Has Anyone Else Had This Request- Sysco Cake??? Huh?

Decorating By kerri729 Updated 3 Jun 2009 , 2:59am by blondeez

kerri729 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kerri729 Posted 6 May 2009 , 5:23pm
post #1 of 13

Hello all you CC'rs! I have not visited very much lately, however, this one deserves to be shared. I have a friend of my sister who is getting remarried this summer. She emailed me several months ago, asking how much I would charge to do her wedding cake, I gave her a rough idea of what I would charge, and told her it could go up depending on the specifics. I don't do this for a living, it's a hobby, so my prices are equivalent or less than our local bakery in town. I didn't hear back, assumed she went somewhere else, no big deal to me, I am busy enough, so cake or no cake, I am sure I will be busy that weekend. This morning, she emails me and asks what a two tiered cake like the 50th bday party cake in my pics would cost- they ordered cakes from Sysco for eating, and want this one for "show and cutting". icon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gif Umm, my first instinct is to run far away from this one! What the ???

12 replies
terrig007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrig007 Posted 6 May 2009 , 5:27pm
post #2 of 13

Run Forrest Run. I don't know what a Sysco cake is but do know they supply some folks here on CC with supplies.

atschnet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
atschnet Posted 6 May 2009 , 5:28pm
post #3 of 13

a sysco cake?????? why would they order a sysco cake? I mean they come in frozen???? I dont know, I know alot of people do have just regular sheet cakes for eating at the wedding and a fancy one just for show but......i dont know!!!!!!

you cant make a dummy show cake if they want to cut it....

Stephi1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stephi1 Posted 6 May 2009 , 5:29pm
post #4 of 13

Isn't Sysco a restaurant supply co.? Yuck. I would tell her you are busy. You don't want anyone to think you make the "eating cakes"!

JustABite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustABite Posted 6 May 2009 , 5:37pm
post #5 of 13

Do you think they mean Cosco cake? Stick to you guns! They sound kind of goofy to me. JMO.

cakes22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes22 Posted 6 May 2009 , 6:14pm
post #6 of 13

keep running!

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 6 May 2009 , 6:55pm
post #7 of 13

Don't do it... people will assume that they are being served the cake that is being cut, and when they ask who made the cake, your name will be given. Therefore, your name will be tired to the mass-produced, frozen sheetcakes being served, and it could hurt your rep. Even if you are only a hobbyist, you may want to turn this into more someday, and you don't want to start with a bad rep!

kerri729 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kerri729 Posted 6 May 2009 , 7:00pm
post #8 of 13

Whew, thanks! I will then, go with my gut! And I think you are right PinkZiab, IF I would ever do this for a living, I would not want people to get the wrong impression! Running....................... icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 6 May 2009 , 7:06pm
post #9 of 13

Well, if they are buying the nice sheet cakes that now come frozen (and yes they are nice, three layers of cake, two of filling, whipped cream on top) They really aren't bad at all. Yes they are frozen, but as long as they are freshly thawed they are quite good. I have seen them white cake with strawberry filling, orange, or lemon. Last time i was in the local restaurant supply store (not sysco) they were selling these sheets for $40 with a wedding serving of something like 96. No way i could even buy the ingredients to make these cakes for that. And really if they are handled right they taste very nice.

PiePie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PiePie Posted 7 May 2009 , 12:08pm
post #10 of 13

My oven is not large enough for a regular 16x24 inch sheet cake so when someone asks for one I buy mine from a Rich's bakery dealer. They do come frozen but the flavor is one that I have tried to replicate in my other cakes (with no luck). I have gotten so many compliments on the flavor. Maybe try a Rich's cake if you can find one. If anyone does ask me I do tell them that my oven is not big enough and the cake is made elsewhere but the decorating is my own.

msmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msmeg Posted 7 May 2009 , 3:49pm
post #11 of 13

I have had their death by Chocolate and it is wonderful

most of the restaraunts around here serve them and people love them

steph_78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steph_78 Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 2:54am
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephi1

Isn't Sysco a restaurant supply co.? Yuck. I would tell her you are busy. You don't want anyone to think you make the "eating cakes"!

My husband works for Sysco. They are a restaurant/health care supplier.

blondeez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blondeez Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 2:59am
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrig007

Run Forrest Run. I don't know what a Sysco cake is but do know they supply some folks here on CC with supplies.

ROFLOL thats so what I was thinking!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%