Is This Possible??

Decorating By armywife233 Updated 6 May 2009 , 1:26am by lorrieg

armywife233 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
armywife233 Posted 5 May 2009 , 10:37pm
post #1 of 5

I am making a coconut cake for Mother's Day, and the recipe I use has a whipped cream topping and then you put the coconut on top of that. My question is, could I cover this cake with fondant? I am trying to get some fondant practice and am hoping this will not be a disaster!
Thanks!

4 replies
bakingatthebeach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingatthebeach Posted 5 May 2009 , 11:28pm
post #2 of 5

Personally, I dont think it would work. You would have to to something to the fondant to make the coconut stick. Plus, being the coconut cake is my favorite, the best part is the coconut with the soft frosting.

armywife233 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
armywife233 Posted 6 May 2009 , 1:06am
post #3 of 5

That's kind of what I was thinking. I've never done fondant and was really wanting to try. I guess I'll just be making a cake for no reason soon!
Thanks!

KawaiiCakeCook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KawaiiCakeCook Posted 6 May 2009 , 1:14am
post #4 of 5

nope, won't work(tried it before...on my wedding day). You can however add another layer of icing on top of the coconut, to smooth it out and have the fondant stick to that. Plus unless your fondant is really think the bumps from your coconut will show through.

lorrieg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorrieg Posted 6 May 2009 , 1:26am
post #5 of 5

You could make the cake, crumbcoat, cover in fondant for the look you want and have the other icing on the side with the coconut.

I've taken my pampered chef decorating thing with the tips and plunger, filled it with whipped cream icing and put a couple of cute rosettes around the cake slice on the plate before serving. Then sprinkle with coconut. That way anyone that doesn't want that part can just skip it. Or be less fancy, just put a nice blob on the plate. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%