All B/c Of The Swine Flu.. *how Do I Indiviually Wrap??*

Baking By mrsbriggs06 Updated 19 May 2009 , 6:37pm by Kayakado

mrsbriggs06 Posted 6 May 2009 , 4:43pm
post #1 of 12

ok-- got a note from dd's school about needing baked items for post-talent show refreshments. I got all excited and dd & I decided i'd make a ton of mini cuppies in 4 flavors. (maybe overboard, but her school is very polit. correct, so i don't usually get to send in items for holiday parties--as there are none-- so we wanted to go big)

it's less than a week until the cuppies are 'due' & she came home yesterday saying everything had to be individually wrapped! icon_eek.gif so.. i already know that the table will be full of little debbies and probably a few brownies/ice krispie treats wrapped in cling wrap.. all the more reason to try to send something unique...

i have NO clue how i'd 'wrap' ..oh, let's say.. 120 mini cuppies without messing up the 'perfect swirl' we all try to get!

do i have to bite the bullet & do regular cuppies? ideas on how to wrap those?

of course i do not have time to order anything online.. and 60-120 boxes is just *not* practical...

i called the school to doublecheck that i did have to wrap them, & she said 'yep-- we don't want kids reaching in & fingering things' icon_biggrin.gif howsabout a sign that says 'children must be accompanied by an adult' icon_rolleyes.gif

11 replies
cata29 Posted 6 May 2009 , 4:49pm
post #2 of 12

how about adding a piece of cardboard in bags and sitting the cupcakes on top of cardboard and then tying the top of bag with a pice of string
hope this idea helps icon_smile.gif

kimbers Posted 6 May 2009 , 4:50pm
post #3 of 12

what if you let the frosting harden a little and then wrap each one in a cookie or favor bag and tie with a bow. or get the little candy boxes from michaels or hobby lobby and cut off the top and put the cuppie in the box and then wrap in the bag. Just an idea

tiggy2 Posted 6 May 2009 , 4:50pm
post #4 of 12

Even if you had a sign kids wouldn't pay any attention to it. If the rule is they have to be individually wrapped then that's what has to be done. I'd rather forgo the swirl on top then have my kid get sick with the swine flu. What about doing decorated cookies instead and placing each one in a sandwich bag.

nonnyscakes Posted 6 May 2009 , 4:52pm
post #5 of 12

You could go to your local stores that sell bakery items and ask them if they would "donate" some containers to you for a school project. You get the packaging you need for your cupcakes and they get a tax write off. It could be worth a shot.

mrsbriggs06 Posted 6 May 2009 , 4:59pm
post #6 of 12

icon_surprised.gif) thanks for the ideas!

& btw: the school doesn't have any cases of the pig flu ;o) , but i respect that they're taking precautions!

oh my.. i just had an ephiphiny (which i can't spell, but neither can my spell check)

i'll have to do some measuring.. but i wonder if i can find big condiment cups @ sam's club or costco.. if i can put a mini in each one of those!!!???

off to check! *but if not, i'll probably do the treat bag thing. i was also thinking about cutting squares of cello wrap or something *yes, food safe, so i'd have to figure that out..* and wrapping/tying each one..

3GCakes Posted 6 May 2009 , 4:59pm
post #7 of 12

Maybe make them more like the ones in the Starbucks cups, bake halfway, swirl the icing to almost top, and put lids on them?

Wouldn't even have to use Starbucks cups, maybe the bulk ones you find at Sam's?

Or....make regular cuppies and put them in a cup with a lid?

mrsbriggs06 Posted 7 May 2009 , 3:25am
post #9 of 12

alrighty--
looks like the sams club cups (condiment ones) aren't big enough and are $$ considering i only need 120ish out of 2000. (plus you have to buy the lids separately)

i thought i had found the answer in 5.5oz souffle cups from a restaurant supply store online that sold by the pack (of 175) b/c the cost shown for 2nd day air shipping was cheaper than ground. i got my hopes up & when i went to check out, the 2nd day air option was gone, so i wouldn't have gotten them in time.

i headed out to michael's tonight for some colors & other supplies and found 100 lollipop bags for $3.99. they look to be the perfect size to use for the mini's and i'm hoping by beefing up my icing a bit & making sure i have a good crust before bagging, they will survive. thanks for the pics chester! ;o)

i'll post pics next week!

SweetSweetCreations Posted 7 May 2009 , 6:16am
post #10 of 12

I was thinking a piece of cardboard and a bag maybe stapled or tied with ribbon.

Our school has been out for a week because of possible case.

fsinger84 Posted 10 May 2009 , 7:42am
post #11 of 12

this is probably to late but they have these cute little baby shower favor boxes at Dollar Tree they are pastel colors but are the perfect size for mini cupcakes. there are 8 boxes a pack and a pack is $1.

Kayakado Posted 19 May 2009 , 6:37pm
post #12 of 12

W if you brought them in a covered container and just served them one-at-a-time on a napkin using tongs and gloves. That would keep somebody's kid from touching them all. I wouldn't see a need for individual wrappers if this was they way they were served by a server.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%