Best Kind Of Pasta Roller

Decorating By AfordRN Updated 6 May 2009 , 11:44am by cylstrial

AfordRN Posted 5 May 2009 , 6:11pm
post #1 of 15

For those of you that use a pasta roller to roll out fondant and gumpaste....what kind/brand do you suggest? I have a KA mixer and could buy the attachment, but they can be kind of expensive. Do you suggest a hand crack vs electric? Any brand to stay away from? Trying to do it right the first time, so I bet the KA attachment is the way to go icon_rolleyes.gif

14 replies
Peridot Posted 5 May 2009 , 6:24pm
post #2 of 15

You bet - KA is the way to go. Do not wate your money on anything else. The investment of the KA is worth every penny. Just make sure that when you are done using your pasta roller that you do not try to wipe it or put a cloth or rag near it when it is running or you will wreck your pasta roller - it will suck the cloth into it right before your eyes!!! Make sure that it is turned OFF then clean it and wipe it gently!!!

nonnyscakes Posted 5 May 2009 , 6:29pm
post #3 of 15

Peridot - Do you speak from experience? icon_wink.gificon_biggrin.gif

Peridot Posted 5 May 2009 , 6:31pm
post #4 of 15

No, I speak from experience of a friend! She is the one that warned me after it happened to her. I am REALLY careful as I don't want to have to buy a new roller!!

Donnagardner Posted 5 May 2009 , 6:32pm
post #5 of 15

NEVER EVER EVER clean it with it running!!!! It will suck things in it befor you can blink your eyes and be broken and then you have to buy another one.

Donnagardner Posted 5 May 2009 , 6:35pm
post #6 of 15

Forgot to say I like my hand crank roller just fine. I bought it from Hobby Lobby using a 40% off coupon so it was like $15 or so instead of the $ for a KA one and it wont break nearly as easy BUT it is not as consistent as the KA either...but to me it is worth hte trade off.

nonnyscakes Posted 5 May 2009 , 6:37pm
post #7 of 15

To Peridot - icon_smile.gif I am glad to hear that it wasn't a mishap for you and sorry that it happened to your friend. I have screwed up some stuff in my time, but not a pasta roller cause I don't have one. icon_sad.gif

I bought a Wolfgang Puck stand mixer from his Bistro collection and even though I love it dearly and have never had any trouble out of it, the attachments are difficult to find. Looking back, I wish I had just gone with a KA.

tiggy2 Posted 5 May 2009 , 6:45pm
post #8 of 15

I have the KA pasta roller attachment and LOVE it! I had a hand crank one from the clay section at Michaels and there is no comparison. I gave it away on CC by doing a "Pay it Forward" a few months ago. I wouldn't trade my KA pasta roller for anything! It was worth every penny DH spent on it icon_smile.gif

destinyrn Posted 5 May 2009 , 7:01pm
post #9 of 15

Thanks for sharing! I was contemplating if I should invest in the pasta roller attachment for KA.

hensor Posted 5 May 2009 , 7:10pm
post #10 of 15

Dumb question, but what do you do about covering cakes??? I am thinking the KA pasta roller is not very wide. Maybe I am wrong.

tiggy2 Posted 5 May 2009 , 7:14pm
post #11 of 15

To cover the cake I roll the fondant out on a sheet a vinyl from the fabric store then flip the whole thing over onto the cake. Less handling and less chance to tear. I roll it about 1/4" thick.

AfordRN Posted 5 May 2009 , 9:10pm
post #12 of 15

Wow, thanks for all the advice. Looks like a KA roller is the way to go. My next step is to search for the best deal now!

Hensor: When I roll out my fondant to cover cakes, I roll it out on freezer paper. I don't have to use any cornstarch, pwd sugar or crisco. Never sticks either!! AND when I'm done I just untape it from the counter and toss it. Easy clean up icon_biggrin.gif

Peridot Posted 5 May 2009 , 9:21pm
post #13 of 15

AfordRN

Freezer paper - I would never have thought of that. I am going to have to try that one. That would save a lot of time cleaning up the mess on the counter, or the vinyl or the silicone mat. WOW! Thanks for a great idea.

Margieluvstobake Posted 6 May 2009 , 5:10am
post #14 of 15

I was wanting to get a pasta roller for my KA a while back. When researching them on the web, I read reports from owners that said, while the outside was metal, there was some plastic parts inside that broke easily. Once they broke, you had to replace the entire roller. KA would not repair them. Has anyone had any experience like that?

cylstrial Posted 6 May 2009 , 11:44am
post #15 of 15

Thanks everyone! I've been wondering what kind of pasta roller to get as well. It's always good to hear recommendations from people who know!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%