Candy Hibiscus

Decorating By mommyto4 Updated 6 May 2009 , 4:02am by Texas_Rose

mommyto4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyto4 Posted 6 May 2009 , 3:15am
post #1 of 2

I couldn't find any directions on how to make a hibiscus out of royal icing so I made some out of colored tootsie rolls and starburst. I put one piece of candy in the microwave for 5 seconds. Then I rolled it thin and used my wilton five petal rose cutter to cut one out. I then made slits between the petals just like I do when I make a rose. I use my veiner to vein each petal. I gave them a stamen with some royal icing and then I put them on cupcakes. The petals will not hold a shape so they just go wherever the icing they are put on or pushed into make them go. I think the kids will like them.

1 reply
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 6 May 2009 , 4:02am
post #2 of 2

You can make flowers from bubble gum too...I've made roses like that before for my kids.

I make hibiscus with the 5 petal cutter too, but with MMF. I let them dry in a plastic egg holder that I use for most of my flowers (the one walmart has at easter for colored eggs), put a fondant stamen and then use a tiny scrapbooking punch to make a spiky looking thing (sure there's a real name for it icon_biggrin.gif I just don't know it) to put on the end of the stamen. I made the ones on this cake http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1258148 that way.

I like the idea of using starbursts, I'll have to try it soon.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%