Help! Color Changing!

Decorating By SJ169 Updated 6 May 2009 , 1:50pm by sugabear

SJ169 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SJ169 Posted 5 May 2009 , 4:51pm
post #1 of 7

Help! I am making a baby shower cake for the weekend, and I started making the bow so that it would harden up a bit before i put it on the cake. I use MMF, the color that i started with was a light purple color and then it changed color to a light blue! Why did this happen? icon_sad.gif I did have it on a plate outside but my deck is covered...I can make another one but i am scared this is going to happen again.
Anu suggestions will be VERY helpfull!
Thanks icon_smile.gif

6 replies
cakes22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes22 Posted 5 May 2009 , 5:45pm
post #2 of 7

What brand of colours are you using? (wilton,etc) I have heard that some of the Wilton colours, specifically purples and blues have a tendency to lighten up a bit.
If you left your bow outside, was it in the sun? Cause sunlight can cause fading (not sure if it would happen that quickly or not)??? icon_confused.gif

Sorry I couldn't be more help........

sandy1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandy1 Posted 5 May 2009 , 5:50pm
post #3 of 7

Keep it in a dark area. Any light will cause the color to fade to a blue. If you have a dehumidifier in your home, place your bow next to it to help speed up the drying time.[/u]

SJ169 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SJ169 Posted 5 May 2009 , 5:59pm
post #4 of 7

I use the wilton colors (violet).

I will try making it again and keeping it inside and in a darker area.

If I had some gum-tex to the fondant that I make the bow out of will that make it harden up faster? I dont have a dehumidifier

What I found weird is that I made a duck out of MMF as well and it was on the same plate and it never changed color just the bow.

Thanks for replying!!

sandy1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandy1 Posted 6 May 2009 , 1:34pm
post #5 of 7

You can try using a 50% MMF and 50% Gum Paste mixture. This will help speed up the drying time. As far as the violet changing color, this seems to be a problem since the red dye# used in the red/blue mixture to produce violet was changed to a different red dye#. I hope that keeping your bow in a dark area will help to prevent the violet from fading. Good luck.

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 6 May 2009 , 1:44pm
post #6 of 7

I took a gumpaste class from Nicholas Lodge and he specifically talked about the problems with purple gel colors. He uses the same colors for his gumpaste classes and can't get back to the "right" purple anymore. I'm not sure there is a good solution for now. I bought some purple dust from him to use when I really need it. icon_sad.gif

sugabear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugabear Posted 6 May 2009 , 1:50pm
post #7 of 7

Try adding red gel food color to your violet fondant. This has helped me. HTH.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%