8:59pm
post #18 of 39

i don't have a big one just a 4.5 qt (i'd LOVE to have the 6qt) but i couldn't live without it! i've had it for 10 years and never had a problem with it and i use it A LOT! i think that like with most appliances, someones bound to get a lemon at some point, and your more likely to get upset and write a bad review if you've had a bad experience than if you have a good one. try it out and see how you like it. you've got the 30 days to make up your mind.

__Jamie__ - i'm not sure where you live but i know the kohls where i live sells the attatchements and bowls and things like that. i've never seen them at my local walmart or target though.

Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 6 May 2009 , 10:41pm
post #19 of 39

I have the KA 5qt. I like it, but I have had some problems with it.

I have carpal tunnel really bad, so mixing with a hand mixer was getting painful, so I invested in the KA 5qt a couple of years ago. Shortly after the 6 month warranty was up, I was mixing egg whites on high speed one day and the thing backfired!!

Sparks came out the back end and it stopped working. I unplugged it so it would start anything on fire and let it sit for several minutes. When I plugged it back in and turned it on, it still worked, but it will not go above a 6 speed. You can push it all the way to 10, but it still goes the same speed as it does on 6.

I contacted KA and they told me that since the 6 month warranty was up there wasnt anything they could do for me, but they could send me a coupon for a new KA stand mixer. icon_rolleyes.gif I contacted the store I bought it from but they said to contact KA. So i was essientially stuck with this mixer. I still have it, I still use it all the time, but for all the money that I spent for this thing I wish it would have been made a little better, since I heard nothing but good things about them.

Moral of the story: The old gray mare just aint what she used to be. And that can be said for a lot of products these days.

tamarawagner99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tamarawagner99 Posted 6 May 2009 , 10:48pm
post #20 of 39

I've never heard a negative comment made about a KA mixer. And that's between reading lots of reviews before buying mine a few years back, and talking with my MIL and Grandma who've both had theirs for more than thirty years. They wouldn't trade them for the world. I've never had any problem with mine. I love to use it and love to display it!
_Jaimie_, in addition to Kohl's I know they sell replacement parts and attachments at Bed Bath & Beyond. You can also order them through their website.

adonisthegreek1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adonisthegreek1 Posted 6 May 2009 , 10:54pm
post #21 of 39

The one and only product I have ever bought refurbished is my KitchenAid and I am totally satisfied. It was a great value for the price and I have never had one problem.

blondeez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blondeez Posted 6 May 2009 , 10:54pm
post #22 of 39

I have had my KA for 5 yrs. 2yrs of that was it being still packaged in its original box. I use it all the time and have had no troubles. Hope you have the same success with yours as the rest of us have had with ours.

mayamia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mayamia Posted 6 May 2009 , 10:57pm
post #23 of 39

Ive had mine for about 3 years and i love it i too was not too sure about keeping but since my hubby bought it for mothers day i felt bad returning it, good thing i didnt.

CookieD-oh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieD-oh Posted 7 May 2009 , 1:14am
post #24 of 39

I bought my kitchenaid Artisan mixer (refurbished) about 2 years ago. (After burning up the motors in 4 hand mixers, I decided it would be cheaper to invest in a good stand mixer...I make a lot of cookies at Christmastime...) Went down to Greenville Ohio during the Annie Oakley Days festival and visited the showroom. (Got lots of freebies, too...It was early July if I'm remembering correctly.) I had a little trouble with the tilt-back head refusing to lock (had to lean on it to keep the beater in the bowl when making a heavy dough), but once I told my hubby about it, he fixed it in about 30 seconds. Just needed a slight adjustment. Other than that, my only regret is not getting the bigger one. icon_cry.gif (Did I mention I make a lot of cookies at Christmastime?)

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 7 May 2009 , 1:20am
post #25 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by cambo

I received my first 6 qt "refurbed" KA nearly 13 years ago...

I thought the 6 quart KitchenAids came out like 5 years ago. Image

rmelendrez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rmelendrez Posted 7 May 2009 , 1:20am
post #26 of 39

Mine is the Pro 6 quart which I've had now for about 6 years without any problems...I love it love it love it and could not live without!

Waiting for the day when my kitchen is big enough for 2 KA's!!!

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 7 May 2009 , 1:29am
post #27 of 39

Anytime you read reviews about any product from a mixer to a DVD remember this. People who have had problems are more likely to review it and we tend to read more into the bad reviews than the good ones. Almost every product will have a few bad reviews and a few lemons but I've heard nothing but good things about KA mixers.

They take a lot of wear and tear believe me. I've had mine about 15 years now and it is still running great. My KA has seen hundreds of cake mixes and batches of buttercream, no oil leaks, no service. It did have a burned oil smell the first few months when it would get warm but that must be because they oil the motor well or something.

I do have a small issue with it and wanted to know if anyone else has seen this. My switch that turns the mixer on and off doesn't want to stay in the off or low position. It wants to shoot up to 2 or 3 speed. Sounds strange I know, but it is like a spring is in the wrong place or something. I've been living with the switch like this for years and know it is dangerous because it can slip out of the off position very easily so I unplug it as soon as I raise the beater. Just curious if anyone else had this problem and what you had to do to fix it.

destinyrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
destinyrn Posted 7 May 2009 , 1:35am
post #28 of 39

Initially, I bought a mixmaster, it does not hold a candle stick to my KA pro 600. Good luck with your decision.

julzs71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julzs71 Posted 7 May 2009 , 5:00am
post #29 of 39

I have had two. The first one the gear just popped out. The second one, which I still have, will sometimes just not turn on. It's past the KA warranty, but I got it from Costco. They take everything back.

bakermommy4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakermommy4 Posted 7 May 2009 , 5:13am
post #30 of 39

right now i use a 7 qt cuisinart, havent had any problems. I want to buy a kitchenaid though, less expensive and i just want two mixers...my weakness is kitchen gadgets and shoes...oh and purses.

I've heard nothing but great things about KA and will be begging for one for mothers day...that and a printer to make edible sheets on oh and an airbrush machine...ok, I'm done icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%