Cake Employment

Decorating By ghostgirl27 Updated 6 May 2009 , 8:25pm by cakesdivine

ghostgirl27 Posted 5 May 2009 , 8:26pm
post #1 of 7

Hi everyone. I first just wanted to say what a wonderful community this is. I haven't spoken up yet as I haven't felt I had anything useful to contribute, but this such a great and talented bunch of people. Though I'm sure you all already know that.

Anyway, I've recently discovered decorating and realized I'd love to make the career shift and pursue it. I'm also in the process of trying to move to MD, so I applied to every grocery store I could outside the figuring I could learn more, get kitchen experience, and work on building a nice portfolio. Problem is I can't get any grocery store to take me seriously. No one will contact me and when I talk to them they don't believe I genuinely want to leave my "cushy desk job," that's actually horrible. I'm sorry, tangent.

So I guess I'm wondering how can I get seriously considered for an entry level job? Would a grocery store care about a portfolio? And on that note what do you think are the most important elements to exhibit in a new portfolio? I love to learn and really want to make this happen.

Thank you everyone. Sorry for being so long winded, especially on a first post.

6 replies
Michellers Posted 5 May 2009 , 9:06pm
post #2 of 7

I can't answer your question as I only bake as a hobby, but you might get more answers in the cake Business thread. Good luck!

Kiddiekakes Posted 5 May 2009 , 9:12pm
post #3 of 7

Well..I know grocery stores here want to see that you have some decorating experience.Show them photos of your work..techniques etc...Ask them to let you decorate a simple cake to prove your skills.Other than that..I'm not sure what else to get them to look at you seriously.

kakeladi Posted 5 May 2009 , 9:30pm
post #4 of 7

What little I remember from years ago about grocery store bakeries is that they pay minimum wage for x # of hours wich usually works out to 3 years before you get any kind of raise icon_sad.gif
You usually do lots of other work.......not that much actual decorating. One place I worked they had me coming in at 3 a.m. to make donuts, then the last hour or two of the shift when I was so tired I could hardly see straight they wanted me to decorate many more cakes then was humanly possible which were then stored *uncovered* in the fzr! icon_sad.gif
Each supervisor is different. Some want nothing but speed, slap it on the go on to the next one, others will let you use some nice decorating while still others have only set designs to do with NO varying allowed.
The other thing is that most want to see you in person. Calling or phoning won't get the job done. Go in with your portfolio. Put on a good face and let them know how excited you are to try the job. But do be prepared to do lots of dishwashing and cleaning with little decorating - at least in the beginning.
I wish you lots of luck icon_smile.gif

ghostgirl27 Posted 6 May 2009 , 12:19am
post #5 of 7

Michellers- Thanks for the input. Sorry I thought that section was strictly for those operating or looking to operate a business.

Kiddiekakes- Great suggestion about doing a demo for them.

kakeladi- I appreciate your input. I have heard working in grocery stores is a pretty raw deal in a lot of cases. I want to bring in a portfolio, but being over two hours from where I'm applying makes it tough. I'll have to work something out somehow.

Thanks everyone.

brincess_b Posted 6 May 2009 , 6:16pm
post #6 of 7

the main thing with grocery store cakes is to be able to do quick pretty bc roses.
xx

cakesdivine Posted 6 May 2009 , 8:25pm
post #7 of 7

That's odd my first grocery store gig back in 97 I made $10 ph right off the bat, worked for 1 year there and by end was making $12.50 hr. My next grocery store gig was in 2002, worked there for 3 years started out at $13 hr then was a manager by end of career there making $15 hr. All the decorators made at or more than $10 to start. You have to ask for what you want pay wise and prove you can actually decorate by decorating on the spot. The least I ever made per hour was at a private bakery at $9 per hour + $1 for each cake completed during that pay period. I usually racked up an additional $200 to $250 during the 2-week period. It was a very high volume bakery.

I always hated it when the store director hired decorators for me and I didn't get to interview them. I ended up having to fire most that they hired because they had NO experience. A grocery store bakery does not have time to teach you how to do your job, you have to know from the get go!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%