How Do I Get A Double Color Swirl In Buttercream?

Decorating By lvspaisley Updated 6 May 2009 , 6:34pm by lvspaisley

lvspaisley Posted 6 May 2009 , 4:51pm
post #1 of 7

I'd like to try something different today. How do I get a swirl on top of a cupcake in 2 colors? Do I fill one side of the bag with white and the other side of the bag with lilac and will I be cursing while I am trying to achieve it?! LOL

icon_smile.gif

6 replies
j-pal Posted 6 May 2009 , 4:56pm
post #2 of 7

There are a few ways... The way you mentioned will work. You could also "paint" a stripe of paste color up 1 or more sides of your icing bag, put in a solid color icing and when it comes out it will be "striped". You can airbrush for a 2-tone, or use a spray can if you don't have an airbrush. It depends on the look you're going for. The problem comes in if you have a lot of cupcakes to do and you want them to look the same... It's hard to refill the bags when striping them - you usually have to fill several bags. HTH

sari66 Posted 6 May 2009 , 4:58pm
post #3 of 7

Yes and yes!!! LOL really that's what I do.

nonnyscakes Posted 6 May 2009 , 4:58pm
post #4 of 7

No... not cursing. This is fun!

I use the disposable Wilton bags, but you could do this with parchment as well.

Take bag #1 and insert or attach the tip you want to use for your swirls.
Take bag #2, put in a small amount of colored frosting #1. Clip the tip to create a SMALL hole.
Take bag #3, put in a small amount of colored frosting #2. Clip the tip to create a SMALL hole.

Insert bags #2 and #3 into bag #1. Squeeze a bit out until the colors blend properly.

Here is what they look like.... http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1317491

*** Edited to say, some of the cuppies in the pic are swirled and some are just plain.

Hope this helps you!

tiggy2 Posted 6 May 2009 , 5:06pm
post #5 of 7

I use icing plugs. Put 1 color icing in plastic wrap and roll up (leaving bottom open) and do the same with color @2. Place both plugs in the pastry bag and squeeze until the colors blend. Similar to what lees_luv does.

Kimmers971 Posted 6 May 2009 , 5:18pm
post #6 of 7

Kitchen Krafts actually sells bags just for this technique.
http://www.kitchenkrafts.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_CD0465

Have Fun!

lvspaisley Posted 6 May 2009 , 6:34pm
post #7 of 7

You guys totally ROCK, as usual!!

I am going to be brave and try it icon_wink.gif Cover your ears!!! LOL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%