Open Book Cake

Decorating By cakecitycakes Updated 8 May 2009 , 5:32pm by Cathy26

cakecitycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecitycakes Posted 5 May 2009 , 6:55pm
post #1 of 13

Hi everyone,
I'll be in the process of making an open book cake soon. I've noticed that Wilton has a pan for baking a book shaped cake but I don't have one of those pans. Any hints as to how to get the same effect, maybe bake two 13x9 cakes and then carve them? I'm pretty lost at this point, any hints or ideas would be so appreciated!
Thanks in advance, (lost in the books!!)
Nicole

12 replies
pastryjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryjen Posted 5 May 2009 , 7:58pm
post #2 of 13

What about renting the pan? ...or..make a template. How to explain this one...

if you look at the book at eye level (book on table, you knelling down)bit would look like a wide m. I'd make the book shape, cut out of cardboard and use toothpicks in the cake on top and bottom to mark the shape that you are going to have to cut.

I hope that makes sense.

juleebug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juleebug Posted 5 May 2009 , 8:03pm
post #3 of 13

Here's a link to a template for carving an open book cake.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=340743

linstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linstead Posted 5 May 2009 , 8:12pm
post #4 of 13

Nicole - I had to make a large open book cake in January and did what you first wrote - make two 9 X 13 cakes and carved them (sculpted the sides only on slants), covered in fondant then pushed them together. That was really easy. If you go to my profile page you can see it.

Nancy

pastryjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryjen Posted 5 May 2009 , 8:50pm
post #5 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by juleebug

Here's a link to a template for carving an open book cake.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=340743

That's exactly what I was trying to say! thumbs_up.gif

cakecitycakes Posted 5 May 2009 , 9:05pm
post #6 of 13

Thanks to all the tips and I've printed the template and taken a look at linstead's (Nancy's) profile for some ideas and again many many thanks! I feel confident that I can pull it off now. If it goes well I'll post some pictures.

You all rock! icon_smile.gif

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 5 May 2009 , 9:35pm
post #7 of 13

Ya, don't waste your money on the pan. My MIL gave me one years ago, i used it for the first time this past week...i hated it. I ended up scraping the cake and hand carving it. Because the pan is such an odd shape there are areas that are REALLY thick, and REALLY thin..very uneven baking. By the time the thickest part cooks the edges are WAY over baked. What i did was trace the side of the pan and stuck it to one side of my 11x15pan, took a knife and carved following that shape. I then removed the template and put it on the other side, did the same thing..this way it was very evenly carved and you would never have known i didn't use that silly pan. Too bad, i learnt this the hard way..ditched that whole cake..oh well...Good luck. If you have any other questions feel free to PM me.

Suzanne

cakecitycakes Posted 6 May 2009 , 9:22pm
post #8 of 13

Thanks Suzanne, I was thinking about buying a pan from ebay but based on everyone's comments I was going to wing it with the 2 13x9s and carve them but I think I'll just go the route of a 11x15 carved, less work! icon_biggrin.gif

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 6 May 2009 , 9:40pm
post #9 of 13

I used the book pan & it worked very well for me, I placed a couple of icing nails so that it would cook evenly. I guess I was fortunate.

kandu001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kandu001 Posted 6 May 2009 , 11:29pm
post #10 of 13

I just finished making one last weekend. I just made 2 9x13's and carved them. It was pretty easy. I looked into getting the pan, but truthfully I don't think it will be worth it because it was easy to carve. Good luck!!

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 7 May 2009 , 2:51am
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by superstar

I used the book pan & it worked very well for me, I placed a couple of icing nails so that it would cook evenly. I guess I was fortunate.

I think you did get lucky..i also used two flower nails to assist those deeper areas and still the sides of the cake were grossly overbaked by the time the middle was done.

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 7 May 2009 , 9:32pm
post #12 of 13

Using the 9X13 pans sounds a lot safer, I might be a little nervous to use the book pan again!!!

Cathy26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cathy26 Posted 8 May 2009 , 5:32pm
post #13 of 13

i used a 10 inch square and just trimed about 1 1/2 inches of one side to make it a better shape and then carved it into a book shape. didnt want to buy a pan (its expensive in the uk and didnt know when id do another one). it worked great its in my pics!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%