Wilton Cake Lessons Course 2- Please Help!

Decorating By velcrostiletto Updated 26 Jun 2009 , 1:04pm by Loucinda

velcrostiletto Posted 6 May 2009 , 12:37pm
post #1 of 17

Hello everyone!
I start the wilton cake dec. classes Course 2 tonight and when I signed up nobody could tell me what to bring! I have heard that you do need to bring buttercream but I have no clue and could really use some help if anyone knows. What do the instructors ask to bring and what you focus on the first class? Thanks so much in advance.

16 replies
msulli10 Posted 6 May 2009 , 12:45pm
post #2 of 17

You should have bought the Course 2 kit and the book will tell you what you need to bring. I don't have it in front of me so I can't help you out. Maybe you can call the place where you signed up and ask. Good Luck.

Kimmers971 Posted 6 May 2009 , 12:45pm
post #3 of 17

I can't believe your instructor hasn't given you a hand out (or the store you are going to the class at). Anyway, you need the buttercream and the Course 2 Kit at minimum for the first night. Then just bring along general supplies you would normally use - I carry a box full of stuff so I'm usually covered.

Good Luck & Have Fun!

letem_eat_cakes Posted 6 May 2009 , 12:47pm
post #4 of 17

yes you will need bc as well as all of your equipment from course one and the new kit for course 2. your teacher will tell you what else to bring next time. for my first course 2 class we just did some review and were told what we will be learning in the class and were taught a few new types of pipings.
hope you enjoy your classes.

*PS* you willonly have to make ONE cake for course two. icon_biggrin.gif

luv2cook721 Posted 6 May 2009 , 12:55pm
post #5 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by letem_eat_cakes

*PS* you willonly have to make ONE cake for course two. icon_biggrin.gif

Man, wish I had known that last week. I decided not to sign up for course 2 because I didn't have time to make a bunch of extra cakes this month. My next time I will be able to take course 2 will be September!

Can you take course 3 &/or 4 before 2?

saycheese Posted 6 May 2009 , 12:59pm
post #6 of 17

here is a link online for what you need to bring to the first night's class:

http://mysite.verizon.net/suescakeclass/course2.html

saycheese Posted 6 May 2009 , 1:01pm
post #7 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2cook721

Can you take course 3 &/or 4 before 2?

we were told that as long as you take course 1 first, you can take the others in any order, but i would recommend 3 before 4.

velcrostiletto Posted 6 May 2009 , 1:26pm
post #8 of 17

I got the student kit and more confec sugar last night, think Im all set.
Thank you guys so much, you are a huge help!
Saycheese -thats a nice site to know abouticon_smile.gif

letem_eat_cakes Posted 6 May 2009 , 4:30pm
post #9 of 17

luv2cook721: you can take course 3 first but i would recommend doing them in order. you will learn some things in course 2 that you may like to use in the 3rd course. but you definitely need to take 3 before you try the fondant/gum paste course.

mbt4955 Posted 6 May 2009 , 4:40pm
post #10 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by saycheese

here is a link online for what you need to bring to the first night's class:

http://mysite.verizon.net/suescakeclass/course2.html

What a great website! Your students are certainly getting a teacher who cares about what she is doing. icon_smile.gif

2SimplySweet Posted 10 May 2009 , 5:37am
post #11 of 17

I HAVE FOUND THAT ....THE FIRST CLASS IS AN INTRODUCTION TO WHAT YOU WILL LEARN IN THE COURSE AND THE INSTRUCTOR WILL DO ALL THE DECORATING THE FIRST CLASS.

SORRY ABOUT THE CAPS icon_smile.gif

auntmamie Posted 10 May 2009 , 6:26pm
post #12 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SimplySweet

I HAVE FOUND THAT ....THE FIRST CLASS IS AN INTRODUCTION TO WHAT YOU WILL LEARN IN THE COURSE AND THE INSTRUCTOR WILL DO ALL THE DECORATING THE FIRST CLASS.

SORRY ABOUT THE CAPS icon_smile.gif

2SimplySweet - that's not always true. We decorated in the first class for all courses except 1. The instructor would show us first, but then we all tried.

emilyhorton Posted 10 May 2009 , 7:10pm
post #13 of 17

I just finished Course 2, and I didn't get a sheet or anything when I paid for the course, either. I didn't know at the time to ask for a handout, so I showed up for class with.... nothing. icon_smile.gif

Everyone else had their kits and buttercream, etc. They practiced making mums and roses in buttercream, I think. I just watched and took notes, so it wasn't a big deal. You were smart to think ahead and come here first to find out!

You'll love course 2. I'm in course 3 now and I can already tell that course 2 was my favorite. The final cake is so pretty. icon_smile.gif

Have fun!

Emily

sandykay Posted 10 May 2009 , 7:24pm
post #14 of 17

Not sure where you have/are taking your courses at but at Michaels you are supposed to get a syllabus when you sign up, it tells you what you need for the first night of class. Plus with the syllabus you get 10% off your class supplies.

cstjohn Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 8:11pm
post #15 of 17

There is no Course 4 with Wilton. Fondant and Gumpaste is an introduction to fondant and Gum Paste and can be taken after Course 1. Wilton did not design it as a course 4 which is why there is no "4" in the title. I have had students take the courses in all different orders and they have not had problems because of doing this.

AXOCutie143 Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 8:25pm
post #16 of 17

Saycheese- THANK you for posting that link! I just finished Course 1, will be starting Course 2 in a few weeks and was curious about 2,3 & 4! I wish you were my Wilton instructor icon_smile.gif

Loucinda Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 1:04pm
post #17 of 17

Wilton is actually going to revamp the courses and take the numbers off of them (so folks are not confused and think they HAVE to take them in order) Not sure when it is going to happen though.....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%