Tip, Tricks And Recipes For Cookie Bouquet, Please?

Decorating By DancingCakes2008 Updated 7 May 2009 , 9:35pm by FlourPots

DancingCakes2008 Posted 5 May 2009 , 6:47pm
post #1 of 11

I am interested in trying to make a cookie bouquet. Never been interested until I started seeing ones on cakecentral.

Questions like:

1. What recipes for cookie and frosting. Something not royal.

2. How to bake, when do you add the stick, how thick do you roll out the dough?

3. To bag, or not to bag.

Sorry, I am completely clueless.

I appreciate any help anyone can give.

Thank you

10 replies
FullMoonRanch Posted 5 May 2009 , 7:01pm
post #2 of 11

Me too!! CC sure has a talented bunch of cookiers! I have made up a batch of sugar cookie dough today to try it out. I am going to try Antonia 74's RI. I would love to hear any advice the pros have. Thanks! icon_biggrin.gif

Shelly4481 Posted 5 May 2009 , 8:08pm
post #3 of 11

Your right there are alot of great cookie bakers here, I have only done a few so I am by far experienced. Just finished chocolate chip cookies on a stick. Worked pretty good. I put the stick down then put cookie dough on it. Worked good. Also working on 150 monogram sugar cookies for a wedding now. I use Antonias RI, added vanilla flavoring and it was really good. Bagging is up to the individual, I am bagging mine because they are to be given out to different people. Bought my stick and bags on countrykitchensa.com and they were pretty cheap. (shipping hurts but had to have them) hope I helped a little. My sugar cookie recipe was out of an old Betty crocker cook book I got 25 years ago. It taste good.

FullMoonRanch Posted 5 May 2009 , 8:58pm
post #4 of 11

Thanks Shelly!

cylstrial Posted 6 May 2009 , 11:32am
post #5 of 11

You all might try the cookie forum too! There are lots of wonderful cookie experts that hang out in there!

And Shelly - I've been thinking about adding vanilla to Antonia74's RI. So it worked out and tasted good? How much vanilla did you put in?

sew4children Posted 6 May 2009 , 1:44pm
post #6 of 11

Okay, I'm not an expert, but had learned by my mistakes.

1. I use a sugar cookie recipe that I purchased and cannot share (sorry). But I have used the Never Fail Sugar Cookie recipe here and it's almost as good.

2. I buy my sticks at Walmart. They are bamboo skewers and you get 100 for $.97. I go to the dollar store and buy cheap sandwich bags and cut the zipper top off.

3. I use a low temp glue gun to adhere the stick to the back of the BAG and then cover it with 4 inches of packing tape. When you place the cookie inside the bag and tie it tightly, it is as secure as having the cookie on the stick. This helps with the waste of sticks, danger of small children hurting their mouth and is cost effective because I can roll my dough thinner. If you ever start baking in large quantities, this helps you bake the cookies and then create a bouquet later if needed.

4. I use Antonia74's royal icing and would recommend it to everyone. I add 4TBSP of vanilla to make the flavor more tolerable. On occasion, I will use marshmallow fondant to cover the cookie and adhere with corn syrup.

Hope all of this helps! Take a look at the Cookie Forum and you'll get a lot more information. Good Luck!

saycheese Posted 6 May 2009 , 1:59pm
post #7 of 11

I (we, DH, DD) just made our first cookie bouquet for MIL...

it was fun.

We used the No Fail Sugar Cookie recipe...I like it a lot and it's easy to use. It's not really a sugar cookie but more like a butter cookie if you ask me. (That's okay...i don't like sugar cookies icon_rolleyes.gif )

I used the wilton cookie sticks, but i think they are too big...will use smaller ones next time.

I purchased some wilton lollipop bags that have a ribbon on them to cinch them up...i really liked the way this looked and worked. Sorry i have not posted them yet.

I don't like royal icing, so i used a little bc under thinly rolled fondant. used impression mats for the fondant then embellised with luster dusts and edible pearls, etc. I loved the outcome.

Hope you have as much fun making them as we did.

-Tubbs Posted 6 May 2009 , 2:00pm
post #8 of 11
Originally Posted by sew4children

I use Antonia74's royal icing and would recommend it to everyone. I add 4TBSP of vanilla to make the flavor more tolerable.

Sorry to nitpick, but are you sure it's that much? Sounds like 4tsp would be more appropriate..?

To OP, you could try Toba's Glace icing - people seem to really like the taste, although I have to say I prefer RI because it's easier to control when doing small detailing.

I like to put the stick in before baking. I roll dough 1/4" thick and push the stick up into the dough, using my hand on top as a guide. I just think it's more fun for people (especially kids) to eat the cookie off the stick!

Regarding bagging, I always bag each cookie seperately - it keeps them nice and fresh for a week or more. That's unless they're for a party or some other occasion where they'll all be eaten immediatly.

Have fun!

sew4children Posted 7 May 2009 , 12:42pm
post #9 of 11

Yep, 4 TBSP! Sounds crazy, but everyone loves my icing. I actually have three customers who purchase my icing in one pound batches to use for their own decorating.

Everything comes down to preference, yours and your customers. Sticks, recipes, bagging.....change it for every order based on the order!

Good Luck!

bonniebakes Posted 7 May 2009 , 1:02pm
post #10 of 11

you really might want to do a search in the cookie forum, because there are a few threads about this lurking around in there....

As far as your questions, I use a modified version of the NFSC recipe and Antonia74's icing recipe (both in the recipe section here on CC). The NFSC recipe is easy and has always worked well for me. I do add some extra vanilla (probably 1T extra for a full batch), or a combination of flavored extracts (like almond or lemon). However, I think they are fine on their own - a little bland, maybe, but a great canvas for all of that sugary icing that's going on top! Antonia's icing is a royal icing, but it isn't "rock hard" like the kind you would use for gingerbread houses. I do know that some people use fondant or buttercream to cover their cookies, so if you don't want to use any kind of royal, those are two options for you.

You can place the sticks onto the bags, like one previous poster suggested, or place the sticks onto the cookies directly. I have done it both ways - adhering the sticks after the cookie baked or pushing it into the center of the cookie before baking. Both work well (again, try searching this in the cookie forum and you'll get loads of information about how people do this). I prefer into the cookie before baking, but that's just me personal preference.

I typically make my cookie about 1/4 inch thick. If I'm putting them on sticks, I make them a little thicker...maybe 3/4 inch thick,so that there's more room for me to stick the stick in the cookie.

I bag them individually, but that's mostly because I'm a germaphobe!

Hope that helps with soem of your quesitons!

FlourPots Posted 7 May 2009 , 9:35pm
post #11 of 11

Quote by @%username% on %date%