Which Is Better........wood Or Marble????

Decorating By suzted7 Updated 6 May 2009 , 1:55pm by -K8memphis

suzted7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzted7 Posted 5 May 2009 , 10:56pm
post #1 of 6

In the middle of rolling out my fondant of my last cake.....one of the handles from my rolling pin broke clean off. Not kidding....we're talking metal. It's the yellow one from Michaels. Anyway, I need a new one and I'm looking at either marble or wood. Actually....I want something solid and heavy.....LOL....Any help would be appreciated!

5 replies
KathyTW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathyTW Posted 5 May 2009 , 11:03pm
post #2 of 6

I would think marble would be better, if for nothing else than cleaning it.

Question for you Suzted7...how long did you have the wilton yellow rolling pin? I just bought one last week and so far I really like it because it's heavy and rolls fondant really well but now I'm worried about it breaking (I threw the last one a way because the handles leaked for days after washing it)

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 5 May 2009 , 11:51pm
post #3 of 6

on the food challenges you often see them using large diameter plastic plumbing pieces -- the kind made for drinking water.

suzted7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzted7 Posted 6 May 2009 , 1:26pm
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Quote:

Question for you Suzted7...how long did you have the wilton yellow rolling pin? I just bought one last week and so far I really like it because it's heavy and rolls fondant really well but now I'm worried about it breaking (I threw the last one a way because the handles leaked for days after washing it)

I think I had it for about 6 months. Seriously, it was a CLEAN snap....don't know how else to describe it.

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 6 May 2009 , 1:52pm
post #5 of 6

I prefer wood (although I sometimes use PVC for fondant). I prefer to have a marble SURFACE (for chocolate and pastry work) rather than pin, but in fondant I don't feel it makes a difference. Also, I prefer a straight (not tapered) french rolling pin (no handles).

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 6 May 2009 , 1:55pm
post #6 of 6

At work, I used a short, stubby marble one with handles and lovely ball bearings inside. Before I used it I thought it was dumb because it was so short. But I came to love it because of the extra power from the weight.

Those big tubes they use on the challenges have no handles and those are difficult to roll but they work for those gigantic cakes.

So at home I have several wooden ones. If I purchased a new one I'd like a marble one. The shortness was not a problem to get big pieces of fondant smooth. Me likie.

Extra idea--I often stand on a step to add my upper body weight to rolling out fondant. All I have to do is lean in on the roller and in so doing I use my energy more efficiently. Ergo, rolling pins with handles are my favorite.

I do this (stand on a step) when cooking egg whites for smbc too. Where you've got a pot of boiling water, a bowl setting on top of that then you gotta whisk it--it's a pretty tall arrangement even though I'm 5'8". So it really saves the arms kwim.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%