How To Make Wood Look Panels???

Decorating By tiggerjo Updated 7 May 2009 , 11:01am by Price

tiggerjo Posted 6 May 2009 , 1:45pm
post #1 of 8

I would like to attempt making the wooden barrel bath tubs. I can't seem to find an impression or mold to achieve the wooden look. Any suggestions? Now that was a silly question cuz everyone on here is more than helpful and full of great ideas. Thanks in advance.

7 replies
Madiken Posted 6 May 2009 , 2:21pm
post #2 of 8

I am curious about this too!

KristyCakes Posted 6 May 2009 , 2:53pm
post #3 of 8

I just use a butter knife. I don't press too hard into the fondant, just enough to leave the wood grain look. Deeper for the panel separators, and lighter for the random line pattern in-between.

tiggerjo Posted 6 May 2009 , 2:55pm
post #4 of 8

thanks, that was my idea but it just seemed too easy. I am going to give it a whirl.

crystalina1977 Posted 6 May 2009 , 4:08pm
post #5 of 8

i have used a toothpick to "scratch" the fondant to make the wood grain, in addition to not completely mixing in brown food coloring so that the color is a little marble-ized. I have made a couple of "wooden" sign posts and a wooden tub cake (in my photos) where I have used a combination of these things.

Bellatheball Posted 6 May 2009 , 6:23pm
post #6 of 8

I have one in my pics. It's a shoe and shoebox sitting on a hardwood floor. For the wood, I mixed 1/2 white fondant with 1/2 ivory and a little bit of copper. I put them next to each other and made a "wringing" motion (like you are trying to wring out a towel). Don't overmix because you want to be able to see the different colors. Roll it out and then lightly paint over it with a mix of clear vanilla (or vodka) and brown food coloring. The brush strokes will give the appearance of wood grain. HTH

tiggerjo Posted 7 May 2009 , 10:47am
post #7 of 8

thanks, another question...I have not yet figured out how to view a certain member's pic's only. Is there a trick????

Price Posted 7 May 2009 , 11:01am
post #8 of 8

You can view a member's pics by clicking on the little button at the bottom of their response that says photos. You can also find them in the members list

I do pretty much the same thing to do wood grain. I use a the small end of a veining tool and just lightly pull it through the fondant in random patterns to resemble woodgrain. I then let the fondant dry and then paint it with gel color mixed with everclear. I have made an outhouse, dog house and hardwood floor using this method.

Quote by @%username% on %date%