Fondant Figurine Question

Decorating By RetiredNavyChief Updated 7 May 2009 , 11:15am by Reimagining_Confections

RetiredNavyChief Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RetiredNavyChief Posted 6 May 2009 , 1:23pm
post #1 of 8

Hi all, well I have attempted to practice making my cows to go with the cake i sketched for my sister's 50th. The setting cow turned out pretty good, but i had a hard time with the standing one. Actually the only thing left of that one is its head. My question is how do you dry figures that stand and have arms sticking up or out? I put tooth picks in his legs but the holves would crush and the arms would not stay out. This one was pretty frustrating. Any advice on drying them? thanks

7 replies
khkakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
khkakes Posted 6 May 2009 , 1:27pm
post #2 of 8

Not sure about this and you'll probably get better advice but I prop mine up with tissue or paper towels. So for the cow I would wad up some tissue or paper towel and put between the wide part ofthe legs(stomach area) to take the pressure off the legs and body.

Reimagining_Confections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Reimagining_Confections Posted 6 May 2009 , 1:37pm
post #3 of 8

Couple of options:

Gumpaste mixed with fondant- It will be stronger and not crush in on you. Could also let the pieces dry a bit and then attach with gumpaste glue and toothpicks.

Make body legs and arms, let dry not attached. Poke holes where needed to attach later. Let fondant dry hard- then attach by inserting in holes with a little fondant glue in holes to secure. Support figure and pieces until firmly attached. To support I use what ever is handy and about the size height I need.

Marzipan for the figures. It is strong, dries hard quickly and is easy to mold.

Molding chocolate is also another good support for figures. Then cover in fondant and decorate.

Good luck!

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 6 May 2009 , 1:45pm
post #4 of 8

Cookiesbymomme has good suggestions... I always use the 50/50 mix of fondant to gumpaste. Actually,it's probably a little closer to 60/40 with gumpaste being the more dominant. I also use bubble wrap rolled flat side out as a prop. It does not change the shape of whatever it is you are drying. I, too, do my limbs separately, but do not poke holes when attaching. I simply use a stronger glue concentration. My glue consists of gumpaste diluted in water. It can be made thin or thick depending on what you are working on.

Your cows are precious! I went in and looked at the pix. They look quite perfect to me.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 6 May 2009 , 2:02pm
post #5 of 8

Your cows are amazing!! I would use some pieces of spagetti (along with the gum glue) to make sure the added pieces stay put. That way they are completely edible and you have a extra assurance that the parts will stay put.

RetiredNavyChief Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RetiredNavyChief Posted 6 May 2009 , 4:35pm
post #6 of 8

thanks everyone, i was pretty amaxed at how they turned out too. The only problem is the party isnt until October, and i wasnt sure i could make them. but now i have one that is useable dont know if it will keep until them or not. Where do i get marizapan? I think i saw some on global sugar? I will try some of your suggestions, thanks for all of the help.

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 7 May 2009 , 1:11am
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredNavyChief

thanks everyone, i was pretty amaxed at how they turned out too. The only problem is the party isnt until October, and i wasnt sure i could make them. but now i have one that is useable dont know if it will keep until them or not. Where do i get marizapan? I think i saw some on global sugar? I will try some of your suggestions, thanks for all of the help.

Your cow should keep just fine until October... I still have my figure of son (Martial Arts Cake) standing out on a shelf and this is a year later! If you want to keep your bovine clean and dust free, gently wrap him in a paper towel and place him in one of the disposable storage containers. He should be just fine until you need to "moove" him. icon_lol.gif

Reimagining_Confections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Reimagining_Confections Posted 7 May 2009 , 11:15am
post #8 of 8

You should be able to find Marzipan at most grocery store chains in the baking area. If not local cake decorating stores and World Market carries them. Not sure about where you live. It is a bit expensive and if allergies are an issue you can't use it. Marziapn is made from almond paste.

Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%