The Cake Bible

Decorating By JennT Updated 19 Aug 2005 , 11:15pm by beachcakes

JennT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennT Posted 19 Aug 2005 , 10:30pm
post #1 of 6

Ooops! icon_redface.gif I had trouble getting my 12x18 cake to cook completely in the middle last night...but it eventually got done. I wrapped it up in plastic wrap and stuck in the fridge overnight to firm up...took it out earlier, unwrapped it and noticed that the edges were really crisp, or hard. I'm thinking, since I have another to go upside down on top of it ( with bc in between) that I could just shave the edges off with a knife? Would that make any difference when I go to decorate, since the bottom layer will be right side up and the top layer upside down? TIA icon_smile.gif

5 replies
tripletmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tripletmom Posted 19 Aug 2005 , 10:36pm
post #2 of 6

This is a perfect example of when a simple syrup comes in handy. If you cut your edges you run the risk of getting a lot more crumbs. If I understand you correctly though the crispy parts will be on the bottom? Even better! Brush them with the simple syrup, let it sit for a few mintues and you will be good to go!

tastycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastycakes Posted 19 Aug 2005 , 10:39pm
post #3 of 6

Are you taking about those little crispy bits around the top ridge? Just cut them off with scissors, much easier than a knife!

JennT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennT Posted 19 Aug 2005 , 10:40pm
post #4 of 6

tripletmom - yes, the crispy edges will be on the TOP of the BOTTOM layer...tht make sense?? lol Instead of torting one 12x18, I'm using two individual 12x18 sheet cakes... Did this because even though the pan is 2 inches deep, the cakes don't actually come out 2 inches deep, at least with me they don't! lol icon_sad.gif Just want to make sure there's enough cake.
I'd thought about the simple syrup...so it will soften up the edges enough?

tripletmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tripletmom Posted 19 Aug 2005 , 10:44pm
post #5 of 6

I can only speak from my experience and that is what works for me. The buttercream adds a certain amount of moistness however I find the syrup adds what the baking process took out. Brush it lightly and it should be perfect once again.

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 19 Aug 2005 , 11:15pm
post #6 of 6

JennT, anything 12" or bigger, I use an inverted flower nail in the center to help distribute the heat. Your edges got overbaked b/c the center had to cook longer, so they're crispy. You can trim them off with a knife if you don't want crispy edges in your cake. Crumbcoating the sides or icing with the icer tip will help with the crumbs.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%