Help Needed...traveling Over 700 Miles W/cake

Decorating By colabear71 Updated 5 May 2009 , 8:31pm by bakinglover

colabear71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
colabear71 Posted 5 May 2009 , 6:18pm
post #1 of 8

I am traveling just over 700 miles tomorrow for my cousin's anniversary. I am making a cake, buttercream only. The party isn't til Saturday and I am leaving tomorrow...Wednesday. I don't have room there to bake or make buttercream, so I am thinking of baking my cake here today and making my buttercream and refrigerating it.

My question, what is the best way to take the cake? Should I just refrigerate it tonight or freeze it? I have never frozen a cake...so I don't know if you use plastic wrap then foil or foil then plastic wrap???

I am transporting the buttercream in a cooler w/ ice...i'm thinking I should just keep the cake in there too??

Any suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated as this is my first time traveling with cake.

Kim

7 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 5 May 2009 , 6:28pm
post #2 of 8

I've travelled with 3-D carved cakes, and tiered cakes (only 2 tiers) fully assembled for over 600 miles!! If you don't even have it decorated then NO SWEAT!!! If you feel better taking it in a cooler then do that in case the car gets hot, other than that it should be easy as pie.......or cake! lol

SweetSweetCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetSweetCreations Posted 5 May 2009 , 6:31pm
post #3 of 8

I would get some of the non skid shelf liner and put it under the box but I would also add it uner the cake inside the box since you are traveling so far. It should keep it from sliding at all. You can get it just about anywhere and it is really cheap.

colabear71 Posted 5 May 2009 , 6:38pm
post #4 of 8

The reason for the cooler is that is suppose to be 101 tomorrow when we are traveling...and if we stop to eat...it'll get way hot in the car.

Do you suggest freezing the cake tonight before traveling and then just keeping it refrigerated til Friday as that is when I will decorate?? and if yes to the freezing...what do you recommend as I have never frozen a cake before...wax paper, parchment paper, plastic wrap, foil???

thanks

colabear71 Posted 5 May 2009 , 7:24pm
post #5 of 8

Anyone???

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 5 May 2009 , 7:32pm
post #6 of 8

I would freeze it wrapped in wax paper or plastic wrap then wrapped in tin foil, this way in the cooler, it should stay pretty cool, even if the cold pack melt, goodluck

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 5 May 2009 , 7:38pm
post #7 of 8

I'm sure that people "who know" will jump back in, but I would say ... yes, freeze it. I have done two out of town weddings and started both with frozen cakes. The first time I actually used dry ice to keep them frozen until I reached my destination. They went into a freezer until I was ready to thaw them out.

Just a couple of weeks ago, I had another out of town wedding. I put the frozen cakes into coolers in my car. Some of them were thawed out by the time I go there, some weren't, but I think freezing them kept them fresh just a little bit longer.

I wrap my cakes at least three times in plastic wrap. I sometimes overwrap with heavy duty foil. Let them thaw out IN the plastic wrap. It will hold the moisture in. If you are going 700 miles, they will be thawed out by the time you get there.

Will you arrive on Thursday and decorate on Friday? Hopefully someone will jump in who knows ... but I would leave them wrapped up and in the fridge until you are ready to decorate ....

I really hope this helps.
Martha

bakinglover Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakinglover Posted 5 May 2009 , 8:31pm
post #8 of 8

Thank you so much for posting this! I was actually coming over to do the same post. I am wanting to do a cake for my husband once he returns from deployment and I would have to travel about 700 miles as well. Is it okay if I decorate the cake at my house then travel with it? I don't really have a place to decorate much when I get there (his mom would freak if I got her kitchen dirty and I am a messy decorator). Thanks so much.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%