Rkt And Fondant

Decorating By laurakay0523 Updated 6 May 2009 , 2:34pm by spunkybear

laurakay0523 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laurakay0523 Posted 5 May 2009 , 9:45pm
post #1 of 8

When using fondant on a rice krispie treat mold, how long do you have to wait for the RKT to cool before you ice it in buttercream and cover in fondant?Also when putting the fondant on the figure, how do you smooth it out so it doesnt leave creases? And one more, if you crush up the rice krispies before you add the melted marshmellows, will that decrease the chances of the figure looking lumpy? Sorry do many questions. i have never worked with fondant before playing with it a little bit today. Thanks in advanced!

7 replies
erikamj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erikamj Posted 6 May 2009 , 4:53am
post #2 of 8

I like to let my RKT cool and set for at least a day before I cover it with icing.

laurakay0523 Posted 6 May 2009 , 1:44pm
post #3 of 8

That helps alot! Thanks! do you crush your cereal before adding the marshmellows, or does it matter?

calynmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calynmom Posted 6 May 2009 , 1:47pm
post #4 of 8

What at least over night before applying the icing.

Don't need to crush the cereal.

I apply a thin coat to get in the cracks and then let that dry for about an hour and then apply another coat to make sure every where is even.

If you want your figure to dry faster don't use any butter when making the recipe.

HTH

spunkybear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spunkybear Posted 6 May 2009 , 1:56pm
post #5 of 8

Because I live in a seriously high humidity area I have encountered more than my share of rkt nightmares!
A CC trick I learned was to coat them with a layer of melted candy melts after you have sculpted and before the fondant. Let that cool and then proceed. Not only does it act as a "glue" but also give a bit more smoothness to the surface if applying fondant or buttercream.

laurakay0523 Posted 6 May 2009 , 2:03pm
post #6 of 8

Thats a good tip! I live in Baton Rouge and it is very humid here! Thanks! I am just a little nervous because I have to have this cake for Friday. I think I am more nervous about working with fondant.

Dizzymaiden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dizzymaiden Posted 6 May 2009 , 2:11pm
post #7 of 8

Love the idea of covering the RKT with candy - I always have an extra bag of those lying around.

spunkybear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spunkybear Posted 6 May 2009 , 2:34pm
post #8 of 8

I have also read on here from the oh so wise ones that if you leave the butter out of the rkt recipe that will help in the "drying-sculpting" as well. I haven't had to put that particular tip to the test but will be this week as a matter of fact as I have a tree house to sculpt!!! icon_surprised.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%