Fondant Quantity???

Decorating By olichka77 Updated 7 May 2009 , 4:41pm by olichka77

olichka77 Posted 5 May 2009 , 6:56pm
post #1 of 10

Hello ladies
I'm making a wedding cake in about a month, 3-tier, SQUARE, 16, 12, 8in. I need to figure out how much fondant I would need for the cake, how would I do that? I've never worked with fondant for such big cakes, so if you have any ideas, please help me out.
I found 10-lb white rolled fondant to buy online for about $48, is that a good deal? And is the ROLLED fondant actually already rolled out???
Thanks for any ideas and suggestions.

9 replies
destinyrn Posted 5 May 2009 , 7:12pm
post #2 of 10

That price sounds pretty good for 10 pounds depending on the brand. No, unfortantely it is not already rolled out, wouldn't that be great if it was. Good luck thumbs_up.gif

Rylan Posted 5 May 2009 , 7:13pm
post #3 of 10

10 pound white fondant + shipping is a little expensive, unless you are reffering to chocopan since it has more coverage than regular fondant. I would suggest Satin Ice or much better, try Jennifer Dontz semi homemade recipe. 16 is a lot to cover. I would advice using a mat.

Rolled fondant DOESN'T mean its already rolled out in sheets and ready to be laid onto the cake. They usually just come in buckets or sealed in some kind of container, you have to knead it and roll it with a rolling pin. Oh actually, I've seen already rolled flat sheets of fondant somewhere.. I just dont remember where.

olichka77 Posted 5 May 2009 , 7:31pm
post #4 of 10

Bummer, they shouldn't say then that it's rolled fondant icon_biggrin.gif . That website for Satin Ice fondant is awesome. They have 20lb white fondant for $45 that's so much cheaper than the other one that I saw. Thank you.
Now would 20lb be enough to cover all 3 square sheets?

Rylan Posted 5 May 2009 , 8:49pm
post #5 of 10

Not sure, but it would also depend on how tall the cakes would be.

Debluvs2bake Posted 5 May 2009 , 8:54pm
post #6 of 10

Here is a link to the Wilton site, to a guide on how much fondant you'll need.

tiggy2 Posted 5 May 2009 , 8:54pm
post #7 of 10

I believe Earlene Moore's website tells you how much fondant you need to cover each size tier.

olichka77 Posted 5 May 2009 , 8:55pm
post #8 of 10

Each tier would probably be between 4-5in tall. I should've mentioned it earlier I guess.

pipe-dreams Posted 5 May 2009 , 9:22pm
post #9 of 10

I just wanted to say, since it's your first time with that much fondant, you should definitely practice on a small square cake first, or even on a dummy cake. I hear that square cakes are harder than round. Good luck!!

olichka77 Posted 7 May 2009 , 4:41pm
post #10 of 10

Hello again
So I'm wondering if Wilton's quantity of fondant chart is pretty accurate or not? I saw few other websites where it seems like Wilton's chart uses smaller quantity. I want to make sure that I buy enough of fondant, and won't be short at the end.
Also, do you ladies have any clue where I could get plastic square bases for each tier. They will be stacked directly on top of each other, but I know that besides dowels, I need to have each tier either on a cardboard cut-out or plastic square sheet. So, any ideas? I can't find anything in the stores here, and I've tried online as well, and haven't found anything yet.
Thank you again for so much help.

Quote by @%username% on %date%